Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Classes, Retreats, Get togethers, Etc.

Classes, Retreats, Get togethers, Etc. -- Upcoming classes, retreats, special events, Get togethers. Please delete your thread when the event is over.

Old 2011-02-20, 3:57pm

Default 2011 Int'l Flameworking Conference

This conference is March 18-20 in NJ, and for the first time ever I'm free that weekend and thinking of attending. Can anyone tell me what the conference is like? Educational? Fun? Stiff? Not-beady enough? Crowded?

If you have been or are planning on going, chime in. Jeri

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still selling beadstands but no more Puffy Mandrels.
Old 2011-02-20, 7:04pm

One word - amazing! This is my 6th year attending and each one has been special, educational, inspirational, and fun. I have met the most incredible new artists as well as most of the real famous ones and have made great friends. The conference is now held at the Samuel H. Jones Education Center which is a sight to take your breath away - an entire building devoted to glass. For the price you are fed two meals (breakfast and lunch), see great demos, and you have an opportunity to shop with Wale Apparatus and ABR Imagery. You can't beat the price. This year Gianni Tosso is returning (see the 2007 album). Take a look at my photo albums which I think will give you a really good idea of what the conference is like:

https://picasaweb.google.com/taalfar...ingConference#
https://www.me.com/gallery/#100365

Hope you decide to attend - you will not be sorry. See you there!
Old 2011-02-20, 7:27pm

WOW Tracey, thanks for the rave review and cool pics. I'm definitely leaning toward sending in my money! Jeri

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-02-20, 7:30pm
Nikki Haverstock

Amazing albums but what in the world were they doing in 2007? It looked like pouring molten glass into an aquarium then through a mesh and into a vase. It is intriguing and confusing.
Old 2011-02-20, 8:25pm
Grateful

Tracey I LOVE your albums!! I attended from 2006-2009-only missing last year due to $ . I loved it so much I moved to New Jersey to attend school there. Thank you for the great pictures and memories!!

Old 2011-02-21, 7:26am

For a couple of the conferences, we boarded buses and went to Wheaton Arts which is about an hour away from Salem College. We were entertained by some of the apprentices at Wheaton with a glass show that consisted of breaking glass in every way imaginable. It was set to music and was so much fun. They actually did pour molten glass into an aquarium and kept pouring until it exploded. Molten glass was poured over dry ice, into a glass globe filled with water, hung from ladders, etc. and broken. The Director, Hank Adams, got up into a forklift and was lifted all the way up to the ceiling with a ladle of molten glass and then proceeded to pour it thru mesh - that created some of the longest stringers you have ever seen. At the end of the show, when all the glass had been broken, we got a concert played on a glass zylophone the students had made.

Last edited by fourpawsglass; 2011-02-21 at 7:31am.
Old 2011-02-23, 11:55am
critter creator

I'm going this year!!! So excited to go, after missing the last three years due to living on the other side of the moon.

Just made my room reservation too, now I just need to figure out how to get there! My wife has a concert in Brooklyn that weekend and needs the car
Old 2011-02-24, 7:11am

I have to work that weekend at the Moon, otherwise I would be there. Have a fab time Jeri!
Old 2011-02-28, 4:22pm

I'm interested where is it located? Atlantic City? Could someone give me some info on cost etc? Thanks
Barb
Old 2011-02-28, 6:57pm

HI Barb - here is a good write-up that will tell you what you need to know. http://blog.glassquarterly.com/2011/...rs-conference/
Jeri

Old 2011-03-01, 1:33pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked on glass View Post
I'm interested where is it located? Atlantic City? Could someone give me some info on cost etc? Thanks
Barb
The college (Salem Community College) is located in Carneys Point, NJ. The Samuel H. Jones Glass Center is not far from there. Go to the website (http://www.salemcc.edu/glass/conference/index.php) and all the pricing is listed.
Old 2011-03-04, 11:46am
critter creator

Hey everyone, if you're coming be SURE to bring trade goods!!!
Old 2011-03-04, 11:52am
Hobby Junkie

I am considering going. I have to see if I can swing it.

Old 2011-03-05, 4:27am

Smile

I would recommend it to anyone who can make it! I've come for a majority of them since the 2nd event, and it literally changed my life! This is where I met Lucio Bubacco, became totally enchanged with his studio and work. My involvement with Murano has taken a course all it's own.

Giani Toso was a side presentor the year that Loren Stump was the primary featured artist. He is very charismatic and a joy to watch. He was in essence, the begining of the exodus of traditional Muranese glass artists who started to travel and take their knowlege to the greater world. This was back in the mid 70's. I know, I was at school at CCAC where Lipofski was department head there.

GO!! Attend this event. Nowhere will you get such a bargain for your money for a weekend event. It's easy to fly in on Friday morning, and out on Sunday night, if flying is an option.

Old 2011-03-05, 7:57am
critter creator

^^^ And this is where I met Ofilia, and began my Murano involvement
Old 2011-03-06, 7:20pm

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast Master View Post
^^^ And this is where I met Ofilia, and began my Murano involvement
Horrah for kindred spirits!! The magic of Murano does extend beyond its boarders.

Wes, you'll get to chat with Beth Williams and Carol Bugarin, who just returned from our Carnevale workshop. I was so happy to see their beaming faces from our experience there. Sigh....... Wish I could make it to Salem this year and give all of you a great big hug. Ciao tutti!

Old 2011-03-08, 11:29am

And me Jeri!! I am driving Carol and Beth to the whole event - PLEASE be there!
Nancy

Last edited by nancytobey; 2011-03-08 at 12:07pm.