Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2006-04-21, 9:12am

Default Boro frit beads??

Hi,
I was wondering if someone could explain to me how one would go about making these boro beads...is it just a single color bead rolled in frit or something more complex? Thank you!!
Donna

http://cgi.ebay.com/BB-GLASSART-Lampwork-Boro-Beads-Reflections_W0QQitemZ8926013187QQcategoryZ34070QQr dZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/BB-GLASSART-Lampwork-Boro-Beads-Intense-Blue-Fusion_W0QQitemZ8919399298QQcategoryZ34070QQrdZ1QQ cmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/BB-GLASSART-Lampwork-Boro-Beads-Sapphire-Mist_W0QQitemZ8919371216QQcategoryZ34070QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem

Last edited by donnam; 2006-04-25 at 7:31pm.
Old 2006-04-21, 9:15am

Sorry, I can't figure out how to post the links without making the page wide!
Old 2006-04-21, 9:55am

Hi Donna,

My guess would be possibly a cobalt base with some kind of blue frit over applied a couple different ways then encased. The frit color is probably the tricky part! They are a beautiful blue. Good luck.

Shari Barry
Maya Designs
Old 2006-04-22, 10:42am
Old enough to know better

They could have been done with one of the silver blues (Blue Moon, Blue Lightening, etc.) twisted with clear. Especially the last 2. The first could be very similar, only a clear frit used on the outside of the blue.

All progress is based upon a universal innate desire on the part of every organism to live beyond its income.
- Samuel Butler, 1912
Old 2006-04-22, 10:49am
I'm a lilac!

You could ask the artist if he would be interested in sharing his recipe - perhaps he would be interested in a trade? I recently worked out a trade for some of my recipes and techniques - I am getting a lovely piece of art in exchange. If it's a recipe he got from a book, perhaps he will tell you what book it is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-04-22, 10:52am

The third set looks like it was made with a handmade striped cane wrapped around a few times before clear casing, rather than being a frit-based design.
Anita
www.fireflybeads.com
Old 2006-04-25, 7:30pm

Red face

Well, considering I don't even really know how to make a bead or operate a torch yet, I guess the only advice that I could trade with him is medically related and I don't think he would be too happy with that lol !! I guess I should have asked if anyone could recommend any videos on making boro beads as that is what I would like to learn first and I like those particular styles of beads. Maybe I am setting my sights too high in wanting to learn boro first?? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Donna
Old 2006-04-25, 7:37pm
I'm a lilac!

I can wholeheartedly recommend Doug Remscheider's "Boro Bead Magic" video... it's superb and contains a number of wonderful boro recipes and great techniques you can experiment with and take further. The main thing he teaches in the video is how to build cane, which is a fundamental part of getting good color in boro beads.

Trades don't have to be for glass. I bet you have other knowledge, skills, talents, and stuff!

Old 2006-04-26, 3:44am
Old enough to know better

In some ways I could recommend learning boro first. It is more forgiving time-wise because it melts more slowly. It isn't as subject to thermal shock so you don't have to be as cautious introducing rods into the flame. The only problem is that you'll need more fire power because of its higher melting temperature. Hothead torches are out - you'll have to have an oxy-propane torch. You'll probably want an introductary bead book or video as well, since Doug's video doesn't cover all the basics like bead release, winding, studio set up, etc.

All progress is based upon a universal innate desire on the part of every organism to live beyond its income.
- Samuel Butler, 1912
Old 2006-04-26, 5:19am

it looks like stringers zig zag then encased or frit raked with clear, not sure though. likely the artist may share
ro

Last edited by Ro; 2006-04-26 at 5:21am.
Old 2006-04-26, 9:35am
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

1st one - looks like a base color (or possibly one base color on top of another one, like a nice blue on top of clear) then added frit, then encased.

2nd one and 3rd one - looks like a striped cane (take a rod of 10mm clear, stripe it about 2" with various colors, melt and twist gently as you melt. Then wrap about 3x and encase with clear). The mor you manipulate it, the more you get those "vapor trails" which can be all the way from subtle stripes to (if you monkey with it too much) mud.

And I second Kalera on recommending Doug's Video - excellent, also the "Boro Cookbook" is great for recipes.

I'd also highly advise (or second all the advice here) about getting yourself into a class. Arrowsprings has some great classes if you're willing to travel, or you can check with the www.ISGB.org to see if they have classes in your area. Classes (especially good ones) can seem like they cost an arm and a leg, but in the long run you will save a ton of money that you will probably waste on broken/cracked glass and buying crappy equipment that you'll have to upgrade later. Just my .02.

You might want to look at starting with soft glass (Moretti/Effetre) instead of Boro, since the cost of equipment and glass is considerably less and there are many more classes offered in soft glass than boro. I started with soft and I also do boro now - I've found the learning curve to be almost non-existant moving up to the harder glass. You can achieve a lot of the same effects of boro using frit for soft glass too (check out www.glasspoet.com, www.spiraldancedesign.com for examples).

Welcome to a new chapter in your life! Chapter 11
Old 2006-04-26, 4:32pm
Cheesehead Packer lover

Don't lie to the poor girl, it's not a chapter, it's an obsession!!!

Cherie
Sisters Beads
If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague
Old 2006-04-28, 4:00am
Serenity Now!

Obsession?! It's a way of life...magical, mystical - the stuff dreams are made of! Enjoy!!

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2006-04-29, 6:59pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

It's more addictive than nicotine, more costly than a heroin habit and you'll have more scars on your body than a Poorly trained Hollywood stuntman.

..yeah, yeah.....magical, mystical..
Old 2006-04-30, 2:34am
Serenity Now!

Rotflmao!

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here: