Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2007-11-05, 3:23pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Well I think it would DEFINITELY be a writeoff: I have a promotional DVD that I plan to play if I ever do shows. LOL!

Some of you might know that I'm in the process of applying for a zero interest deferred loan through the city to bring my house up to code. So far, I've turned in every one of the billion bits of paper and documentation they've asked for. Next step is a preliminary inspection of the house and its systems. That was supposed to take place in 4 to 8 weeks, according to a call I received this morning.

About an hour ago, the inspector called. He wanted to come TOMORROW MORNING. Um, no. I don't think so. LOL! So he's coming a week from Wednesday at 1:30PM. The day before my birthday.

We've been doing serious work on the house, to include scraping paint off of everything: Woodwork, ceilings, walls... We put up a new storm door. Right now the place is in utter chaos. John is scraping in the living room, and we've moved some stuff (books, art glass, etc) into boxes, some stuff into the dining room and shoved everything else to whatever part of the room he isn't scraping. The dining room is already scraped. The foyer is already repainted, and just needs work on the wood trim.

So we now have a week to get ready for this inspection. That means I have to get my office cleaned (argh). Everything. Including my studio. I am SO FREAKING AFRAID that this guy will see my setup and say, "What were you thinking? You can't do THAT down here!!!!!" So I'm going to try to make it look as innocuous as possible. Maybe I'll even set up my Betta instead of my Barracuda. LOL! Less scary looking.

House sitter helper person is coming Wednesday, so I'll put her to work, too.

I'm really nervous about this inspection. Oh, what it's for is to see what it will take to bring the house up to code. That includes things like roof, electrical, plumbing and who knows what else. If it can all be done for under $25K, then we're probably in. If it's over that, then we're out.

They also test for lead paint. Um... This house is 100 years old. Chances are there's tons of lead paint. If there is, they use an $18K GRANT (not loan) for lead abatement. During the fix, you have to move out. Where, I don't know. I have two cockatoos, a large dog and three cats for pete's sake. Someone here on LE had this done, and the team took all the lead paint off and then repainted. I would die if they paint the wood we're trying so hard to strip.

My kitchen is a joke: We have no cupboards. No counters. Holes in the ceiling and walls from previous emergency repairs: "Oh, don't worry about bashing a hole there. We're redoing the whole thing anyway." And here we are several years later. *sigh*

I am really happy that programs like this exist. But I am afraid that it will get out of hand. I don't WANT my woodwork painted, for example. And by even considering it, I feel as though I'm tossing out my comittment to debt free living. But frankly, at the rate I'm going, I'll never be able to get the roof replaced or the wiring re-done. Crap.

Oh well... If nothing else, by the time my birthday rolls around, the house should at the very least be nice and CLEAN, and the inspection will be over, giving me even more reason to celebrate!

Also Available in
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: my Electroforming for Everyone booklet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-11-05, 4:41pm
as in the state

IF they are truly into historic preservation, they won't repaint the wood you are trying to leave unpainted. If there is lead paint, their main concern is removal, so if you ask them to leave the wood unpainted after old paint is removed, then they should do that for you. UGH. What a huge job to strip all of that!!

I would love a house that old! What a wonderful history! Yes, fix ups could be a pain in the butt....but wow! Mine's only 50ish years old, nothing like the house I imagined I'd end up in. Well, not that I live there right now, but, maybe someday? Hee.

I"m sure they'll understand about the minor fix up projects. Every homeower has things that need to get done, but they're only cosmetic. The house I grew up in didn't have a basement ceiling. The entire time I was growing up! Never did get done. I told myself it wasn't going to be like that with my house. Well...since I've been travelling, the water heater blew up, and half of the wall is now missing. It's been probably 2 years and it's still missing. Now, when I actually get home for more than 4 days at a time, and more than 10 days a year, I'm going to have to have something done with that because it will drive me friggin' nuts. Time to finish all those little "honey do" projects that have been waiting around for eons. Now that I have a wet saw, I can finish the ceramic tile backsplash I started in my kitchen when I bought the place 6 years ago. I think I have like....2 1/2 tiles left.

