Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-12-11, 4:19pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Jensy, I know how you feel! That's what I was trying to say with my examples. And, that feeling can come from others - probably not the tut writer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-12-11, 4:22pm
a pox upon an idiot :..

I AGREE put a disclaimer in the first line of your tutorial and let me decide if I want to purchase it.

I personally wouldn't buy it. I feel that if you sell something for a profit, it's no longer yours to put restrictions on. It's like selling someone your beads and telling them they can't sell the jewelry that they make from them, if you are a business this make no sense.

I've purchased a lot of tutorials, some for beads that I would never make because they aren't my style or the technique isn't something that I want to persue right now. I've bought them to give my support to other artists who took their time to write them and share their techniques and I think they deserve to be compensated for their time. I've enjoyed reading them and can say that I've learned something from all of them and they are inexpensive compared to the information that they contain.

Although I wouldn't copy a bead exactly to sell, I feel that I have every right to if I choose once I purchase the tutorial. If your going to sell something, anything for that matter, you have to come to terms with the fact that you no longer own it and have transferred ownership to the buyer. If someone is not comfortable with this, either don't share the information or simply put a disclaimer where the purchaser can decide before they spend the money if they still want the tut or not.
Old 2008-12-11, 4:43pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryBeth View Post
I don't own all of the tuts out there so I don't really know
I personally don't intend to make exact copies of beads in tuts but it should be expected.

I took a Jim Smircich class years ago. It was a two day class and he demonstrated many of his very unique beads. He did specifically ask to not copy one bead although he did demonstrate it. What he meant was don't use the exact color combination and design. We were all fine with that. The reason we were fine with it is that the technique was useful enough to be incorporated into totally different beads.

If a tut is all about a design then the tut creator should realize that design will be made.

For example, Jen's window bead tut. I love that tut! Will I make window beads? Yes, I will! Will I copy the exact colors and pattern she used in the tut? No I won't - I have enough of my own ideas. I can take her design and make it my way and still feel that I have learned something new that can be applied other than the exact way she presented it. So, her tut is about a certain design. But the design is flexible enough so that others can be creative with it. So, I guess it really is a design technique.
Then we feel exactly the same way. Thanks for putting up with the questions. Sometimes I am "hard of understanding."

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2008-12-11, 5:18pm
specializing in obnoxious

I think it is interesting that people think they 'own' anything.

I have heard all the arguments about creative ownership, copyright laws and and such. But the truth is that the only reason I don't 'copy' someone else's work is because I don't want to. I definitely don't want someone else telling me what I can or cannot do, and then what I can or cannot sell.

If you don't want your work to be copied.... don't show it to anyone. Otherwise, this is the real world, not kindergaten, and what is or isn't fair doesn't count for shit.

It has been a hell of a week, my apologies if I come across too bitchy.

__Go Big, or Go Home!__

Old 2008-12-11, 5:37pm
Entropy increasing....

Yeah, "fair" is a lie parents tell their children so they play nice together. It has nothing to do with reality. Sadly.

It just always makes me sad when someone tells me they created a bead or developed a design only to see someone post something to the S&T that was very similar so now they are afraid of showing it or selling it lest they be called a "copier".

It's sad because it's their creation whether someone else came to the same thing or not.

I have said before that I don't think anyone "owns" art. It's a stream of creative energy that we just borrow from.

I have seen someone claim to have developed a certain way of pulling stringer and then I saw it in a Japanese video. Did they see it in a Japanese video or is it entirely possible that they came to the same conclusion about pulling stringer? Who owns that?
Old 2008-12-11, 5:37pm

I just put my first tutorial out on the market and not once did the thought cross my mind that I wouldn't want people to sell their finished products. How can one teach something and then say they can't make and sell it? I would be happy to see them being sold and bought because that ment that I did a good job teaching the techniques.

* website/blog:
Old 2008-12-11, 5:51pm
Honey Badger

Back to the tutorials...is anyone who markets a tutorial ready to say that the buyer cannot copy and sell? Without being vague, if you sell a tut and do not want people to copy and sell, will you post so here?
It's nice to hear about the journey, and learning about glass and techniques, but here's the bottom line: if you sell a tut--can people copy and sell? Those who are OK with it have posted, so who is NOT OK with it?
Old 2008-12-11, 6:17pm
Born Facing Left

I'm going to be brief here; (having some difficulties with my poor Mom, sigh. I can't believe that she's eighty, wish she lived closer. But that's a whole other subject.)

