AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

View Poll Results: Shorts..What do you do with them?
I use them to the very end 231 73.33%
I use them until I feel the heat and then toss aside 73 23.17%
I use them until I feel the heat and then sell them 5 1.59%
What are shorts 6 1.90%
Voters: 315. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-02-05, 3:36pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordGirlGoneBad View Post
I make twisties out of my shorts (I wonder if that's anything like getting my panties in a knot???) And once in a while stringers...but I use them to the very end.
LOL! Don't get your shorts all twisted!
Yeah, I use 'em, I save 'em, I sort them into transparents and opaques... and occasionally sift through looking for enough butt-ends of that one color I know I bought years ago that would be *perfect* for that one particular project... but mostly I use them for stringers.
Old 2008-02-05, 4:00pm
No Attention,No Tools

I use them for stringers, frit, I have tail nippers (rod holders) to use all of it, I agre glass is way too pretty and expensive to waste.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Enjoy The Beauty In Life…….
Old 2008-02-05, 9:30pm
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachertracey View Post
Now that is pretty nifty. I bookmarked that site quickly! Thanks.
you are welcome - I used to have all these shorts I were going to attach to longer rods . . . now I use them all the way to about 1/2" (sometimes all the way)!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-02-06, 11:47am

I always hook it to a longer rod.
G.
Old 2008-02-06, 12:08pm
CindyLynneGlass

Wasting glass...... isnt that alot like wasting alchohol? Abuse I tell you Abuse!!

I have a plant pot that mine are all sitting in but now you have all inspired me to do something with them. Especially since I cant make a nice bead to save my soul right now. Maybe Im trying too hard, not holding my mouth right I dont know! Yes I think I will make stringers, maybe some frit.

Old 2008-02-06, 2:20pm
Bravewarrior stumblinbatt

Hayley they look like a very cool tool!
I use a pair of Murrini hemostats - the best investment I ever made. I've even got used to manipulating then so I can hold them the same way as I do a rod. I can use rods down to the last 3/8"
They'll hold the thickest rod you can imagine, but they are no good for any diameter smaller than approx 3mm... & the last lot of ASK colours I got are more like stringers than rods!
Think I'll have to look at a pair of the Micro Merikals

~
~
~
Old 2008-02-06, 6:58pm
dances with ideas...

That tool does look cool! I find the murrini hemostats hard to use--not coordinated enough, I guess. I always fused my shorts until I read a tip here about using a wooden clothespin soaked in water. I wish I knew who mentioned this. It works for me, although the ends get burnt and you have to replace the clothespin periodically. You might even be able to carve a stringer holder into it, I'm not sure.

Old 2008-02-07, 1:07am
Glass-aholic

umm is hold it till you feel the heat and then continue to burn yourself thinking you can get more out of it an option???? LOL that is pretty much me. I toss them in color coodinated bins and use them for twisties and pulling flowers, leaves and tiny dots and such!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2008-02-07, 9:33am
Sparkle Strumpet

I use a rod down to my finger tips...or I don't. If I don't then it ends up on my bench, until I clean up, then it sits in a box.

I've finally sold some...and will be selling the rest.

I use most of the glass I buy....just not all.

Kindle Edition by Laurie Byrne-Smith
Old 2008-02-07, 9:34am
Sparkle Strumpet

AND.. I do sometimes, use an Uncle Al Rod Grabber....if it's in reach.

Kindle Edition by Laurie Byrne-Smith
Old 2009-05-07, 9:34pm
Tweedle Dumb

there is no such thing as a short when it comes to my silver glass. that stuff is too expensive to just toss aside. my clear and black is another story....

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2009-05-07, 10:24pm

I keep the shorts until the urge comes for me to sort them into pairs - then I use them to join together. If there's no match I use the merickal to use to the last. Fingers only make it to 2"!

Old 2009-05-08, 6:28am

Like so many others have said, I fuse mine together. If I'm on my last rod of a color, I've saved them in a jar to make frit out of.

A fuser trying to figure out this hot glass thing!

Currently using HH w/ MAPP gas - Cricket w/ concentrator is on the way!
Old 2009-05-08, 7:20am

I have used mine and fused them into a turtle or lizard mold. But usually I just use a pliers and use every piece of it.
Old 2009-05-08, 1:20pm
when in doubt, add a dot

I've been one to just throw the shorts into a tin, with the intention of making frit out of it. Well as it stands I could probably make frit for everyone on LE and then some. Lately I've been taking the 2-3" peices on my bench and practicing making spacers with them as a warm up. I figure I used that color for something recently and a spacer wouldn't hurt. I just get it warm enough to grab onto the mandrel then I let go of it, (I do like my fingertips!) and practice my heat control by letting it wrap itself around the mandrel. At least I'm using them up, not casting them aside.
Jaquetta

If you want my attention, talk glass to me.
Old 2009-05-08, 7:20pm
I like to melt things

My answer to this question has a direct relationship to another question, which is "Do you want suppliers to put labels on all of your rods".

And the answer to that is no, because I like to use my shorts as I go along, but if they have labels I have to stop, pick up another rod and then sometime later spend time taking all the labels off before I can go weld them together to use them up. Or I have to waste my time before I torch taking the labels off.

