Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2011-02-24, 11:50am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Default Alien Tech

The latest 'hot' color appears to be North Star's Alien Tech. The story of it's origin and subsequent production is interesting but not for today.

Any how I finally got some from ABR and would like to know how to work it. I've searched thru LWE and the melting pot forums and while there are pictures of work and little snippets of info and hints of techniques no one actually tells how they get the amazing colors and effects that they do.

So, how does one work this glass. Flame chemistry, striking, variations, etc.???????
PJH
Old 2011-02-24, 2:17pm

Work it like an amber purple
Old 2011-02-24, 7:50pm
ManBearPig

I've got a little bit, but I'm not using it for a while. Everyone and their brother is doing "alien tech this" and "alien tech that". I'm going to let the popularity die down for a while, then when I start using it, it will be "retro"...

But, like BorosilliBeader said, work it like any other striking color. Heat it up, let it cool, then strike it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-02-25, 7:08am
Marbles, dude, Marbles

Since there is no real definitive guidance on using Alien Tech I must assume that everyone is just winging it.. Some people are coming up with amazing stuff, and I guess some are coming up with 'poop'. Winging it might not get you the results that you saw in your head while planning your piece, but man, some of you are coming up with really cool stuff. Moral of the story: by winging it you might just fly really high!

Old 2011-02-25, 9:15am
Newb boro fanatic

I'd say just look up working tips for Loki's Lipstick, as that's the striking colour in AT. Tho since AT is pre encased in Simax I'd say flame chemistry would be less important, and there'd be no surface haze to burn off.

I'd say flame strike parts you want to be darker, then kiln strike a bit over that, so the un-struck parts go yellow (to get the green look from the unobtanium), and the flame struck parts get redder. I haven't played with Loki's Lipstick a whole yet though, and no experiance with AT at all lol

Old 2011-02-25, 2:35pm
boro color bender

It's encased in clear already, so there's really no flame interaction unless you blow it thin... I've worked a very similar combo for a long time and it's just a matter of working it and striking it in the kiln... with out flame interaction, the silver color stays amber... put amber over the sparkle and you get the gold look... the variation in color comer from different thicknesses of the Loki over the sparkle.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2011-06-16, 10:02am

I would like more info and pic's. too.
G.
Old 2011-06-16, 11:20am

Mr smiley said it nicely if you keep it thick you will see more of the lopkis (purple colors) but when you pull it thin the sparkle shows thru more. Using thick and thin pulled sections in the same pc. gives you those cool efects your looking for. it is covered in clear so you get best results striking in the kiln. I have used this in some implosions and get some real nice colors from this glass that way. I will see if I have some laying around and post some pics.
Old 2011-06-16, 11:29am

both of these are alen tech you can see alot of the unob because it is pulled so thin. I dont think you can make this glass look bad so have fun with it.
Attached Images

Old 2011-06-16, 1:22pm

We still have some "Alien Green Experimental" as well. It's Alien Tech, without the clear coat. So, lots of reaction on the surface. Pretty fun stuff.