Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2007-05-02, 1:59am
BeadsonCypress

I have a fellow lampworker friend who visits the fencing contractors yards/stores and they GIVE her the cut-offs......can't get cheaper than that!!
Old 2007-05-02, 4:44am

If I get anywhere in Canada I'll post... I just thought I was being smart buying it while we were in the states last weekend!

Lynne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Send me an email or a PM
I answer everything, any excuse not to do something useful!
Old 2007-05-12, 4:06pm
Elles Beads

Check your yellow pages for Fencing Suppliers and call the different companies that sell/install the PVC fences. Almost all of them will give (or let you dumpster drive) the short leftovers. I stopped by my guy on Thursday, who told me that garbage pickup is now Wednesday so the better diving days are Monday and Tuesday.
Old 2007-05-12, 4:25pm
In search of her path....

cypress ive found the same thing....now that I actually work closer to one of the suppliers in the area i might be able to get some more! woo hoo!

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2007-05-15, 12:15pm

Every once in awhile I come back here just to drool at Barb's glass stock.
Jen
Old 2007-05-15, 8:30pm

Karin,
I swear you must just have the right smile or something. Each fence supplier I contacted told me not only did they not have scrap, but that they didn't have this style.

Luckily Boxergirl and her husband have found it at Meinards in Fort Wayne. I hate to think about when I might need more.
Old 2007-05-31, 7:24am
Button Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Nancy View Post
I swear you must just have the right smile or something. Each fence supplier I contacted told me not only did they not have scrap, but that they didn't have this style.
I haven't had any luck either. And Lowe's keeps telling me they can't get it.

My husband even went down to a fence supply place in Eaton Rapids (about 30 miles south of here). All they could scrounge up was 2 itty bitty pieces.

<heavy sigh>
Old 2007-05-31, 3:33pm
Knob Creek Glass

And I get more glass every month! Droool on.
Old 2007-08-24, 6:49am
reaction junkie

I had the fence posts and a larger holed shoebox thingy, but I just got this shelving/rack system from storables and I love it - it makes my glass sparkle!

You can customize them any number of ways.

Here is a picture of it in progress (I had to wait a week while they ordered the 4th rack, they were out of stock) and you can see my old glass storage on the right.

/
/
/
Old 2007-08-24, 10:51pm

Wink

for all you regretting what storage you started with, i have the perfect excuse for a mid-system switch:

"i HAVE to have different storage types for my different glass!"
Old 2007-08-29, 8:43pm
Previously silverfaeriedesigns

I'm so glad that I saw this before planning my glass storage. Wow! I'm in awe of the systems that you all have!!!

~

~

Nortel Minor with oxycon and NG
Old 2007-08-30, 9:00am
Glass-aholic

blue between how long is your glass cut to fit in there? It looks really nice!!!
________
WOMEN'S HEALTH FORUMS

Last edited by jaci; 2011-04-17 at 8:14pm.
Old 2007-08-30, 9:03am

If you really want to see it's beauty put some lights behind it. I usually just did some Christmas lights, but someone had regular lights in their cabinet. I love lit glass.
Old 2007-08-30, 1:30pm
reaction junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaci View Post
blue between how long is your glass cut to fit in there? It looks really nice!!!
the shelves are 10X36 and most of my glass is 12 or 13 inches long. Some is longer and I don't have a solution for those rods yet, other than letting them take up the shelve under the glass racks.

/
/
/
Old 2007-09-01, 8:39am

How does the glass not all fall to the bottom in the cage storage? Wouldn't pulling one rod out cause friction and pull on the other rods and send them crashing to the floor? What supports them in the middle between?

Old 2007-09-02, 9:35pm

I found it really hard to get the vinyl fencing in my area - they looked as though I was mad and when I admitted what it was for that was the end of the discussion!

When I went south in LA I found the vinyl fencing 4" by 4" and I bought some for my glass storage. I like my rods cut to 18" so for a 6' length I get 4.

Old 2007-09-06, 7:58am
Noobie

Look at all that glass!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbaracollins View Post
Here is my storage with the fence posts. Really sturdy.
Old 2007-09-06, 8:21am

OMG, that's insane!!! WOW!

Old 2007-09-06, 8:32am
SSDD... go ahead, ask me!