How fun to do that, though! I love working on my house! And you're right...you'll have good reason to celebrate for your birthday because the inspection will be behind you, the house will be cleaner than you thought it could be, and life will be good. Yep yep!

-Amy
Old 2007-11-05, 7:43pm

I would take the torch out completely!! lololol
Those programs are wonderful because otherwise we would lose a lot of those old houses!! My parents had a similar program where they take the $$ off their taxes and don't have to pay taxes on their house for years. They got a new roof and cupboards in the kitchen and the floors redone.

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2007-11-06, 10:58am

Just a random thought. You don't have to hire a Tink keeper. Offer one on one classes, or a sit with Tink week, make it so you have two torches. That way someone is paying you to be the "Tink keeper" and both of you are torching. Just a random thought.
Jen
Old 2007-11-06, 1:43pm
Anyone need some spacers?

This house loan thing sounds like tons of work but it will sure be worth it if you get the loan. I am not sure what to think about the lead based paint thing. In the long run it would be a great thing to have done for free but I understand not knowing where you will go and what you will do with your pets. How long does it normaly take to strip all the lead based paint from a home does anyone no?

Old 2007-11-06, 1:54pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Well, I actually DO offer one-on-one classes, but I don't talk about it much. LOL! It's not cheap, but it is definitely an experience It's not something I'll do with just anyone, if that makes sense.

Argh re: the inspection thing. Bless John's heart... I'm kind of limited with what I can do, and I feel guilty that he's working so hard and I'm... Well, I'm not doing a lot of physical stuff. I am cooking dinner today, so I guess that's something. I'm working on my office, and I'll probably work on the bedroom, too. I have a buttload of clothes in the teeny tiny closet. How freaking small WERE these people back in 1900??? I mean they must have been like 3 ft tall and only had two outfits, 'cause I sure can't see any other way they could put clothes in that closet.

Also Available in

Old 2007-11-06, 2:46pm
Evil Glass Enabler

Seeing the flicker in florescents can be a real PITA. Maybe 300 watt bulbs like we currently have in our shop? Good luck with your lighting and cleaning. Angelique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink View Post
Deborah, I'm looking forward to seeing your studio in person next May! Anyone who has ever thought they'd like to visit Alaska, here's a perfect opportunity for you! I'll be up there teaching for a few days. I've been to Alaska once before, and it was incredible! The most beautiful place I've ever seen. Ever. To mix that much beauty and adventure with melting glass will be HEAVEN!!!!!

I spent yesterday mulling all this over. So much to think about. But I *do* think that I need to be smart about it. So I'm trying

There are two reasons overhead fluorescents won't work down there: Low ceilings and the fact that I can "see" flicker in fluorescents and they give me a headache. I think I'll be fine lighting wise if I can just stick some lamps down there and maybe do something about the whole 'bare bulb' issue.

What it needs before anything is a lot of elbow grease. My house sitter also does errands and cleaning for me, so she's coming over this Wednesday to work on my office and the studio and some other stuff. While I love the quaintness of the brick walls down there with remnants of paint stuck to them, the brick is pretty flaky and ends up making a mess. I agree that I should paint the walls. Maybe not white... Off white, perhaps? And I'd like to paint the floor. I think I saw some official Basement Floor Paint at Menards or something.

But first, the walls and floor need to be CLEANED. I don't know how it gets so dirty down there, but John says it's because, basically, it's a really really old house. However it happens, it needs to be cleaned and cleaned well. I will put Jeanne to work on that.

Also, the wallboard (kind of like really thin drywall) they used down there at some point all needs to come down. I pulled a lot of it down when I set up my studio, but there's still a lot in place.

Once that's done, and it's cleaned and painted, I think it will be a million times better! Maybe add some more shelving... And something that has drawers in it... Boombox... TV... DVD player... Hopefully, that will do it.