As for beads from my tutorial, (and my classes), make 'em, sell 'em, have fun with 'em. With my blessings.

End of story.

Old 2008-12-11, 6:42pm

I'm almost ashamed to say it but I am one of those that has to try and copy the tut bead as closely as possible. I really need to know excately what colors to use and as many details as humanly possible. After I've copied it sometimes I can change it around to make it my own (loosely).

I too feel the guilt when reading a tut wondering how closely or how far away I must stray from the tut so as not to be accused of copying. I'm afraid to post in the gallery in case my bead looks too much like someone else's and get flogged on here. I haven't purchased a tut in a while for this very reason.

I have learned alot from the few tuts I have but I feel there are alot less tips and tricks given out freely on LE these days since the buyable tuts have come along.

I haven't been flamed yet on here. Is it my turn?

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell
Old 2008-12-11, 6:47pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna T. View Post
I'm almost ashamed to say it but I am one of those that has to try and copy the tut bead as closely as possible. I really need to know excately what colors to use and as many details as humanly possible. After I've copied it sometimes I can change it around to make it my own (loosely).

I too feel the guilt when reading a tut wondering how closely or how far away I must stray from the tut so as not to be accused of copying. I'm afraid to post in the gallery in case my bead looks too much like someone else's and get flogged on here. I haven't purchased a tut in a while for this very reason.

I have learned alot from the few tuts I have but I feel there are alot less tips and tricks given out freely on LE these days since the buyable tuts have come along.

nope

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-12-11, 7:01pm
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna T. View Post

I can't imagine anyone flaming you for your brave and genuine post! I have had a similar conversation, privately, with another very sweet LE member who has expressed similar concerns (although I suspect "fears" would be a more accurate word) with me about sharing her work in the Gallery!

It just breaks my heart that some members are so concerned about being bashed and crushed for showing something they are so very proud of...because it might look like they "copied" it - WTF!?! And I've seen this happen before, with my own two eyes, so I know I'm not being a drama queen about it!

How sad it that?

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-12-11, 7:45pm
Cancer SUCKS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly View Post
I have one more post to put in this thread then I am off to something much more positive!

I just realized that each and every book by Jim Kervin has a section at the end about "Developing Your Own Style" where Jim talks about selling knockoffs of the artist's work. I am looking right now at the section in the book on Akihirio. He (Jim) makes an interesting statement, "Use this information as a springboard to develope your own style". Fantastic! I couldn't have said it better!!! That statement doesn't make me feel guilty for making the beads. It makes me WANT to make my own beads, using the techniques I learned in the book.

Now, why is a statement like this okay in Jim's book, and not okay in a tutorial? (Really, Jim's books are small collections of tutorials) I don't see anyone complaining about the statements in Jim's books. Why are we complaining about similar statements in tutorials? Are tutorials (and by inference, tutorial writers) less in some way? I am just really confused.

I think this has to do with the way the sentence is written out. I have read several tuts. I am a bit miffed also at how it was worded. Maybe the authors intentions wasn't to offend people. I think tut authors just need to be a bit more sensitive to how it's worded.

FYI, I really like the say Jim states "Use this information as a springboard to develope your own style".

Deb

Old 2008-12-11, 8:03pm
caffiene, beads, bedhead,

in my first pdf tutorial, for the sculpting pansies, firstly let me state it was the third one that I know of, and was really something very close to my heart, and a very new concept here in our medium,

at anyrate... I wrote in the notes, at the end of the tut,
"Glass is my passion, as it is probably yours too! I just beg your ethics in using this tutorial, and that you put your own style and uniqueness into your beads. This is not only my passion but also my living, as some of you I'm sure can understand."

I dont think that implies to anyone not to make them, I know I was one of the first to be asked the question about making them and selling them, Im not a poet, and fumbled around with my feelings, but this was my baby, it was new, and I had alot of learning to do about how to approach this.

Ive bought several of the tuts, and never seen anyone say you cannot make the exact bead, etc

I will say a couple people have made incredible florals with my tuts and are selling them, but they gave me a lil credit in thier listings and that really made my heart smile.

I do think if you have any questions to this, you should ask the artist directly. like I said this is still so new and we are learning all the ins outs, and etiquite of this new resource.

I just am doing what I Love and doing it the best way I know how.. and I think most other authors are doing the same.

~~
~~
Old 2008-12-11, 8:22pm
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ever After View Post
...anyrate... I wrote in the notes, at the end of the tut,
"Glass is my passion, as it is probably yours too! I just beg your ethics in using this tutorial, and that you put your own style and uniqueness into your beads. This is not only my passion but also my living, as some of you I'm sure can understand."

