Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-09-21, 11:10pm

Question Cim Clear glass???????????

I've read lots about the lauscha clear soft and the refurmulated regular glass, the Effetere clear and super clear and the Uroborus, the DH Zephyr and Aether, and the plus and minuses for using each glass, but so far no one seems to mention the CIM clear glass. What are it's pros and cons in using it. I did read that it needs to be worked cool high in the flame but is any one on this forum using it? Frantz is having a 50% sale on a particular size of CIM clear and I was wondering if it was worth buying since it's not very expensive. Is there are problem with using it or have I just missed any references to it? Admittedly I'm a newbie making glass beads which are still not well centered at all times, so hesitate to use $40 -$60 a pound clear glass until I have somethig worthwhile to encase. Frantz also has another propriotory clear class for sale VS but it is better than the super clear Effetre 06.. Also, I have quite a bit of the clear 04 and the super clear 06 and have been happy with the 06 for encasing. When do you use the Effetre 04 glass since it has been described as scummy? If you use it with frit will it also be scummy.

If this has already been discussed, then I apologize and ask for where I can find this information. I'm very curious and have bought some of the CIM clear in the past but have not know how to use it. Thanks for help with this. Lydia
Old 2013-09-21, 11:43pm
Fried Cat

Scummy scummy scummy
Old 2013-09-21, 11:43pm
Fried Cat

And if you breathe wrong it boils.

IMO the worst clear ever made. And I normally *love* CIM.
Old 2013-09-21, 11:44pm
I'm meeeeelting

Quote:
Scummy scummy scummy
This.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-09-21, 11:57pm
Naysayer

I used it since it's release with 0 issues...BUT I have come across some rods lately that are just pure bubbles, if I were to buy it it would have to be on sale. It's actually mentioned a lot in the clear threads, nobody likes it.

Shame since it was a good clear, each rod was wrapped in tissue paper, not sure what has happened.
Old 2013-09-22, 7:21am
Loving learning

I use the icky clears as cores for my beads. Uses it up, and makes the colors last longer if I'm not using so much per bead.
Old 2013-09-22, 7:23am

i used to use CIM clear exclusively for floral compressions/implosions due to it's very soft nature (never used lauscha soft, but i assume it's close in viscosity). you really do need to work it WAY out in the flame. it does boil and scum pretty easy, but once you learn to work with it, it's not bad, especially for the price.
Old 2013-09-22, 7:55am
I think my raku is broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by istandalone24/7 View Post
i used to use CIM clear exclusively for floral compressions/implosions due to it's very soft nature (never used lauscha soft, but i assume it's close in viscosity). you really do need to work it WAY out in the flame. it does boil and scum pretty easy, but once you learn to work with it, it's not bad, especially for the price.
I agree. It's really great if you find the sweet spot, but it's too easy to get it wrong.

Old 2013-09-22, 8:50am

The stringers are nice for twists. That's about it.

Facebook:

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials:
Old 2013-09-22, 9:09am
Slogan Challenged...

I heard somewhere that using CIM clear over silver foil would give you a gold color....does anyone know if this is true, or is it just if certain bases are used?

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2013-09-22, 10:43am

Bubbles, bubbles and more bubbles!

Barbara
Old 2013-09-22, 11:16am
Senior Moment

I use my CIM Clear as my crap clear (for punties, under other colors, etc).

Kristin: A number of clears will give you golden/yellow when you use them to encase silver foil/leaf. Has to do with how hot the clear is; hot molten gather will generally change that color, while a cooler gather will not.

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2013-09-22, 11:36am

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJohn View Post
I heard somewhere that using CIM clear over silver foil would give you a gold color....does anyone know if this is true, or is it just if certain bases are used?
I don't know for cim, but lauscha does.

Visit my Etsy:

Visit My ebay:
Old 2013-09-22, 12:43pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28676bhe View Post
Bubbles, bubbles and more bubbles!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7IYR_rELyE

I couldn't help but think of this, lol.