Oh, and I really really want a little fridge down there Any recommendations?

I pulled something in my back this morning, so I'm gonna pop some Ibuprofen. Once it kicks in, I think I'll go melt some glass. It's so easy to let a concept/project like this suck your entire life into its abyss, and I can't let that happen. I need to make/sell work or the bills don't get paid, much less any renovations or changes to my workspace!

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2007-11-06, 3:00pm
Evil Glass Enabler

Talking

Pipyr, that's what Killz is for. Angelique

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipyr View Post
Oh, darlin'...I think you really need to spend more time with me before you go making statements like that

And I copy loud and clear

Oh! And I hadn't really thought of it, but beware of white or off-white paint on brick walls, even with plenty of primer...stains will definitely bleed through!! Maybe someone has an idea of how to avoid that? I just remembered my old house, though...there was a concrete section in one of the rooms and it was really, really gross because I painted it white and it kept turning yellow on me. Yuck.

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2007-11-06, 3:26pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bead_bug View Post
I think the web cam idea is a fun one but could be a distraction.

You need a TV down there so you don't have to run upstairs to see if the Family Guy is on. This isn't a purchase you should put off. Just think of it as I need to sell ??? many vessels to pay for the TV, set down and work twards having Family Guy playing in your studio. You could even rent the whole season of the show to get the work done.
Totally. Or a laptop or a DVD player. One disc on play and you'd have something wonderful created. Or two.

That said. I think you need to strike a balance. I know you worry about giving 100% to the job. That is hard with it being in the home. I liked moving my studio to the barn. But there are times (like now) when I should go do a couple things bouncing around in my head, but I'm not. So first I think you need to get a grip on working enough to fill your creative itch and your financial needs. Then the rest is your time to do as you choose. I'm not sure you'll be happy working in a fully lighted space. So. I suggest coming to more Indiana/Michigan events. That will fill part of the social seeing people. Then I have another idea or question. I'd like to figure out a good way to do this and my start to experiment. Why don't we do more with our web cams? Not so much full time, but as a networking option? I mean we post here, but we could be switching on and doing a real wave instead of a green face with a hand. Wouldn't it be fun if we took a few minutes and visited or shared a new thing with movement? I think it might be a step towards staying involved, and feeling better about going to events. Just thinking outloud here and breifly hijacking your thread. Just a thought.

I hope you find what works for you.
Old 2007-11-06, 6:37pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Nancy, I wish that just *knowing* that I need to strike a balance would make it so. If that were the case, I would have had this dealt with 22 years ago. LOL! I need very definite boundaries (like locking up the store when you leave or driving home or something). Maybe what I need to do is put a lock on the basement door and symbolically lock it when I "quit work" for the day or something.

We have a week to get ready for the inspection. Argh. John is really busting his butt. He truly is the World's Best Fiancee! After spending all day cleaning the laundry room, which is in the basement and is where the Dreaded Litter Boxes are, he did some laundry, and now is back to moving furniture and scraping layer upon layer of paint and wallpaper of the living room walls and ceiling. He's also packing stuff away that will be in our way while we do all this.

All I've done today is work on trying to fix my email situation, went to the store a couple of times, cooked dinner and started sorting through stuff to get rid of in the bedroom.

Ok. This thread has drifted more than a little. I can see that I'm going to be a little obsessed on the side with the whole house loan/remodel/inspection situation. I think I'll start a new thread for house talk in general.

Back to the studio thing: John is going to sweep/mop my studio. I'll go down there and wash shelves and stuff and size up the situation. I've decided to keep an eye on the pre-holiday sales for TVs with built in DVD players. I would really like to keep it under $200. If any of you spot something you think would work for me, let me know, ok? Because of a lack of tabletop space, a flat screen would be awesome, but I won't hold my breath.

Looks like I'm going to have to devote more of my Gorilla shelving to fence posts for glass storage. I really never thought I'd fill up what I had. It's not that I have a LOT of glass, it's that I have a tiny bit of a lot of KINDS of glass. But I do need to get it all labeled and sorted.