I dont think that implies to anyone not to make them, I know I was one of the first to be asked the question about making them and selling them, Im not a poet, and fumbled around with my feelings, but this was my baby, it was new, and I had alot of learning to do about how to approach this...
Laurie~~~

You're tutorials are wonderful!!!! And I think what you said was completely appropriate - a sharing of your feelings and perspective - and intended to "evoke" thought and consideration on the buyers' part. I own several of your tuts; in no way did I infer that your statement meant that I shouldn't sell my beads that I made following your tutorial (even if it was to an exact tee - which we all know they'd be far from "copies" of your work, no matter how I tried!)

I realize, too, that the enthusiasm - especially for newer lampworkers - needs to be tempered sometimes with the guidance of "how to behave" and be successful in your accomplishments and sales as well as how to work with glass. I think the "guidance" you offered with the words you used was well-intended and totally appreciated - by me at least!

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-12-11, 9:13pm
THe quiet one....

I agree with the OP that if you don't want me to make or sell the beads in the tut say so before I spend my hard earned money. I can make a decision based on that. Personally I'll still buy it. But I don't buy them to "copy".

When I see a bead I really like, I always think to myself, I want to try that! I get a rush out of trying to figure out how other peoples beads are made. Sometimes I figure it out and others times I can't but but it still gives me a huge rush. But like any "high" it comes with a let down too. I get the most satisfaction making my own beads that don't look like anyone elses.

Vikki

If you have to have an attitude...pick a good one
Old 2008-12-11, 9:44pm
Life is change. Love it

Most of the tutorials I have purchased teach techniques and it is easy to add your own interpretation, and make your own style of beads. There are a few that due to use of a very specific glass, are extremely difficult to make any other way. I've struggled to put my own spin on these, with little success and as a result have only sold one set of almost copies before putting those techniques to bed.

Laurie, your pansy tut is lovely and I have made many of them, but unfortunately they look very similar to yours, and therefore I am not comfortable selling them on ebay which I know is your selling venue. I'm not sure what I'll do with them, but I had fun making them!

Old 2008-12-11, 9:47pm
Mom to 20 paws

O.k then instead of letting us trying to interpet yours feelings then why is it so hard just to post on the promo page whether someone can or cannot. Who wants to spend time having to interpet what one wants. People are not mindreaders nor should they have to be.

Obviously by the number of posts this is a problem for some. I think in order to enhance your sales it would be a simple fix.

Just like other products you buy people demand labels. Well it just seems to me to be a simple fix. Then the author does not have to worry they are poets or not or how the write things. The consumer is forewarned and can make an educated decission.

People want to play with glass, buy a tut ,let them do just that with no ethical decissions. As far as emailing the author did we not hear about some authors are just to busy to be answering questions and they dont want to hear that question? I remember that thread too.

Far too often we are hearing our fellow lampworkers are afraid to post question, post the pics, afraid to email. Again how simple to remedy this where everyone wins.

A SIMPLY STATEMENT ON THE TUT THEY ARE BUYING
(I am not yelling just brings the topic of which this thread was started on)

Jen

Etsy jewelry-

AAA Gemstone Beads Etsy-
Old 2008-12-11, 10:21pm
Uh-oh means it's too late

I feel very torn right now about tuts in general. Glass in beads and other applications is ancient and I had a chance to see a private collection of glass beads that featured a bead very similar to Michael Barley's "whale baleen" tech if not the same one important point the bead was dated about 400 years ago!!! I think that all though we evolve and grow there are times where things are just buried and then re-surface the point is I personally won't pay money to learn something I can't use or that I know I can do with my own practice and hard work- Please don't think I am discrediting Michael Barley he did put his all into his work and therefore is known for it- but I would hate to be known as a copier for being able to do the same thing permission or not.
One last thing even with the wealth of information out there not everyone will be able to even do these things the true art comes from our own hands and unless a mold is used EVERY bead will always be a little different- So authors think about that when you decide to publish a tech or tut. If you want your hands to be the only ones interrpreting your tech or design don't even show it because someone out there might just be able to mentally figure it out, put hard work into it and accomplish it- THAT is not copying and if a tut doesn't state so from the beginning then I feel no guilt knowing I worked hard to learn it!!!!
I know how people feel about me but I won't budge- not everyone can learn,do, and succeed so why are we so threatend?

I think this thread is great and great suggestions all around.

Old 2008-12-11, 10:51pm
da General

There was a discussion back in July when only a few tutorials were on the market. Questions were raised as to why Helen Simon's tutorial was so much more expensive than others.

This is what I wrote:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...2&postcount=86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
I think that Helen's audience is very different from the others. She is definitely not targeting the mass but more an exclusive group who is really interested making beads like hers AND selling them. The people who purchase Helen's tutorial are allowed to sell the beads . . as opposed to just make beads as for yourself and as gifts, as in some other tutorials. . . that, in itself, is worth the high price, IMHO.

And Helen provides email support for life . . . which may contribute to her wanting to keep the group small. Selling a tutorial for $15 and have 500 people email her (granted not everyone will), OR selling it to a more exclusive audience for a higher price? She chose the latter.

To me, in a way, she is looking for an "apprentice" (or two or three. . . ) to pass on her techniques (as she stated in another thread that her kids don't like to melt glass). So keeping the group small and only those who are really motivated and interested makes sense!
Other tutorial writers (at the time there weren't that many) chimed in. If you are interested. Here is the link (I posted this earlier on this thread):
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...t=98221&page=3

Laurie has written on her blog that what boils down to is "personal ethics." But to "duplicate them as closely as possible, then sell them in the same venue – ie:etsy, ebay –and claim them as your own design, That will again rely on your personal ethics."

But then in post #90 of the same thread, she stated:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...6&postcount=91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ever After View Post
I dont think you understood my post..I was only honest in my feelings, and left that up to the maker and their feelings. I said I would be tickled to see them make them for family friends , local shows etc, not that they couldn't sell them.. Im not sure how to word it any differently. and tell the truth.
this post was also made the same day I released the tutorial and emotions were on high keel, its still my honest feelings, though I am a little more relaxed with them now..
Ive been asked several times if people could sell them and Ive given them the A.O.K but they didnt even have to ask. I respect them for doing so though.
I do believe every other tut out there offers lifetime email support also.. why wouldnt you?

So I am very glad that she responded in this thread . . . for frankly, I am with Carolyn . . . not that I was going to copy her beads and sell them on her venues such as Etsy and eBay . . . but honestly there are not too many "spins" you can put on a pansy! I was so uncomfortable with not quite understanding what she allows that I never even used the tutorial I bought
from her.

PLEASE know that this is NOT an attack on Laurie! I am only using this as an EXAMPLE in this discussion . . . that customers of tutorials sometimes are not sure when writers are VAGUE about their expectations. As I stated earlier, I would purchase tutorials if it was stated that it was for INFORMATION ONLY. I do wish, however, that it were stated up front. I don't think it's fair to require the customers to email the tutorial writers to ask permission.

|
|
|
|

Last edited by Hayley; 2008-12-12 at 12:19am. Reason: grammar and typos
Old 2008-12-11, 11:03pm
da General

Once again I want to reiterate that my precious post is not an attack on Laurie or ANY tutorial writers! Having done two tutorials for The Flow magazine (and working on another one right now), I know how much time and dedication each tutorial takes! I just think that we should get all the bumps ironed out - by setting expectations - at the infancy of this tutorial era . . . so that we can all be on the same page going forward.

I have tremendous respect for Laurie and her talent! I would like to apologize in advance if what I posted may offend her in any way.

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-12-11, 11:03pm

I buy tuts for the information about the techniques. I know going in that there is a fat chance in hell that I will be able to duplicate anyones bead. But I keep buying them and learning a vast amount.

After trying it once or twice I generally do not look back at the instructions and go off using some of what I have learned in my own way. I won't sell anything that even is remotely close - those go to family or friends as gifts. It just doesn't feel right to me.

All of the tuts I have purchased have not only said what level of experience would be helpful prior to purchase, most of them say in the body of the tut to help yourself as far as making and selling whatever. I don't see why someone would write and sell a tut if you could not use the information and potentially sell your beads. I also believe it should be stated at the point of sale, not after.

I noticed that Laurie's tut said as she stated and I personally didn't find it offensive. I guess I can see how it might turn other's off. I appreciate her candor.

Last edited by debim; 2008-12-11 at 11:11pm. Reason: I'm a numnuts and can't express myself clearly.
Old 2008-12-11, 11:13pm
Mom to 20 paws

It was nicely put Haley. I dont think anyone should take it as an attack.

The only thing I disagree with is how you said" her venue". This is not right either I am sorry. These are public sites that people pay to put their stuff on. I dont want people to feel now they have to worry where they sell them. Most people on LE sell on Etsy or Ebay they are our venues.

