Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2011-06-10, 6:09am
Growing Edge Glass

Question A good photo printer....recommendations?

Just thought I'd get a few suggestions for a good color photo printer....something that will print quality photos that I can sell.

I want a printer that will print gorgeous color photos....from small to larger prints....not talking poster size.

Something that won't eat up huge amounts of ink.

I've priced printers from 149.00 up to 2500.

I don't want to spend more than a couple hundred.

If you're a photographer/hobby photographer.....do any printers come to mind?

Thanks for any input.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-glass cabochons, clay pendants~~~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2011-06-10, 7:55am
Loving learning

You might find some good info at this forum. At least a lot of opinions, LOL.
I used to spend a lot of time at the retouching forum playing with photos, but I did a bit of reading on the printer forum a time or three.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/fo...rinting-forum/
Old 2011-06-10, 8:39am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truewealth View Post
Just thought I'd get a few suggestions for a good color photo printer....something that will print quality photos that I can sell.
So you want a printer to print out photos for you to sell? As in limited prints?

Honestly, I'd just send them out to have them professionally printed. You will not be able to get the same quality as a professional printer, without buying a professional printer.
Old 2011-06-10, 9:44am
Loving learning

I've come to realize that I'm better off printing that way cost wise also.
Old 2011-06-10, 10:38am
Growing Edge Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneIrish View Post
So you want a printer to print out photos for you to sell? As in limited prints?

Honestly, I'd just send them out to have them professionally printed. You will not be able to get the same quality as a professional printer, without buying a professional printer.

Yeah..I will definately use a professional printing company if I find I'm selling alot of my work.

I want a good quality printer for myself when I want to print just a few copies. I know the cost of inks/papers would be much too high to run a large amount of prints myself.

-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2011-06-10, 10:39am
Growing Edge Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
You might find some good info at this forum. At least a lot of opinions, LOL.
I used to spend a lot of time at the retouching forum playing with photos, but I did a bit of reading on the printer forum a time or three.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/fo...rinting-forum/
Will check the forum...thanks!

-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2011-06-10, 11:02am

Have you looked at SmugMug.com? you can order prints in various sizes from them. VERY reasonable pricing and their quality is top notch. I use them when I want a particular photo printed.
Old 2011-06-10, 11:45am
Growing Edge Glass

I've never heard of SmugMug.com ...I'll check them out...thanks!

I have sample packets from GotPrint.com and then another one....just can't remember the name of it! I think someone on LE had mentioned it a while ago....anyway...I'll definately check SmugMug!

-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2011-06-10, 12:06pm

Smugmug is actually a photo sharing/storage website. $40 a year gets unlimited storage space. But, they have a really easy user friendly printing ability.
Old 2011-06-10, 12:21pm
Growing Edge Glass

Yeah..I was just checking them out and noticed that they offer storage space.

All of the pro printers online seem to have made the process fairly easy...which I really appreciate!

-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2011-06-10, 12:42pm
ManBearPig

How large of a print do you want to print?

If you just want 4x6, there are some decent inexpensive ones out there. Epson printers have the best tonal range I believe. If you want 8x10 or something, be prepared to shell out several hundred bucks.

This is the one we have: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...Value=1109&q=1

Old 2011-06-10, 12:52pm
Growing Edge Glass

Holy Cow Cosmo.....your printer is worth more than my car!!!

I guess I was thinking along the lines of 4x6 to 8x10....although I've seen alot of Epson printers that print 11x13, I believe....or maybe it was 13 x 19.

I was looking at the Epson Stylus 1400....I like what I've read about Epson printers..so that is the direction I was going.

-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2011-06-10, 1:42pm
ManBearPig

It's not mine. It's where I work. Of course, I'm the only one who knows how to use it, so it may as well be mine...

Old 2011-06-10, 3:42pm
Growing Edge Glass

Lucky you....and them...since you're the only one who knows how to use it!

-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2011-06-10, 6:39pm

We are using Kodak ESP 5250 printers (we have 2). They seem to do a pretty decent job of printing and the cost of ink is quite reasonable. A set of cartridges (both black and color) are about $30. The output isn't as intense as a professional printer but it is still sufficient for producing prints for sale.

Prior to the second Kodak I used an HP 8250. I thought it would be better because it had five separate color cartridges plus the black and white. But it didn't seem to do any better than the Kodak 5250 and a full set of cartridges was running $70 plus. I changed because it died an early death -- print head failure and couldn't get any help from HP

I bought our latest Kodak 5250 at Staples for $149.