Also Available in

Old 2007-11-06, 7:09pm

Saw this and thought of you Tink!

Good luck with all the ideas...if it's meant to be...it will happen!!
Attached Images

Old 2007-11-08, 10:33am

Tink,
Ok, got it. My husbands business is at the house here and so far this morning we have had 6 customers walk in unannounced. We wanted some time this morning to work on house stuff and guess what we did not get it. As we dealt with things we started talking about you and John. (were your ears ringing?) He agrees with you 100 percent that your studio and business needs to be out of the house. His question was this. Is there a small building or store front the city would help you buy? In many cases when a city is trying to rebuild their downtown or create an arts district they will offer many things to entice buyers. We realize it will mean cutting into your debt free living. However if it is done as a separate incorporated business it would stand on it's own with loans etc.

Didn't you mention awhile back going to a meeting that had something to do with the Arts council in Toledo? You wanted to get in to this organization on the ground floor? My memory is poor so I am sorry if this is confusing. His idea was to look for a car shop or old gas station that has gone out of business and get that property. Can you tell he is a "carnut"?

You have skills, talent and the desire. We believe in you and John -- big hugs and support from both of us.

Jen
Old 2007-11-08, 1:06pm

Soooo... I've been reading this whole very interesting thread. I'm sorry the space you were looking at didn't work out Tink.. it sounded too good to be true! One thing struck me throughout the thread... your dislike of going "down there" and being isolated.

It seems to me that since it's the glass work supporting you... that's pretty important. Is it at all feasible to turn part of the regular house into your studio... and turn the basement into something else that wouldn't need so much remodel?

Maybe even add on a room just for the studio? It might cost less to add on a room than remodel the basement area... and you'd end up with what you wanted... instead of trying to MAKE the basement work.

It would be less isolated & feel less dungeon like. I have a friend who has her studio in what's supposed to be the Dining room... right between the kitchen and the living room. She did that on purpose so she'd still be part of the family action... even when torching.

Good luck girlie!

Old 2007-11-09, 7:50am

Quote:
It's dirty and dusty... Where DOES that dirt come from??? It's not like anyone is tracking stuff down there. It's freakin' weird. Anyway, it needs a good cleaning and some paint. Oh, and at some point someone put up wallboard of some sort up and put wallpaper on . In the 1960s, maybe. It's really crappy looking. I have removed a lot of it (the area around my bench) but there's lots more that needs to go.
Hi Tink,

I think I can perhaps help you w/ where the dirt is coming from. I also work in a basement studio and for years I wondered where the dirt & bugs were coming from. I first thought getting new windows would help, glass block. It did a little but I really found the solution when after moving out & a year later moving back in (that's a whole other story ). I decided to paint before I set up my studio and when I was preping everything I noticed small crack/openings between the basement wall & the house above. These weren't openings that you could see outside from, just openings/spaces where insulation should be. I didn't want to get that fiberglass type insulation so I opted for that expandable foam that comes in a canister that expands & hardens when dry.

I poked that little straw that comes with it in every space/crack I could find all around the perimiter of my pasement and within days of it hardening and after cleaning up I have noticed a 'significant' reduction in dirt & bugs coming in. I did go a bit overboard in some areas but it was worth it. I think I used anywhere from 6-8 cans for the entire perimiter.

Hope this helps........
Rita

Last edited by Rita S; 2007-11-09 at 8:20am.
Old 2007-11-09, 8:17am

Quote:
I've decided to keep an eye on the pre-holiday sales for TVs with built in DVD players. I would really like to keep it under $200. If any of you spot something you think would work for me, let me know, ok? Because of a lack of tabletop space, a flat screen would be awesome, but I won't hold my breath.
Hi Again,

Because I too have limited counter space I ended up getting a tv stand that attached to the ceiling joists and hangs down. The tv, a 13", sits on & is strapped to a platform. I think it was about 50-60.00 online.

Rita