Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2014-10-23, 6:28am
DaveK

Thanks Deb. I love the way (cold) finished fumed stuff kind of glows.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2014-11-09, 6:00pm
DaveK

I just can't seem to get them transferred from the tube without trapping air.

You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2014-11-11, 12:20pm
ManBearPig

That doesn't look like bubbles from the tube. Those are usually larger bubbles right in the center. That looks like maybe you are heating the rod you are making dots with too much and boiling it. The bubbles form at the end and get trapped in the dots.

Old 2014-11-12, 7:09am
DaveK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
That doesn't look like bubbles from the tube. Those are usually larger bubbles right in the center. That looks like maybe you are heating the rod you are making dots with too much and boiling it. The bubbles form at the end and get trapped in the dots.
Maybe you are right. I used tweezers to get most of the trapped air bubbles but might have introduced some tiny ones in the processed. I have struggled with getting a heat base established with the inner part of my new Mirage in a 50 degree garage.
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2014-11-12, 12:39pm

knowing that you user tweezer and got most out it looks like mine did at first.
heres a video that might help. about 5:30 in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc7WGQ6CGMA
now she was doing a thin pendant but same idea with thicker ones or marbles.

Living the dream rocking a GTT Mirage and or 40mm Herbert Arnold J Howard Style with a home fill system in south central Wisconsin
Old 2014-11-12, 3:24pm
DaveK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
I just did another one. The tiny bubbles appear on th back of the bubble. In between the maria and the back of the torn off bubble. I used areally soft flame and didn't trap any big bubbles this time so no tweezering and no boiling is going on.
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2014-11-12, 3:31pm
DaveK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymike View Post
knowing that you user tweezer and got most out it looks like mine did at first.
heres a video that might help. about 5:30 in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc7WGQ6CGMA
now she was doing a thin pendant but same idea with thicker ones or marbles.
That was an interesting video but my problem comes when adding a Maria to the back of the bubble. Or maybe I need to smoke more dabs
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2015-04-06, 2:42pm

what a wonderful thread ! I saw it many many times, was so inspiring for me...and still is...thank you guys ! ...or better...thank you fumihomies

I made these today

and I have one problem, hope you can help me with it...it's about burn off the fume when the implosion is finished, I don't have problems when is with gold...superoxi flame and fly away, but when is silver it's a nightmare, it remains sticked to the bubble and I need a lot more time...a lot....x10 more time than with gold...and the glass turns super hot and the implosions grows when I dont want that, also with that hot is very easy to distort the pattern...any tips, suggestions.....or I am in the right way ?
Old 2015-04-06, 8:12pm

Back off the oxygen a bit to burn it off. Might help with the silver.
Old 2015-04-07, 7:27am

Yes more oxygen, its the oxy that helps burn it off not necessarily the heat.

alos here is a tip I just figured out I was using gold fume on a Maria and then adding white lines for a tiny pink rose. I was getting allot of bubbles and thought maybe I was boiling the white. But what helped was baking the gold into the surface of the maria with a soft flame before adding the white. No more tiny bubbles.

Old 2015-04-07, 1:46pm

Thank you for your suggestions, I will focus more in the flame chemistry.

In the other hand thanks deb for tip I didn't know about bake the fume to prevent bubbles, tomorrow I will try it
Old 2015-04-07, 2:35pm

Just pay attention to how hot you get the piece when you are baking it on because if you get it to hot it will make the gold fume disappear.

Old 2015-04-09, 10:06am

Deb, are you saying after maria's face is gold fumed, hit it with a soft flame, as in bushy?

"All true artists, whether they know it or not, create from a place of no-mind, from inner stillness."
Eckhart Tolle

Cathy[/font]

Last edited by PennyLane; 2015-04-10 at 9:40am.
Old 2015-04-09, 3:17pm

Thank you deb for the advice. Yesterday I did the test, made a marble trying to reproduce one I made few days ago, but this time cooking very gently the fume and this is the result. At the top two pics of the marble cooked, on the bottom two pics without.