If someone was having a very small private showing , yes I think it would be wrong then to sell them. Lets face it the artist who put the tut has been doing it far longer and perfected their technique so really it would hurt their sales even then because chances are theirs are alot better.

You know I can already here the next fight. People will finally start to sell their things and it will be pricing. The artist normally are far more expensive than someone just starting. So does that make it undercutting or just charging a fair price because you do not feel yours are as good as the original artist.

I took great offence to someone publically telling me quite awhile ago that I was not charging enough for my beads. That this was not fair to me or others trying to sell work. Well for one how dare you. Do you think Sears tell Walmart how to price? Do you know my factors of how I price and why? Why feel the need to do this publically? At the time I did not feel like I should explain why I lampwork or what I do with that money I make with it. At this point I would gladly explain but should I have to.

Again everything becomes so public on here so why is it so hard to ask the authors to be public and up front? I think at this point it will only help your sales.

If anything I want people on here to stop being so afraid of everything, this is a little thing I hope that could help.

Jen

Etsy jewelry-

AAA Gemstone Beads Etsy-
Old 2008-12-11, 11:15pm

A couple of thoughts:

There are a few issues that seem to come up with every thread that has anything to do with tutorial-related issues. I am wondering how many of these issues actually exist and how many are just perceived in people's minds.

There's the issue of "tutorials are bad because now I'm afraid to post pictures of my beads, because people will say I'm copying someone's tutorial, and I'll get flamed and bashed".

Has anyone actually ever posted a photo of beads in the gallery or wherever and been accused of copying someone's tutorial? Flamed? Bashed? Anything? Why are people so afraid of this?

There's the issue of "all those tutorial writers who are writing about basic techniques and then claiming those techniques as their own and saying no one else can use them."

I have never seen this actually happen. Who is writing about techniques and saying no one else can use them? Who has ever said, "I wrote about this so now it's MINE"? Who has been accused of using a tut writer's technique? I honestly don't see why people keep complaining about this, unless I've missed something major.

In this thread, the issue is/was "someone wrote a tutorial and doesn't want anyone selling the beads they make with it, and they did not say that up front".

It's a valid issue.

But, a lot of negative comments are being directed at tutorial writers in general, although everyone in this thread says they don't have problems with people selling those beads.

From my understanding, this is an issue with one specific tutorial writer, who remains anonymous. Honestly, I'd be very curious to read that person's side of the story. Maybe they have some good reason for doing so? Maybe they read this thread and changed their mind? Who knows?

I think that just about everyone - readers and writers alike - is in consensus that as a tut writer, you can basically do whatever you like, as long as you inform your buyers of it before they make the purchase so they can make their own choice.

Does anyone here disagree with that?

If not, then seriously - what is this debate about?

Maybe this one is all just in my mind - but add on the weekly "I hate tutorials" threads in the bathroom, and it really begins to feel like some people just don't like the concept of tutorials in general, and have this need to find things that are morally wrong with them, making general comments about tutorial writers as a group, when in reality - very few are actually "guilty" of these crimes.

Must not get sucked into this again. Must not get sucked into this again. Must not get sucked into this again. Must not get sucked into this again. Must not get sucked into this again.

|
|
|
Old 2008-12-11, 11:29pm
Mom to 20 paws

So a couple of questions then Sara.

1) Will you in a simple sentence write on your promo that people can sell beads made from this tutorial? Not a interpretive sentence of use your own discression or whatever.

2) In all honestly have you never on here someone flamed for copying?

3) Was it not you that started you very own thread about someone asking you about products made from your tutorial.

4) Was it you that said you didnt want to be asked because of lack of time and really didnt want to deal with it.

5) Fair to say tutorial writers can and have been making alot of money with their tuts, and with that comes more expectations from the public.

6) Fair to say that authors were complaining about being and feeling ripped off by a certain percentage of the public.

7) Would you agree that the public should have a sense of security about what they are spending their money on.

Sorry , I know I said a couple and it was more. Sometimes my fingers just get going.

Jen

Etsy jewelry-

AAA Gemstone Beads Etsy-
Old 2008-12-11, 11:52pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensy View Post
So a couple of questions then Sara.

1) Will you in a simple sentence write on your promo that people can sell beads made from this tutorial? Not a interpretive sentence of use your own discression or whatever.

Will that make people happy? Then yes, I will. I don't care.
Although I don't see what's wrong with saying "make up your own mind about this". It's not interpretive, it is what it says - make up your own mind.

