No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2007-02-09, 5:16pm
reaction junkie

Default My Studio: A WIP (Almost Done!)

I thought I'd share my studio as it gets built - the lumber was just delivered and the construction guys show up Monday and start building.

Here is my my plan, it will be 10X12 (from a Sunset Garages and Sheds book):

Here is where it's going, eventually with a nice wandering path and flowers and all:

This will be my view (more or less, landscaping needs to happen in a big way):

I'm so excited, I can't wait to make beads again, but making the studio will be fun too

Pam

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/
/
/

Last edited by BlueBetween; 2007-06-04 at 12:51pm. Reason: change title
Old 2007-02-09, 5:18pm
Shine your bright side!

Pam!!!

Hi there...how are ya?

hugs and smoochies my old LJ friend.

LOve your plans for the new studiio! How's your adorable son?

Website!
"When you discover your mission, you will feel its demand. It will fill you with enthusiasm and a burning desire to get to work on it." - W. Clement Stone
Old 2007-02-09, 5:19pm
reaction junkie

Oh, and here is my pile o' lumber:

/
/
/
Old 2007-02-09, 5:21pm
reaction junkie

Hi Bonnie! LOL!!! It is a small world Luke is great - getting bigger and smarter every day, naturally

Hugs!
Pam

/
/
/
Old 2007-02-09, 10:00pm

Wow! That looks like a fun project and a great site!
Old 2007-02-10, 7:47am
Formerly SirWatson

Beautimous! I can't wait to see more pictures!

<><
Old 2007-02-11, 5:08pm
reaction junkie

Slight change of plans... We couldn't fit it diagonal in the corner without having to cut down an old lovely rhody tree - so it's going to sit square in the corner facing west. And I decided to change the dimensions to 9X13 or 117 square feet - I loose 3 square feet but it fits better in the space and my stainless table top will fit better at the one end of it. And the contractor doesn't know it yet, but I'm getting two 2x2 skylights for him to install - one on the east side, one on the south side.

site - way in the back, roped off:

And the new view with some of the bushes and trees and plants cleared... I'm glad it's been sunny and warmish these past two days!

/
/
/
Old 2007-02-11, 8:12pm
Covered in glitter

Pam!!! Hi girl, how are you! Is this at your new house? I haven't been to wearables for a long, long time so I don't know what's been happening with everyone. I can't wait to see your studio! Kisses to Luke

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2007-02-12, 10:30am
reaction junkie

Hi Deb! I can't wait to see it either! I'm waiting for the construction guys to show up - they should be here any time to lay down the footings/foundation/whatevers.

Yes, this is at the new house - I've been here almost a year and almost a year without melting glass! Except for a weekend I tried to set it all up outside on my porch last summer, but it didn't work out - too windy, too sunny... It was good for a couple of hours though. I can't wait to get back to it - so many ideas... Oh I've got a house blog if you want to see the house - it's.... well, lots more work than we thought it would be... so much to do here, it may never get all done. http://cottage-by-the-sea.blogspot.com/

What the heck are you up to???

/
/
/
Old 2007-02-12, 1:45pm

Ohhhh...... how exciting. I know just how you are feeling. Congratulations! Keep us posted!

Old 2007-02-12, 1:59pm
critter creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBetween View Post
Here is my my plan, it will be 10X12 (from a Sunset Garages and Sheds book):
Let's just hope that it sits a little more straight than that I'd get sea-sick working in that building
Old 2007-02-12, 3:05pm
reaction junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnimelf View Post
Let's just hope that it sits a little more straight than that I'd get sea-sick working in that building
OMG let's hope! Still waiting for the foundation part - he's late late late.

/
/
/
Old 2007-02-12, 6:40pm
reaction junkie

Not much progress to report. He ran out of concrete - I guess the holes had to be deeper than he thought, once he saw the spot we were putting it on, it's got a little bit of a slope. Tomorrow the holes get filled up and then sit to dry. I think actual building/construction will start on Wednesday. I hope so anyway!

/
/
/
Old 2007-02-12, 6:46pm
reaction junkie

gnimelf, is this better?! LOL - I just got an add from Summerwood and there was my studio! My sunset book must have gotten the design from them. And we are having it built for half the cost of the Summerwood kit. Yay!

http://www.summerwood.com/products/s.../1/detail.html

/
/
/
Old 2007-02-12, 8:13pm

Hang in there.... it will all work out! I

Old 2007-02-14, 9:48am
reaction junkie

Of course we've hit a snag. Old pipes in the ground and no one knows if they are live or not. So now we have to wait for a "locator" to come and give his opinion.

Maybe some progress in a week or so...

/
/
/
Old 2007-02-14, 10:32am

Dagnabit!!! Hang in there!