"Good judgment comes from experience.. Which, unfortunately, comes from bad judgment."

“Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and waiting for the other person to die.”
Old 2013-09-22, 1:22pm
Slogan Challenged...

Thanks Daphne and Alli! I knew I heard something but I'll be darned if I could find that thread.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2013-09-22, 3:47pm
Senior Moment

Just reread what I wrote, and to clarify I mean the gather you are laying on the silver: hot= gold/yellow, cold=silver.

Alli

Old 2013-09-22, 5:33pm

Smile CIM clear

Wow! Thanks everyone. I guess that I won't be buying that CIM clear and will know to use it and the Effetre 04 as base glass to cover with other more expensive glass. I really appreciate everyone's feedback. This is the best forum that I've ever come across. This is much better than all the books and articles that I've read about lampworking. Thanks again. Lydia
Old 2013-09-22, 6:09pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJohn View Post
Maybe Clear Unique does this? I remember hearing something about that, too, but not exactly what.

Old 2013-09-22, 8:16pm
Super Duper

I'm pretty sure that regular effete clear turns silver foil gold. I remember having to use pale aqua instead of clear to encase beads with silver for that reason.
Old 2013-09-22, 8:49pm
Senior Moment

Zephyr will too.

Old 2013-09-23, 6:29am

Quote:
Originally Posted by allicat View Post
Zephyr will too.
I believe it's Aether that does that. I have Zephyr because it doesn't.

Facebook:

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials:
Old 2013-09-23, 8:11am
Senior Moment

Flame chemistry may also play a role here Melissa. I'm on a HH, and every clear I've used so far (Effetre, CIM, DH, Uroboros) have all turned silver foil yellow gold when I've put the gather on too hot. I've never used Aether.

Alli

Old 2013-09-23, 8:42am

That's strange. Zephyr is DH's "non-reactive clear". I've never had an issue. If you search the threads there are many comparisons between the two. You must have very unusual flame chemistry.

Facebook:

Old 2013-09-24, 12:27am
Naysayer

Yeah Zephyr is supposed to not yellow. CIM clear never did for me either.
http://creationismessy.com/color.aspx?id=24

That page shows silver staying silver. It also shows pickling helps the bubbles, i may try that with the lot I save that bubbles straight away.

The only clear I've had turn silver to gold is vetrofond (I was on a HH for years also). Same is shown here.
http://www.corinabeads.com/pages/clear.php
Old 2013-09-25, 2:46pm
Senior Moment

I threw together a quick n dirty bead last nite. It's a base of Hades, layer of silver foil, and encased in Zephyr. I alternated between placing the Zephyr on the silver immediately, and counting to between 1 - 4 seconds before laying on the Zephyr. You can see all the different levels of gold/silver. And this happens with any base color, such as Mosaic Blue, Zephyr, Tuxedo, etc.

As for unusual Flame chemistry, I'm using a Hothead with MapPro canisters.

Name:  IMG_6297-001.jpg
Views: 871
Size:  38.8 KBName:  IMG_6298-001.jpg
Views: 869
Size:  38.4 KB
Same bead, diff backgrounds for clarity.

Alli

Old 2013-09-25, 5:12pm

Aether will give a greenish cast when used to encase (from Kimberly Affleck's class).

Barbara
Old 2013-09-25, 11:19pm
Naysayer

Alli that is strange!
Old 2013-09-26, 3:38am
Slogan Challenged...

Thanks for going through all that trouble, Alli. It's a neat effect if you know when to expect it.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2013-09-26, 7:21am
Mary Lockwood

The CiM clear used to be good, now it sucks. I won't be buying it again and I usually LOVE CiM.

Old 2013-09-26, 10:29am

As much as I love CiM normally, I have to agree that their clear is not my favorite. It's pretty much the same for me as Effetre regular clear. I'm damn picky about my clear and stick with DH Aether or Zephyr, because I am a total clear snob.