2) In all honestly have you never on here someone flamed for copying?

I started a thread in the bathroom once, I did not name any names, and I was pretty much a newbie myself at the time. This was a couple of years ago. I know now that it was probably a mistake to do so. It was the first time something like that had happened to me, it was a horrible feeling and I thought that would be a good way to deal with it.

Today, I see these issues differently, I don't know who is "copying" and who isn't because I'm not inside those people's heads, and it really doesn't bother me like it used to. Honestly, I don't care.

This whole thing was long before the age of tutorials and had nothing to do with any of the issues in this thread.

3) Was it not you that started you very own thread about someone asking you about products made from your tutorial.

No, I never started a thread like that.

4) Was it you that said you didnt want to be asked because of lack of time and really didnt want to deal with it.

Yes, but I think it was clear that I was not referring to paying customers asking about a product that they paid for.
On this specific issue, if I say in my tutorial "do what you want with it", no one really has a reason to ask anyway (and I can't remember anyone asking me such questions in relation to my tutorial).

5) Fair to say tutorial writers can and have been making alot of money with their tuts, and with that comes more expectations from the public.

Fair enough - what exactly are the expectations that are not being met?

6) Fair to say that authors were complaining about being and feeling ripped off by a certain percentage of the public.

Are you referring to the certain percentage that was distributing their files illegally? Do you think they don't have the right to complain about that?
I don't remember any author complaining about being ripped off by anyone other than that, but like I said, I may have missed something.

7) Would you agree that the public should have a sense of security about what they are spending their money on.

Absolutely. I have said this numerous times in numerous threads. Whatever it is that you're doing, no matter who agrees with it and who doesn't, you must inform your buyers about it prior to purchase. Not doing so is unethical and really bad business practice. Buyers should absolutely have the right to choose.

Sorry , I know I said a couple and it was more. Sometimes my fingers just get going.

Jen

Just as a by the way - as some of you know, after "Think Pink" I was torn between a hundred different ideas for my next one. In the end, I decided to write the one that was most appealing to me, and that was the deciding factor. But, this one also had the clear advantage of being a subjective, non-technique-related piece. By choosing to write about my own favorite color combinations and how I see them etc., I avoid having to worry if all the blaming fingers I mentioned in my previous post are being directed at my PDF, and that is really nice.

And YES, I hope the people who bought it use my suggested color combos in their beads, and I really hope they show me photos because I'm eager to see how different people interpret them. No, I don't care if people sell those beads, and I hope they make a lot of money.

|
|
|
Old 2008-12-12, 12:04am
da General

I think what I am hearing here is that customers would like to know if the tutorial writers are cool with them making the beads from the tutorial (with or without their own spins) and selling them at shows, Etsy, eBay, and other venues . . . without the "make up your own mind about this," "rely on your personal ethics," or "prefer you to put your own spin to it" . . . just a simple YES, YOU CAN or a NO, THIS IS FOR INFORMATION ONLY. . . and to do this UP FRONT.

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-12-12, 12:21am
Oh No You Didn't!

Well let's see. I make sets of 9 beads and list them on Ebay for $49.99.

If someone wanted to "copy" my beads from my tutorial and list them as a set of 9 for $49.99, I'd have absolutely no problem with that.

If someone were to "copy" my beads and crank out sets of 9 and list them left and right for $9.99. I'd have a problem with that.

So really, there is no yes or no answer.

My name is............. Deb

Minor/Propane/1 oxycon
Old 2008-12-12, 1:37am
Mom to 20 paws

Thanks Sara for your answers!

Yes Hayley your are right , thats what I was just trying to say from the beginning.

Jen

Etsy jewelry-

AAA Gemstone Beads Etsy-
Old 2008-12-12, 1:49am
a pox upon an idiot :..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogsongstudio View Post

If someone were to "copy" my beads and crank out sets of 9 and list them left and right for $9.99. I'd have a problem with that.
To clarify, do you mean copying your beads outright and selling them for less, or copying them after they have purchased your tutorial and then selling them for less?
Old 2008-12-12, 2:17am
I need more boro stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogsongstudio View Post

If someone wanted to "copy" my beads from my tutorial and list them as a set of 9 for $49.99, I'd have absolutely no problem with that.

So really, there is no yes or no answer.

I think Jen might answer yours on this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensy View Post

You know I can already here the next fight. People will finally start to sell their things and it will be pricing. The artist normally are far more expensive than someone just starting. So does that make it undercutting or just charging a fair price because you do not feel yours are as good as the original artist.

Jen