Old 2011-06-10, 7:14pm
Fancy Mammal

Quote:
Exactly where I was going to point you as well.

Quote:
I've come to realize that I'm better off printing that way cost wise also.
Unless you're a bit of tech-nerd and really enjoy mucking about with printer profiles and calibrating - I would strongly suggest going the "get things printed route".

On DPReview, you'll see people doing estimations on how much a single print costs - but that's just ink and paper, not your time. Nor does it include the cost of forgetting to change paper orientation or the printer jams and you have to reprint, or my favorite, printing with photo ink with matt paper (or vice versa). Also, printing on different papers require different profiles, otherwise you get color casts... I've spent way, way more money just on things that I tossed than I would on getting standard prints. But I love the process and finding the perfect support for a series of images, so it works for me.

If you do love the tech nerd stuff, the Epsons with ultra chrome inks are what most photographers use, they've solved many of the problems they used to have, so I would say you can't go wrong there!
Old 2011-06-10, 7:57pm

Epson cann't be beat . I have one and love the sharpness and color of the photos.
Janet C.
ETA: I use mine to copy old family photos. And they turn out better than the orginals.

Last edited by Janetlee; 2011-06-10 at 8:28pm. Reason: more info
Old 2011-06-10, 9:57pm
Alaska Boro

It all depends if you desire to have amateur or professional prints. Have been using the Canon IPF 5000 and it does a wonderful job. May consider updating to the newer IPF 5100.

There are a number of print houses that will produce prints by submitting the digital data via the net. The downside is that one needs a rather fast internet connection. And there are firms in India that will do retouching for reasonable prices.
Old 2011-06-11, 5:33am
Growing Edge Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjbremer View Post
We are using Kodak ESP 5250 printers (we have 2). They seem to do a pretty decent job of printing and the cost of ink is quite reasonable. A set of cartridges (both black and color) are about $30. The output isn't as intense as a professional printer but it is still sufficient for producing prints for sale.

Prior to the second Kodak I used an HP 8250. I thought it would be better because it had five separate color cartridges plus the black and white. But it didn't seem to do any better than the Kodak 5250 and a full set of cartridges was running $70 plus. I changed because it died an early death -- print head failure and couldn't get any help from HP

I bought our latest Kodak 5250 at Staples for $149.
I've never checked out the Kodak printers.....will do so...thank you!

-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2011-06-11, 5:35am
Growing Edge Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by parisgal View Post
Exactly where I was going to point you as well.

Unless you're a bit of tech-nerd and really enjoy mucking about with printer profiles and calibrating - I would strongly suggest going the "get things printed route".

On DPReview, you'll see people doing estimations on how much a single print costs - but that's just ink and paper, not your time. Nor does it include the cost of forgetting to change paper orientation or the printer jams and you have to reprint, or my favorite, printing with photo ink with matt paper (or vice versa). Also, printing on different papers require different profiles, otherwise you get color casts... I've spent way, way more money just on things that I tossed than I would on getting standard prints. But I love the process and finding the perfect support for a series of images, so it works for me.

If you do love the tech nerd stuff, the Epsons with ultra chrome inks are what most photographers use, they've solved many of the problems they used to have, so I would say you can't go wrong there!
This was also my thinking...it could get pretty expensive in the 'experimenting stages' but would, ultimately, be really fun once I figured out what I was doing with each paper/ink!

I believe I've read about the Epsom ultra chrome inks as well....kind of in printer/ink overload currently from having read so many different reviews!

thanks for you input!!

-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2011-06-11, 5:36am
Growing Edge Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCollie View Post
Epson cann't be beat . I have one and love the sharpness and color of the photos.
Janet C.
ETA: I use mine to copy old family photos. And they turn out better than the orginals.

Thanks for your input Janet...which model of Epson printer are you using, if you don't mind my asking?

-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2011-06-11, 5:38am
Growing Edge Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska View Post
It all depends if you desire to have amateur or professional prints. Have been using the Canon IPF 5000 and it does a wonderful job. May consider updating to the newer IPF 5100.

There are a number of print houses that will produce prints by submitting the digital data via the net. The downside is that one needs a rather fast internet connection. And there are firms in India that will do retouching for reasonable prices.
Will look at the Canons...thank you!

I've been looking at the online print houses and appreciate what seems to be a rather user friendly/streamline process in uploading/ordering prints!

thanks for your input!

