Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2006-05-16, 10:31pm

Michelle, I got your address now and IŽll send you a pm too

Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-05-18, 11:11am
stacijane on Etsy

I have been reading all about the great spaces you guys have and I can't wait to get something set up for myself!!

I took my first class last month and I go back for a second in June. I can hardly wait! I have to drive over 1.5 hrs to get to class, but it's worth every minute! I am also lucky enough to have a very supportive hubby who has agreed to help me set up a little studio in a shed out back. I'm a little worried about keeping warm in the winter (gets cold here in NY!) but I'm sure we'll figure something out when the time comes.

I was all ready to order a torch a couple weeks ago but restrained myself from doing so until I have a place to set it up. It would be torture to see my new torch sitting in a box until I have "my space"! LOL
Old 2006-05-19, 11:49pm
Michelle Morrison-Geschke

Default There is NEWS!!!

It's in the driveway! It's in the driveway!
Yep, there is a pile of lumber...about to become a shed laying in front of my house!

My incredible hubby had the day off and got one of his buddies with a truck to help him haul it home.

So we are now in the "it's actually going to happen stage!". Wheeeee!
Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I would just do updates and post pictures as we go in this one! Sound good???

So here is the site...somewhere behind the swingset...back by the weeping willow tree...by the fence...where the black compost bin is...yea, that's the spot!

Yikes, I'm going to have to start looking for a torch (hoses, regulators, tanks)...a kiln (crossing fingers for a chili pepper!)...an oxycon (hello Justin, please answer my emails!)...tools...glass...Let me know if you stumble across any great deals!

I'll keep you posted!
Michelle

and
New items!

I'm mostly over at Facebook these days... and working. Life has gotten... Hectic. I will try to check messages here... but try FB if you need me...
Old 2006-05-20, 3:45am

Michelle, I do envy you now! I never can get own studio
But I am happy for you!

Blog

Old 2006-05-20, 4:57am

I'm so excited for you. Keep us posted and enjoy!

For the glass. Consider either an assortment or my preference a pound of white, some black and maybe 2 other colors. The black is actually dark transparent and acts more like a transparent than an opaque. The white shows what it is doing in the heat really well. I learned so much at a Jim Smircich class. (OK, first because he is amazing.) He had us work with specific limited colors. It helped eliminate the colors that look the same as they are still hot but not in the flame, showed us what was happening in the glass (white) and other things.

Someplace here there is a thread about best beginner hints. Different people had opinions on glass and such. That might be helpful while you wait to get rolling.

Good luck.

Last edited by Just Nancy; 2006-05-20 at 5:03am.
Old 2006-05-20, 7:20am

Hi Michelle,
I'm so proud for you. Hubbys usually come thru. Even if they grumble a bit. I cann't wait to see what you do.
There is a book called , " The Complete Book Of Glass Beadmaking" by Kimberley Adams. I got mine at Barns & Noble bookstore. It helps alot to learn different techinques.
James Kervins book is a excellent one, its called More Than YOu ever Wanted To Know About Glass Beadmaking.
Keep us posted.
Janet
Old 2006-05-22, 12:59pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond the Bead
It's in the driveway! It's in the driveway!
Yep, there is a pile of lumber...about to become a shed laying in front of my house!

My incredible hubby had the day off and got one of his buddies with a truck to help him haul it home.

So we are now in the "it's actually going to happen stage!". Wheeeee!
Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I would just do updates and post pictures as we go in this one! Sound good???

So here is the site...somewhere behind the swingset...back by the weeping willow tree...by the fence...where the black compost bin is...yea, that's the spot!

Yikes, I'm going to have to start looking for a torch (hoses, regulators, tanks)...a kiln (crossing fingers for a chili pepper!)...an oxycon (hello Justin, please answer my emails!)...tools...glass...Let me know if you stumble across any great deals!

I'll keep you posted!
Michelle
Lucky girl Michelle, You may want to check out Mike of the Glass hive fame for a kiln, his are the best and you could come pick it up or I could bring it to you, www.theglasshive.com
Old 2006-06-24, 12:17am

Default Shed Update - Sorry it took so long!

Ok, life got really busy...but the shed is still being built! Here are the latest pics!

Starting to "dig" out the base - Pouring rain!

Another rainy day with the rototiller - Wow, this guy loves me!

Gorgeous...and he can handle power tools! I love Biceps!

The floor is in!

Correction...the Dance Floor is in! All the neighborhood kids claimed it!

Now this is a great friend!

I've got walls...well, wall "bones" anyway!

And now there are roof "bones"!!!

My Honey Rocks!

and
New items!

I'm mostly over at Facebook these days... and working. Life has gotten... Hectic. I will try to check messages here... but try FB if you need me...
Old 2006-06-24, 5:18am
stacijane on Etsy

Yeah! Wall bones!!! LOL

Old 2006-06-24, 7:17am
Does it come in Purple???

Yea! Roof bones! Next comes skin!

~~

Bloodletting, mayhem and massacre first thing in the morning is the best way to start the day
Old 2006-06-28, 1:34pm

Looking good!!
Old 2006-07-09, 3:19pm
Irish Eyes A Smiling

Do you have a gas grill on your deck/patio? Does it get used? If you use an oxygen concentrator, there is no more increased danger potential. I started out in my basement, but was fearful and that was on a HH with MAPP. I then moved to the outside with minor burner, old card table with cookie sheet and concentrator.....there are options out there that won't endanger your home....explore them together!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond the Bead
He is just against the stuff that could blow up our little home!

Michelle

Old 2006-07-10, 12:21am

Default Thanks Ya'll - here's another update!

Mmmm, more pictures of my Darling Hubby working on my studio!!

See all that stuff in the air??

I've got windows on each side!

