LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2008-04-18, 11:19am

That should be it. Typically it is divided for strength. I understand though I'd be happier knowing before I ordered it.

I've never found it myself in stores, but others have (even in my area). Good luck.

Barbara, next time you're at you folks you might check Meinards. I understand they have it in their outdoor lumber section. Again, I haven't seen it but I should go look for some, I'm running short and mixing stuff more than I'd like.
Old 2008-04-18, 4:43pm
Button Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Nancy View Post
Barbara, next time you're at you folks you might check Meinards. I understand they have it in their outdoor lumber section. Again, I haven't seen it but I should go look for some, I'm running short and mixing stuff more than I'd like.
I was just thinking I should take a quick run over the Menards around here and see if they got some in as a "seasonal" thing. Or at least order it. Their price is better than Lowe's...
Old 2008-04-19, 3:37pm
Absolutely loving it!!!!!

Smile

I use the plastic parts for railings, they are actually for the upright sections. The pieces are about 1 1/4" square and 33" long, so each one can be cut into three storage tubes. They stack great and hold about a pound of rods. They come in packages of 5 and you can get them at Lowe"s or Home Depot and they don't have anything to do with fencing so more of the stores carry them.
I absolutely love them.
Hope this helps
Merianne

Merianne
Old 2008-04-20, 9:31am
Does my glass look 2 big?

Thank you All!
It really is hard to get these parts ordered. I ended up buying 3, 10ft sections of vinyl downspout to hold for now the growing newbie stash. I think I can run a strip of very thin plywood and divide them in two. The most I have right now is 5 rods in the same color of just about 20 colors, the rest are just one of each color from my initial batch.

I order from a wholesale account, since my business is stained glass and they have lampworking supplies. I am getting rods that are 20" -22" long. Do any of you store them and use them this length or do you cut them down?

I'll look for the railings Louise, maybe I'll get lucky!

Thank you all!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-04-20, 10:09am

I'm sure it depends on the size and style of beads you make. I used to take my yard/meter long rods and cut them in half. I really liked that length. I usually sit down and do a twistie and a few stringers before making beads from a given color. The store I used to buy from closed and now I mail order my glass so it comes cut in 1/3s. Now I find I gt two rods out to get started.

I say give it a try and see what works for you. I would rather start with that length than 1/2 of it. Others have been here and cut mine in half just to start.
Old 2008-04-21, 2:25pm
CindyLynneGlass

Yup thats the stuff my Lowes has it out in the garden area. Its da bomb!!
You can use the PVC glue and it wont budge hubby has lots around for doing our sprinkler system.

Old 2008-04-22, 9:33am
Button Queen

Well, I found the fence post stuff at Menard's last night. Broke down and bought some. Brought it home sticking out of the trunk of my car. Hubby laughed at me. Said "We DO have a truck, I could have gotten it for you". Well, yeah, but MY way was WAY more fun! There's just something about the thrill of the hunt....
Old 2008-04-22, 1:51pm

Yeah Barbara! I need to get some more. I've never personally found any. I'll have to be in the truck, the back of the little vehicle doesn't open.
Old 2008-04-22, 6:33pm

Hey Ladies!

I've been lurking for quite some time but haven't really posted much. Ok once. I just wanted to offer my help to those of you having problems finding the fence railing. Lowe's is 3 minutes from my house and they have tons of it in stock. Less, of course, once my glass storage is complete! But I digress. I would be more than happy to pick some up for you, cut it into whatever length you desire, and ship it. If anyone is interested, just shoot me a PM.

Also, in case some of you are in the suspicious side, my husband Shane has been posting in here for a bit longer than I have. He's the one who will actually be cutting it, he just doesn't know it yet.
Old 2008-04-22, 6:36pm

Lucky Shane. Break it to him gently.
Old 2008-05-01, 11:56am
vepaints

Hi I have some pictures of what i came up with to access different color right on my table. A lazy susan that had little cutout circles, they were just the size of pvc that I hotglued into the holes. I can spin while I'm in the middle of a bead a get to the color pretty fast. I store only a variety of color there and the bulk in the drawers of my desk.
Attached Images

Last edited by vepaints; 2008-05-01 at 11:58am. Reason: misspelling
Old 2008-05-01, 12:11pm

I haven’t read all of the posts in this thread so if this has already been posted I apologize!
Corina recently posted directions for a slick, inexpensive, glass storage solution on her website.
http://www.corinabeads.com/pages/glassshelf.php
I really like the way it looks and plan to give it a try.
Old 2008-05-01, 12:17pm

Elleth, that's a different one than I've seen.

I have enough problems with dust that I don't think I'll ever try it but it sure is nice to see all that glass. Visiblility is what led me to find a supplier of the acrylic ones I have. (And I don't recommend that supplier any more in case people haven't seen my posts.)
Old 2008-05-02, 7:44am

Hi-
I'm looking to update my storage as well. I have pvc tubes cut and stacked in a large aquarium. I like being able to see it all clearly, but I'm having an issue with dust and mice. I'm thinking that I may want to go to an enclosed cabinet to keep dust & mice out of there. (Not to mention that I need to take care of the mice, but that's a whole other story). Anyway, any suggestions on cabinets that would hold these fence rails?

thanks-
Ana
Old 2008-05-03, 10:24pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elleth View Post
I haven’t read all of the posts in this thread so if this has already been posted I apologize!
Corina recently posted directions for a slick, inexpensive, glass storage solution on her website.
http://www.corinabeads.com/pages/glassshelf.php
I really like the way it looks and plan to give it a try.
thats certainly different. i think the draw back is the assemble, the amount of wall space it would use up as well what to do with a shorter rods you wish to put away. dust and pulling rods form the hangers also worry me. tubes or fence rails is the way to go. they condenses a lot of glass in a tight package, and even if you have a short rod it's store able. just my thoughts on that set up.