-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2011-06-11, 9:51am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truewealth View Post
Thanks for your input Janet...which model of Epson printer are you using, if you don't mind my asking?
No, I don't mind you asking. I'm glad to try help you . Mine is a
Epson Stylus Photo RX600.

It restores the color from faded photos.It does it all.The clarity of the photos are awesome. It was easy to setup. And computer friendly. Mine was bought in 2004 and its going strong.I use mine alot too. I"ve had other printers, like HP and Cannon. But this one is the best. I will always have Epson. It is a workhorse.
Hope this helps.
Janet C.
ETA: I use only the Epson Photo paper too. It does make a difference.My camera died a while back , so I'm not taking any photos. But I have used it to make copies of family photos to give to my daughters. The ink does not come off the pictures once its dried, like some do.

Last edited by Janetlee; 2011-06-11 at 10:09am. Reason: More info
Old 2011-06-11, 10:35am
Growing Edge Glass

Thanks Janet...I'll check out your model and/or any model that would be considered an upgrade from this model since you bought it in 2004.

I really appreciate all the info you've shared with me...it helps! I had my mind set on an Epson..just wasn't sure which one....am glad to hear that you're happy with yours and it's still going strong!!

Thanks again!

-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2011-06-14, 8:51am
Butterfly Rancher

After just completing a large photo project, I'm in the get it printed somewhere else crowd. My personal preference is Snapfish for low cost and fast turnaround.

With that said, I've had two 4x6 photo specific printers. One from Kodak and one from HP -- both died very quickly. The Kodak was replaced under warranty but the second one died as well. I liked the Kodak because it used a dye-sub technology that included sealing the print like a professional printed photo. I don't like the fact that inkjet prints always seem to find some water and run. We currently use a Canon Pixma MP 620 multifunction printer to print everything from photos to online receipts. It does gorgeous photo printing but it voraciously consumes expensive ink. It seems I'm replacing cartridges every other week.

I do like this site for consumer information http://www.consumersearch.com/photo-printers and http://www.consumersearch.com/printers

BTW a helpful tip I ran across this weekend for saving on ink for inkjet printers is to turn off your printer with it's own power button. This will set the print heads to prevent drying of the cartridges. Also try and print something once a week to keep the cartridge print heads from drying.

May 2014 -- Good-bye Florida and Hello Colorado
Old 2011-06-14, 9:43am
da General

Lots of great info here already! I just want to add that you may want to make sure that whichever printer you choose uses pigment inks and not dye based inks. Pigment inks are archival inks that last a lot longer than their dye-base counterparts.

|
|
|
|
Old 2011-06-14, 9:49am
Growing Edge Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckah View Post
After just completing a large photo project, I'm in the get it printed somewhere else crowd. My personal preference is Snapfish for low cost and fast turnaround.

With that said, I've had two 4x6 photo specific printers. One from Kodak and one from HP -- both died very quickly. The Kodak was replaced under warranty but the second one died as well. I liked the Kodak because it used a dye-sub technology that included sealing the print like a professional printed photo. I don't like the fact that inkjet prints always seem to find some water and run. We currently use a Canon Pixma MP 620 multifunction printer to print everything from photos to online receipts. It does gorgeous photo printing but it voraciously consumes expensive ink. It seems I'm replacing cartridges every other week.

I do like this site for consumer information http://www.consumersearch.com/photo-printers and http://www.consumersearch.com/printers

BTW a helpful tip I ran across this weekend for saving on ink for inkjet printers is to turn off your printer with it's own power button. This will set the print heads to prevent drying of the cartridges. Also try and print something once a week to keep the cartridge print heads from drying.
Lots of great tips....thank you Beckah...will check out the links you've provided!

-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2011-06-14, 9:50am
Growing Edge Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
Lots of great info here already! I just want to add that you may want to make sure that whichever printer you choose uses pigment inks and not dye based inks. Pigment inks are archival inks that last a lot longer than their dye-base counterparts.
Thanks Hayley....that is an important point to know...I appreciate it!

-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2011-06-15, 8:45am

The local Sam's Club is where most of the professional photographers around here get their stuff developed. That's where I go, great prices and simple uploads - so it is ready when i get there. You can't beat their lunch prices either - or just "snack n' stroll" the displays - lol
Old 2011-06-15, 1:02pm
Growing Edge Glass

Thanks Kelly....I appreciate the tip!

-jewelry~~~
~~~