Either way, I use those darn shorts up completely and curse the people who sold me the glass while I'm doing the label removing.

I also use up all my stringer leftovers and bits by breaking them into small pieces, separating them by colour and using them as frit.

-
-
Old 2009-05-08, 7:44pm
Tweedle Dumb

ohh i'm a label freak, i want every thing labeled, i hate not knowing exactly what i'm using, i take a lot of notes about successes and failures so knowing exactly what i was using is essential. most of the moretti colors and vetro i know just looking at it, but my silver glass... soo much of it looks alike before it hits the flame that i feel the need to label everything. i guess i'm the odd man out, lol

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2009-05-09, 5:17am

I love shorts! I have bought shorts as I was learning to make beads because the glass was so much cheaper. I fuse them to longer rods, have one of the merikal tools (I love it) and think it's great to be a little surprised sometimes when they don't have a label. Sign me up to take any shorts no one wants!

Sharlyn
Old 2009-05-10, 6:36pm

Default Until they Burn me

I throw them into a box next to my bench, and there they sit. What kind of prices do you get for selling them. Could one fuse them into a plate. Though I sorta like the box, its really colorfull and reminds me of all the hours I spend melting glass.

Jumazio
Old 2009-05-11, 4:45am

Exclamation Frit blends

We have a box of short ends, I can't hold ones shorter than 3 inches although my husband can hand hold them down to 1 1/2 inches. (GTT torch).
We always pick frit combos out of the box, makes for fast blends and always keeps us inspired by using new frits
Keep it hot!
Sabrina
Old 2009-05-11, 9:22am
Sheila

Until recently, I tossed shorts (2" long or so) unless they were expensive or rare. Now I keep them in a box because I threw away so many shorts of old Moretti white and really regret it. You never know when a color will go to hell and you'll treasure those shorts!
Old 2009-05-11, 1:16pm
I'm meeeeelting

I use mine to make twisties or, more frequently, to pull pairs of thin stringer with handles by making a gather at the connection of two rods of the same color and then pulling and flame cutting the middle of the stringer.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2009-05-16, 7:41pm
Lover of all things color

I do all of the above, depending on the color or my mood. I do have a huge bottle of them. I have labels on all of my rods and if I forget to take the label off before I get too close to the end I hold it with tweezers to finish up.
As for the silver glass, I use it to the bitter end. I do like the idea of cutting them into chips. I'll have to try that. Cool idea.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2009-05-20, 5:43am

I melt to another rod.Make frit. Use all my shorts. And any shorts I buy or get gifted. I love shorts. I have been gifted shorts and it gave me a chance to see new glass.After all we cant have all glass can we?
Old 2009-05-20, 5:49pm

I use them to the end, by either fusing them to a longer rod of same color or using my tweezers to hold them...
Old 2009-05-25, 11:09am
Ad astra per aspera

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellaBlue View Post
I wait until I have a pile of them in the same color, then spend a few minutes melting them together into a longer rod that I use to make spacers...

Unless it is really expensive or hard-to-get glass; then I punty onto it and use it to the bitter end.
That's what I do. I use a lot of clear shorts as punties for other colors.

Another thing I do is punty and pull the last inch or two into stringer.

Old 2009-05-31, 3:17am

Great hubby's choice........Never thought about making twisties or paddles for center to make latachino.
What I do is make beautiful focal Paciso Beads. Reckless abandmont I call it. Something I pulled out of my Watercolor paintings. Lay it down and let her rip...........
I have all my shorts together.
close my eyes reach down pick up at least 3 shorts. than heat the tip of the short ,
let it fuse to dipped mandrel. Than do the same to the others. I let them go where they want to and I think they come out beautiful.
Secret is don't choose by colors. If you end up with all 3 being the same color. I use an
adventurne stringer Gold Blue or Green. Just poke it into the mix and let it do what it chooses, also black ,twistie, foil etc.
Please excuse my spelling, due to illness for a long time I have forgottened how to spell.
I have reverted back to Starting in the middle of a word and end it .
Great Thread
Teresa justice.
Old 2009-06-12, 10:26am

I melt them into a bead I'm making. I also gather up all the bits on my table put them into piles that play nicely and make what I call "waste beads". Sometimes they come out ahem and sometimes they're very pretty. I do it by melting a little glass onto the mandrel then when it's hot I just start picking up the bits. It's kind of an adventure and it keeps my rather small worktable (a slab of marble really) clean.
Mary
Old 2009-06-18, 7:49am

All my shorts get a clear 6mm handle and on the end I make mini marbles with a dot of the color the short is, so when I'm looking for color I just look at end of rods for color dots instead of looking at the 'color short' end... I know this might sound a little excessive, but I really don't use a TON of different colors so after a few sessions you ahve all the 6mm clear rods you need with the color dot marbles/counterweight/whatever ya wanna call em already premade and prelabeled correctly...
Old 2009-09-13, 8:02am

I use the add the end to the a new rod method. Except with clear. I have a ton of clear shorts. To be effective with clear it requires cleaning and picking ends, then there is still scum and bubbles. I do it if I am out of clear and the new order hasn't arrived yet.