Oh my! That is what I picture heaven to be like!

I have 3 different systems at this moment. One for Moretti, Bullseye and Boro. I even bought longer shelves so I can store the Boro above the other two. Thank goodness my DH is showing an interest in making marbles and will help me with all this! *whew*
Old 2007-09-06, 2:28pm
><>

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadiesJewels View Post
I found it really hard to get the vinyl fencing in my area - they looked as though I was mad and when I admitted what it was for that was the end of the discussion!

When I went south in LA I found the vinyl fencing 4" by 4" and I bought some for my glass storage. I like my rods cut to 18" so for a 6' length I get 4.
If you need more...
It would be at a Lowe's in the garden Dept. wherever there is horse country near you.
If you call them first they will look for it for you at any store, through the computer.
That would be maybe (north) Marin or out by (east)Pleasanton or south)Morgan Hill?
I don't know where you are in the bay area.
"In the whole world I have no twin, and my face is not me. I am someone under the skin others see only in glances."
"I can live with not being popular,but not with compromising my beliefs in order to fit in." jh
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil." Thomas Mann
Old 2007-09-06, 6:38pm

The fence thing is so amazing. I searched and searched at Lowes and fence places. No one had it. Then Boxergirl found it at Meinards, I think she said in the outdoor building section.
Old 2007-09-06, 11:03pm
Glass-aholic

I just showed this to my boyfriend and said "arn't you glad i don't have that much glass?"
he said "i'm pretty sure you will!!!!"

HAHAHA he seemed scared when he say it! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbaracollins View Post
Here is my storage with the fence posts. Really sturdy.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2007-10-19, 10:52am
Glass addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBetween View Post
I had the fence posts and a larger holed shoebox thingy, but I just got this shelving/rack system from storables and I love it - it makes my glass sparkle!

You can customize them any number of ways.

Here is a picture of it in progress (I had to wait a week while they ordered the 4th rack, they were out of stock) and you can see my old glass storage on the right.

Thank you so much for posting these pics! I love this idea, and my order from storables shipped yesterday. Cannot WAIT to reorganize the glass when it gets here. Now if I could just figure out away to salve my inner OCD and label the boxes....
Old 2007-11-09, 6:02am
Anyone need some spacers?

I just went to Mendards today, they had the fence in stock and I purchased 6 of them. I am going back today to get 4 more ok maybe 5.

This is what they are called at Menards

Discription Sku Number Unit Price
2x6x96 Notched Fence Railpvc FW196M 172-3972 7.98

I hope this the people who are still looking.

I wen't to home depot first and the same posts were 9.89

The post are easy to cut with the saw but boy are they hard to get all the shavings out of.

Old 2007-11-09, 10:51am

Here is a photo of it done. I used 10, 8 foot pieces and had 4 foot left over but when we move it won't be set up like this so I will use them.

I think it looks so much cleaner, here is a photo of the old tubes. I gave them to one of my students who is just getting started.

This was along time ago when I was just starting. I had glass stuffed in all the little cracks between the pipes and it just wasn't working well.

Oh yeah, I am in a diffrent room and soon to move again in 7 months.

Old 2007-11-09, 11:19am
Your Royal Fritness

Tracy,

That looks Great! You got a nice price for them I had to order them from Lowes and I paid $12. If I need more I know where to get them.

See ya next week!

Dawn

Old 2007-11-09, 12:57pm

Nice job Tracy. I'm going to be needing more. I wanted to reorganize to begin with (and move it all) plus I just bought some more.

Since I only knew of one place that had it I hope they still do.
Old 2007-11-10, 5:47pm

How many more do you need? If you are going to be at the meeting Saturday I could bring some.

Old 2008-04-18, 8:56am
Does my glass look 2 big?

Another novice looking for a glass storage. I really like the vinyl fence system but you can't get it here in San Antonio either.
I called Lowe's and I am waiting to hear back from them.

I am just wondering if I am getting the right thing. Does this look like what I want? It doesn't have any other views and I'm a bit worried it might not be subdivided inside.

Thanks for any help!

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...01S&lpage=none

Old 2008-04-18, 10:37am
Button Queen

Yup. That's the one I was told to special order. I haven't gotten it yet though.