LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2009-04-01, 7:51am
aka Spawn Of Flame

Default Silvered Ivory Stringer Tutorial (Free!)

I just finished a tutorial on how I make silvered ivory stringer (SIS). I use this a lot in my beads and have a very specific method that I use to make them and I thought that I would share.

The tutorial is on my blog; it starts here. It is a four part tutorial - all four parts are up.

Here is what I do with the SIS:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
--
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
--
--

Last edited by rosemarie23; 2009-04-01 at 2:13pm.
Old 2009-04-01, 8:19am

Great tutorial!! Thanks so much. Really like the idea of a drop of water to hold the silver on the marver.

Jeanette

Like my Facebook Page, Please
Old 2009-04-01, 9:19am
Critter Mom

Wonderful tut. I'm a Bullseye user so I don't have all the Ivory choices of 104 COE, but I'm gonna try experimenting with Ivory-Like colors and see what happens. Thanks so much for sharing.

Old 2009-04-01, 2:01pm
I think I could be a bead

This is a great tutorial! Thanks, Rose!

Old 2009-04-01, 2:15pm
aka Spawn Of Flame

Thank you, everybody that has taken a look. Make sure to check out all four parts!

Bonnie, I would love to have this effect in the other COE glasses. I use a lot of 96 and I've used the ivory with it. Even very sparingly, I've had both good and bad results (cracking...).

I don't know the equivalent that could be used with Bullseye either.

--
--
--

Old 2009-04-01, 5:12pm
Loook eeentooo my eyyees

You do make the most fabulous stringer Rose....thanks for posting the tutorial-it is fabulous. I'm gonna go try it fo sho!!!

Hugs from down here in Louisiana!!!

-
-

Old 2009-04-01, 9:17pm
Lover of Life

Definitely some new info in there! Thanks!

Becky

"Your dreams are waiting for you to come true."
Old 2009-04-02, 1:29pm

Way to GO Rosemarie! Your engineering mind is Fab!
Jen
Old 2009-04-03, 9:05am

Bravo Rosemarie.
Old 2009-04-03, 12:20pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredinCoquille View Post
Wonderful tut. I'm a Bullseye user so I don't have all the Ivory choices of 104 COE, but I'm gonna try experimenting with Ivory-Like colors and see what happens. Thanks so much for sharing.
Nougat and French Vanilla are reactive.

Old 2009-04-03, 1:34pm
aka Spawn Of Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
Nougat and French Vanilla are reactive.
Oooo... does it react like the 104 ivories (or even a *similar* web effect)? I might need to look into Bullseye!

--
--
--

Old 2009-04-03, 1:43pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosemarie23 View Post
Oooo... does it react like the 104 ivories (or even a *similar* web effect)? I might need to look into Bullseye!
Not the same as 104, but nice nonetheless. About as close as you can get. I haven't found anything in the 96 range that reacts even close.

Old 2009-04-03, 1:46pm
I'm meeeeelting

I've never thought to make the stringer with a clear core. I'll have to give that a try.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2009-04-04, 4:51am

Default thank you

I have been away from torching for too long. This morning I finally will take some time to enjoy myself again. I am looking at the tuts and reading all the goodies. Your SIS is different and I can't wait to try it. And your site is chock full of good stuff also. Wish I had the ability to do all that also!
Many thanks
Anne

Old 2009-04-04, 5:00am
aka Spawn Of Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by anne225 View Post
Wish I had the ability to do all that also!
Ah, but you do... you just need more of that darn practice!

Everybody that has looked - thank YOU!

--
--
--

Old 2009-04-04, 8:35am
Noobie

I like your idea of using clear as a core, Im going to try that with my white..white seems to be too soupy for stringer control.
Old 2009-04-04, 11:48am
aka Spawn Of Flame

I use clear for most of my 104 stringers.

--
--
--

Old 2009-04-05, 11:43am

Thank you Rosemari, the clear core will solve your problems with stringer, I tried this SIS method and love it.
Old 2009-04-07, 6:25am

Smile Rose!!!!!!

Hi Rose-

What a great tutorial! You do make the very best SIS I've ever seen- thanks so much for doing this tut! Laura

Old 2009-04-07, 7:58am
I'm not Barbie.

What a great tut, thanks for sharing! I'll try it today!
Old 2009-04-07, 9:52am
Miata and Sunshine! Yay!

I have been stringer challenged up until the Expo, where Jeri showed me I actually could pull a stringer! I'm going to try the silvered ivory stringer! Your tutorial was so clear that even I can understand it! ) Thank you so much!!!
Old 2009-04-07, 10:16am
I like to melt things

It never occurred to me to use clear in the middle of my stringers. Thanks a lot for this tip! I have piles of nasty clear I need to use up and this will help a lot.

-
-
Old 2009-04-08, 2:06pm

Default Thanks!

Thanks so much for taking the time to write this tut, Rosemarie! I have been sis challenged forever and am always disappointed with my results - in fact started a thread about that some weeks ago.

There are great methods in this tut!! I never would have thought of the clear core and it is so logical, and I wouldn't doubt that that it spreads the ivory and silver nicely too. I'll bet the stringer is so much easier to control too.
Old 2009-04-10, 4:28pm
aka Spawn Of Flame

Thank you everybody! You're the best!

--
--
--

Old 2009-04-11, 8:59am

Just tried this method...walked away from the torch just to post this...Thank you for sharing

Old 2009-04-16, 2:06pm
Just a bit DOOPY DOO DAH!

Absolutely fanastic tutorial, I can't wait to try it. Thank you so much for your generosity for sharing your way of doing sis stringers.
Michelle.
Old 2009-04-19, 6:48am
old person/new member

Thanks Rosemarie! This sounds wonderful. I'mgoing to try it next torch time!!!

Old 2009-04-19, 7:06am
Sparkle Strumpet

Rose...I had a "slap myself on the head" moment with the touch of water to hold down the silver.....one of those "Well, of course!" moments....

thanks for sharing....

Kindle Edition by Laurie Byrne-Smith
Old 2009-04-19, 7:13am
aka Spawn Of Flame

I'm glad that many of these tips are helping people out. I really appreciate the feedback (and I'm overwhelmed at the response...)

--
--
--

Old 2009-04-19, 10:12am

Thank you for that drop of water. You should see me running around to chase that piece of silver.