Old 2007-02-20, 6:28pm
reaction junkie

It's ok, we are back on track! Sort of. Well we are. Just the windows I wanted couldn't be found so I decided to go with double doors. The ones I ordered (NICE!) were so expensive hubby almost choked and keeled over when I told him, so I cancelled that and ordered some slightly less expensive, mucho less attractive glass doors instead... and the guys came today and started building. And OMG it's way higher off the ground than I thought, but then I hadn't realized the land sloped as much as it did... and now it will need a porch. I can't see it yet... yikes, not going the way I thought at all.

Here's a shot, more tomorrow:

/
/
/
Old 2007-02-20, 6:33pm

Ohh, a porch would be great! When you need a break from beading you could go out and sit in a rocker and think about that next great bead! Yeah, a porch! Two rockers, in case a friend wants to join you.
Old 2007-02-20, 10:56pm
Fusing Glass

Hi PAM! its so good to see you. I bet you cant wait to get into that baby can you? I hope you dont have anymore glitches in building it. I sure miss seeing your beautiful eyecandy!

huggs ,mary
Old 2007-02-21, 9:15pm
reaction junkie

hiya Mary!!! No, I just can't wait! And the progress is SLOW. Today he put the floor down and some 2x4's.... and then left. Maybe more tomorrow, I HOPE!

Donna, that's a great idea, a porch for friends - I'm going to wait til it's done to figure out the porch part. I'm thinking bricks right now... but I can't picture anything really (yet).

Here's today's tiny bit of progress:

/
/
/
Old 2007-02-22, 5:50pm
reaction junkie

a floor, 4 walls, a space for the door and the start of the roof. Good day! It's so BIG though... here I was thinking cute "little" garden shed. Not really. It's going to be perfect though

/
/
/
Old 2007-02-22, 5:52pm

Looking good! Naaaa....... not too big... if you build it ~ you will fill it! Once it's all done it will fit right in.

Old 2007-02-22, 5:55pm
reaction junkie

yeah, I'm thinking... maybe there's room for all of my crafty stuff and I can get all that out of the house and have a guest room again. Maybe!

/
/
/
Old 2007-02-24, 9:55am

Too big? No way! Before you know it you will be adding on a bathroom so you never have to leave. What a little dream studio.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2007-02-24, 9:57am

Is this a kit, or are you just building from a set of plans? It looks very well done.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2007-02-24, 11:10am
reaction junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by e. mort View Post
Is this a kit, or are you just building from a set of plans? It looks very well done.
Thanks Eric - we have builders building it. hey did our house remodel (old house) several years ago and do a great job. The plans are not very good - they came out of the Sunset Sheds and Garages book - and the buildiner is just kind of doing it his way to make it look my way. More or less. It's taller than the book because the doors are taller, and in the book it was 8x10 and ours is 9x13. This thing is going to be super sturdy - not a home depot shed at all, but pretty close to the same price (except for my glass doors which cost a fortune). They are just doing the outside and then we will insulate and sheetrock it and put a floor in ourselves. Yes, if it only had a bathroom, I could live in it! I'm so excited... but no progress yesterday. The doors come monday and I suspect they will finish the roof monday too. I hope!

/
/
/
Old 2007-02-25, 7:21am

It is fun to watch the process. Wish we had someone doing my shop. We are doing it all ourselves but it will be rewarding when done. The cabinets are the next step....
I adore your design. You will love having some sort of patio or porch. I had a picnic table near the door of my other shop and it was so handy. Trust me.... your shop will fill up fast. What are your plans for oxy/propane tanks and ventilation??

Old 2007-02-25, 7:24am
Shine your bright side!

Lookin' good, Pam!

Website!
"When you discover your mission, you will feel its demand. It will fill you with enthusiasm and a burning desire to get to work on it." - W. Clement Stone
Old 2007-02-25, 10:15am
reaction junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAG View Post
It is fun to watch the process. Wish we had someone doing my shop. We are doing it all ourselves but it will be rewarding when done. The cabinets are the next step....
I adore your design. You will love having some sort of patio or porch. I had a picnic table near the door of my other shop and it was so handy. Trust me.... your shop will fill up fast. What are your plans for oxy/propane tanks and ventilation??
Yes, I need to think about cabinets too - my old storage system is being used in the basement, so I'll have to come up with something new. We are going to build a 2x4 workbench to put my stainless top on... and then I was thinking of just an ikea armior to store my glass in.

I have an oxycon and everything I need from my old studio except the ventillation - I had to leave it at the old house - but that's ok because it was so loud I didn't love it. This one I'm doing something funky - I have a blower on order from grainger and I bought a $20 galvanized tub to use as my hood rather than gutting out a kitchen hood. Will have to hook all of that up, not sure how it's all going to work out but I thought it would fit the whole garden studio theme

/
/
/