The marble cooked looks more clean and has no bubbles, what you can see is dust ( I dont know why but have a strong hability to retain estatic electricity and catch all the dust in the room ) . Another cool thing is the dots came out more shinny and with better definition. In the opposite side the another marble ( at the bottom ) has a very tiny bubbles in the edge of some dots. I am more than a happy with the result ....but need to do more tests

Pennylane if it helps, I cooked the fume with a big soft reduced flame, like a big bic light, like 10 cm large and trying to dont touch the bubble with the candle.
Old 2015-04-10, 7:26am

Yes Penny

Old 2015-04-14, 3:11pm

Hello everyone, I still in the quest
Marble trying to get the rainbow colors....well at least some of them

I thought that the only way to get green is mixing gold with silver but nope, today I made this pendant only with 99,9999 gold ( maple ) and got greens with purples
The sad part of the history is that it cracked ( I dont have a kiln yet ) . The bail was made with Rozay of GA, btw.

I never give up, so I made another, this time with a very very little touch of silver but not over the gold.

Old 2015-04-15, 1:28pm

save the cracked pieces! Once you get a kiln, you can either fix them, or mix them up and make a new piece.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2015-04-16, 12:27pm

I didn't know it....I was throwing all my broken pieces to the garbage cube ....thanks for the advise Eric...I will keep it

Yesterday was my first attempt to make a flower pendant with the rod compresion techinique...it's not 100% fuming, the dots are made with Snow White, but it have a heavy gold fume.....I am very happy with the result
Here it is

Old 2015-04-17, 7:46am

Very clean looking pink petals.

Old 2015-04-20, 8:16am

Earlier on I said to bake in the gold fume to help prevent bubbles and I would like to share I I did yesterday. I payed attention to the amount of gold fume and if it was to heavy I got more bubbles. So I wonder if in the baking on process I was burning off some heavy fume to give less bubbles. Hmm

Old 2015-04-22, 3:35pm

Interesting Deb, thanks for share it. In my case, when I bake the fume I don't see any reduction of the colour on the bubble, or maria etc ...I will pay more attention next time
Recently I have been trying to get more colours mixing gold and silver and this is the result....I hope you like it !

Old 2015-04-23, 9:48am

Yes I like…. the colours are beautiful.

Old 2015-05-01, 7:34am

Perhaps a stupid question, but how many pendants (normal size 1 to 1,5 ") can you make with 1 gram of gold and 10 gram of silver, also when you use them together. Do you need the same amount of grams of silver and gold when you use them together ??
Thank you so much.
Greetings Anja

Old 2015-05-01, 8:50am
DaveK

Walk into a jewelry store and count the number of pendants that are 1" or bigger. My wife wont wear anything bigger than 1/2". I don't know who wears these Big Ass Pendants (BAP). I stopped making them.

BTW, it takes a miniscule amount to fume these. So small it is unmeasurable.
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2015-05-01, 9:21am

Hi KA,

I am new with boro, but my soft glass pendants are mostly 4cm, so around 1,5" and I sell them.
That is why I thought that the pendants I see in this thread have the same meassure.
But Thank you so much for your information.
Greetings Anja

Old 2015-05-02, 10:25am
DaveK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bless View Post
Hi KA,

I am new with boro, but my soft glass pendants are mostly 4cm, so around 1,5" and I sell them.
That is why I thought that the pendants I see in this thread have the same meassure.
But Thank you so much for your information.
Greetings Anja
As long as you can sell them. That the main thing. Unless it's just a hobby for you.
You can call me Dave 🎨

Last edited by KA; 2015-05-04 at 5:01am.
Old 2015-05-11, 1:04pm

Most folks will buy up to 1". After that, it gets harder to sell them. However, there is an exception to that. I have found that many of the larger ladies prefer a large pendant. So, always make sure that you have some larger pieces for them. Plus, it is fun to make big pendants.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2015-05-19, 8:46am

oke, i know it not even comes close to all the most beautifull examples that are displayed at this thread, but this is my first silver fumed implosion i made by reading all the advise and tips of this thread..
and now i have to practise, practise, practise.. but loving it and i am so glad that i changed my minor into a bravo.

Old 2015-06-01, 2:40pm

very nice fume airtrap Bless !

Here are some of my recents fume pendants

Old 2015-11-22, 2:55am