Best Husband in the world - award winner!

Windows and now walls!

It's starting to look....

Like a studio!

Here is our "crazy" son...trying to help...or at least be in the picture.

Stay tuned! More to come!

and
New items!

Old 2006-07-10, 7:18am
MomOnAMission

Looks GREAT, Michelle! What's the ETC (estimated time of completion)?
Old 2006-07-10, 8:22am

Default ETC! I love it!

Roseanne,
I think it is somewhere between now and hopefully...Christmas?

We looked at having someone come in and build it, but DH really wanted to do it for me himself (which is so sweet...how do you say no to that?)
He is a really busy man, so it is getting done by bits and pieces!

It should be done about the time I can finish financing the equipment to go with it...Hmmm, that doesn't give much of a completion date either!

I have the sweetest husband in the world, so having him build it himself means so much to me...I am happy to "torch on the porch" until it's finished!

Right now I'm using a HH (thanks to Teague!) and a fiber blanket. My minor and oxycon arrived a couple weeks ago, and the kiln arrives on the 21st!

So stay tuned and I'll keep updating the pics!

Michelle

and
New items!

Old 2006-07-10, 8:34am
MomOnAMission

That is so sweet! He wanted to do it himself for you Awww~ Congratulations on the new equipment!
Old 2006-07-10, 10:27am
Irish Eyes A Smiling

Awesome!!!

Old 2006-07-11, 11:01am
Does it come in Purple???

It has skin!!!!! A couple more weekends and you can move in. Are you planning on "finishing" the inside - meaning - insulation, A/C, etc.? Can't wait to see the finished product. I have a nice little corner carved out for myself in the garage but I dream of a building of my own - where no one can start piling stuff in "my space" .

~~

Bloodletting, mayhem and massacre first thing in the morning is the best way to start the day
Old 2006-08-16, 6:04pm

Default Finally getting around to an update!

Thanks to Janet and Linda for the inquiries on progress...I need to update my pictures!

We are still not done...can't get an electrician to come help us wire this thing! Must be nice to have so much work you can turn down jobs (or just not show up to appointments!)

Anyway, since my last post the exterior is finished!

See for yourself!
Got to put a roof on...we are in Oregon after all!

Trim is on - ready to paint...

And he paints too! Now if he just felt comfortable doing electrical...

Isn't it cute! He painted it "cape cod grey" and white to match the house!

Now time for shingles...

and the outside is done!

except maybe a flower box and porch!

Looking good!
What do you think??? I love it!

Michelle

and
New items!

Old 2006-08-16, 6:57pm

Looks great Michelle!!!
Know you are proud, pictures look great.
A flower box would set it off. I plan on putting one on mine but put silks in it so it doesn't ruin my building by the weight of the dirt.
Your hubby did a great job !!!

Janet
Old 2006-08-17, 8:38am
Hot Rod Addiction

Wow, what a guy your husband is. When you started this thread I was thinking, thank goodness I don't have to get approval from anyone to do what I want in my own house anymore (divorced a few years ago from a man who picked out paint colors, carpet and furniture - picture placement, etc. and didn't care what I thought about it).

NOW - I'm jealous that there's not someone out there who can help me like your DH is helping you. Have a great time making your space all yours and being a lampworking fool!
Old 2006-08-17, 8:44am
Formerly SirWatson

Great studio, Michelle! Your DH did a WONDERFUL job!

Now...can I borrow him for my studio?

<><
Old 2006-08-17, 11:04pm

Default Hee Hee!

Sorry Karla...I don't lend him out...he's too precious (and handsome)!!

You are not the first one to ask either! He has been slightly embarrassed by some of the PM's I've gotten. The funniest one was the offer to trade me him for his weight in glass! - Hmmm, come to think of it they didn't say what kind of glass??? Can you even order 200 lbs of Kronos, Oly rain, or RonJr's silver???

We still have the whole inside to do, so I'll have to ponder that some more!

Here is the start on the flooring (tile backer).

and
New items!

Old 2006-08-18, 5:51am

Your getting there fast!!! You'll be up torching real soon at this rate.
Janet
Old 2006-08-27, 12:59pm
Martyrs don't bitch.

Looks pretty adorable Michelle. I think Michelle had to get a shed for her studio because I have one.

Teague

< - Click for Etsy Shop
Old 2006-08-28, 12:14pm

Default Thanks Teague!

I know...He really is adorable isn't he!!! and he's smart too!

And the shed is looking pretty good too!
Yep, totally jealous when I saw your shed! Went home and and begged...

The best part about this whole shed thing...it actually was his idea!

M

and
New items!

Old 2006-08-28, 3:52pm
Martyrs don't bitch.

Ah ha! You are officially a master hubby trainer, making them think it is their idea is the pinnacle!

Teague

< - Click for Etsy Shop
Old 2006-09-16, 1:37pm

Hey girlfriend, updates on studio progress?

_
Old 2006-09-18, 11:08am

Default progress....???

Well, DH did do all the tile work last week, and the floor looks amazing! So he is still trying to get it finished. I'll have to post a picture of the tile!

We are "Stuck" when it comes to the electrical. We have been trying all summer to find an electrician that will do a "small job", and when one finally kept his appointment and showed up last week...well, the small $200 job is looking like it will be over $2K!!

Apparently none of our wiring is up to code (the house is from 1978!) and he thinks it was done wrong then! He apparently "had" to submit us to the city for inspection and permits, and now we are facing a huge fiasco!!

So as soon as we find a new electrician (I'll be darned if I'm going to pay him after all that!), get the city to inspect and issue permits... then we can finish the studio!! Keep your fingers crossed for me!!

and
New items!

Old 2006-09-18, 7:13pm

Oh Damn!
Jen