Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Beads of Courage > Beads of Courage

Beads of Courage -- Discussion for all things Beads of Courage; the only not-for-profit, arts-in-medicine program putting to use the talents of glass beadmakers to uplift children dealing with life threatening illnesses, their families and the people who care for them. Families, clinicians and artists alike are welcome to join in! (Thank you to Lampwork Etc. for supporting Beads of Courage and helping to foster communication!) PHOTOS OF INDIVIDUALS OR CHILDREN ONLY ALLOWED WITH THEIR SPECIFIC CONSENT.

Old 2011-05-27, 1:44pm

Default Act of Courage Beads

From time to time I think it's a good idea for us to tell the folks who are new to Beads of Courage just what an 'Act Of Courage' (AoC) bead is as opposed to the other beads in our programs. Most of the beads that we use are what we call Program Beads and are commercially manufactured due largely to the sheer numbers involved. These beads are the ones that you may have seen on the old color charts that correspond to specific events in treatment.

The artist-made glass beads to out to the children in the hospitals as 'Act Of Courage' beads. These beads are given to mark special events in a child's journey through treatment. These events may be surgery, difficult procedures or just hard days along the way. Act of Courage beads can take almost any form that you would like to make - it's an opportunity for you let your imagination go and make new things or whatever you want to do. We do have a few specifics, though. These include making sure that the bead release is cleaned out, you have nice 'puckers' on the ends of the beads and that there are no sharp edges or overly frilly bits sticking out that might break off. We also ask that you refrain from using reduction frit or glasses that give a metallic sheen on the surface due to heavy metal issues with these materials. The 3/32 mandrel is preferred but other sizes are also usable.

When you send your beads please include a brief inventory in the package along with your contact information. We want to send you a Thank You certificate and a receipt for your donation. If you send beads from multiple donors in one box just include the same for everyone so that they can all be recognized.

Our new mailing address is:

Beads of Courage, Inc.
10501 E. Seven Generations Way, Suite 161
Tucson, AZ 85747

Thank you all for your generous support of Beads of Courage.

Robert
Old 2011-05-27, 10:45pm
Hitting the Bottle

I met a boy and his family at a craft fair last weekend. He approached me and asked if I knew of beads of courage. It was so moving to get a firsthand experience of how this program helps kids. I made a bunch specifically for him and his hospital and I'm going to send them directly to the mom. They had been looking for an Aflac duck. I hope that's ok. Here's a picture of the ones I made. I made some Angry Birds themed ones, a chess rook, ducks, rainbow, Giants and A's colors. I know some of them have protrusions. This boy was about 9 years old, so I thought he and his friends would be able to handle them.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-05-28, 6:38pm

Quote:
I met a boy and his family at a craft fair last weekend. He approached me and asked if I knew of beads of courage. It was so moving to get a firsthand experience of how this program helps kids. I made a bunch specifically for him and his hospital and I'm going to send them directly to the mom. They had been looking for an Aflac duck. I hope that's ok. Here's a picture of the ones I made. I made some Angry Birds themed ones, a chess rook, ducks, rainbow, Giants and A's colors. I know some of them have protrusions. This boy was about 9 years old, so I thought he and his friends would be able to handle them.
Very nice beads and they make me smile!

If you cannot stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 2011-05-29, 7:59am

The best way to donate is to send your beads to Tucson to be included in the program. You can request that your donation go back to a specific member hospital. Most of our member hospitals aren't equipped to accept direct donations and we really need to check and catalog the beads that come in.

Thanks for all that you do for Beads of Courage!

Robert
Old 2011-05-29, 8:08am

Very pretty beads flower7 - the ducks are darling!