------------------------
Kobuki*Delta Elite*Mirage*Blast Shields*two DeVilbiss 5 LPM* tanks* foot pedal.
Old 2008-05-06, 1:53pm
Creative Spirit

Name:  DSCN0930.jpg
Views: 885
Size:  54.1 KB

Down spout works great.

Peace Wendy
Old 2008-05-08, 3:01pm

My Glass storage under $40.00!

I was lucky enough to find the fence railing at Lowe's on clearance. It was $3.50 per rail. I bought an inexpensive closet shelf (I think it was $14.95 or $19.95). I turned the shelf on it's side and built the railing up on it. Added a back splash to the railing and ..........TaDa!

It has 6 sections across and 13 deep, which gives me 234 cubbies. Now if I could only fill it all up.
Old 2008-05-11, 6:45am
Knob Creek Glass

It will not take long to fill it all up!!
Old 2008-05-11, 7:31am
Glass-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbaracollins View Post
It will not take long to fill it all up!!
exactly!

Hi my name is jaci... and...and I'm a GLASS~A~HOLIC.....

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2008-05-11, 8:09am

wow at $3.50 a rail, I might have built a fence. that is a steal !

------------------------
Kobuki*Delta Elite*Mirage*Blast Shields*two DeVilbiss 5 LPM* tanks* foot pedal.
Old 2008-05-11, 12:20pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by murf View Post
wow at $3.50 a rail, I might have built a fence. that is a steal !
Yes it was. I think they were discontinuing it though. They didn't really have enough to build a fence. I just found my receipt, it was actually $3.48 per rail. And I bought all 10 they had.
Old 2008-05-11, 2:57pm
I'm a lilac!

I really like the light-walled 1" PVC pipe... it holds about a pound, and it's about $1.20 for 10 feet at Home Depot. I stack it on shelves, and I can move the tubes about at will.

Old 2008-05-11, 5:36pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I didn't find any PVC that cheap or I might have used that instead.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-05-11, 6:50pm
Borovangelist

I finally found the vinyl fencing stuff at my local Grossmans. I was a bit annoyed though, because they had a bunch of busted pieces outside. I didn't need a completed fencing panel so I asked about buying some of the slats there. I didn't even ask for a discount. Noooooo, they can't just sell the slats. Still, it was 40.00 for the panel and it was 10 slats worth of material, so I bought it and just busted it up in the parking lot. I got 4 15" pieces from each slat and the pieces fit perfectly in two columns inside of a milk crate from Staples. I got all my boro into it this afternoon and still have lots of room

Unfortunately I have a few unmarked rods, blech.

|
|
Old 2008-05-12, 6:57am
Burning Fingers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
I really like the light-walled 1" PVC pipe... it holds about a pound, and it's about $1.20 for 10 feet at Home Depot. I stack it on shelves, and I can move the tubes about at will.

OOOHHHH - I have "glass envy". Makes my mouth water to see so much glass together.

/
/
/

Old 2008-05-12, 7:57pm
Borovangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P View Post
OOOHHHH - I have "glass envy". Makes my mouth water to see so much glass together.
Oh jeez, that's nothing. Kalera posted a picture over on GLDG that made everyone drool. That looks like maybe a third or quarter of her stash

|
|
Old 2008-05-16, 11:41am

Quote:
Originally Posted by menty666 View Post
Oh jeez, that's nothing. Kalera posted a picture over on GLDG that made everyone drool. That looks like maybe a third or quarter of her stash
No way!

Well I was going to post a picture of the shelf I bought to hold my fence rails, but not now. Nope, no way I'm going to post my beautiful glass storage with three rods of glass in it. Not now. Holy geeeeeze.
Old 2008-05-16, 12:14pm
I'm a lilac!

But you have to realize, I used to own a glass supply company, I have a good excuse!

Old 2008-05-16, 6:31pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
But you have to realize, I used to own a glass supply company, I have a good excuse!
THat's your story and you're sticking to it?

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-05-18, 10:35am
Favorite color is shiny

I'm soo happy to say that I finally found the PVC fence railing. After searching every Home Depot and Lowes I had placed this "need" on the back burner. I stopped by a local fence company to purchase wood fencing for my new place and *poof voila* there it was. They had a floor model of the fencing set up and I asked if they had it in stock or would they have to order it. He said, "We have all you want". YAY!! I made myself clear that I just wanted the railing not the posts, he gave me a funny look and said, "Ahh, okay". Soooo...in a few days I'm going back to buy and try my best to get it my car...hee*. I guess I should just have them include it with the delivery of my other fencing material. If all goes well.... maybe I can help others who can't seem to find this specific type railing a.k.a. great glass storage!! hahaha*

I'm back after a long time with a cold torch. Torch Lit.... Life is goooood.....now!

---> LE