Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2010-05-14, 10:51pm

Default set up inside the bus !!!

finally got myself set up out of the wind !!! Travelling for hubbies work then a working holiday round Oz !
Name:  P1011903.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  50.7 KB
Old 2010-05-14, 10:53pm

SAFETY : have windows open, fan in the one behind the gas bottle, and the door is right beside me and is left open for ventilation, and fire extingisher right next to chair !!
Old 2010-05-15, 12:39am

You might want to put the propane outside the window with your hoses coming inside

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-05-15, 6:26am
MacGalver

Kerry~

It looks great and fun! I'm also concerned to see the propane tank inside and the rubber hose exposed where flying glass could hit it. That should be simple to fix with the tank out the door or window as Lori suggested.

What an adventure for you! Congrats on the mobile workspace and please keep us posted with photos of you torching at the beach, etc!

Jo

Old 2010-05-15, 6:26am
Gentleman of Leisure

Yeah.... Propane bottle would be much safer outside.... Or in VENTILATED storage compartment under bus....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2010-05-15, 10:29am

Do you not realize your torch is aimed right at your propane. But hey, if you're ok with blowing up then by all means leave it there. Do yourself a favour and get your propane out of the bus.
Old 2010-05-15, 12:02pm
Certified Thread Killer

So happy to see another setup inside a bus (caravan, motorhome, RV, etc)!

My studio is in the back, but I have about the same amount of working space.

I am also a little tiny bit leery of your propane setup. The tank is kind of exposed and you don't seem to have a pressure regulator. You might try to find a way to put the tank outside "just in case"

We do work in limited space, I know, and we do what we can. Hence, no photos of my studio space here! I'm a little custom-built for safety but would still freak out anyone who hasn't had to try to torch "on the road".
Old 2010-05-16, 12:26pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleCatJewels View Post
I am also a little tiny bit leery of your propane setup. The tank is kind of exposed and you don't seem to have a pressure regulator. You might try to find a way to put the tank outside "just in case"
It looks like she's got a Hot Head torch, so there is no regulator needed.

I also agree about getting the propane tank outside of the bus. If you need a longer hose, I have them:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=162907

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2010-05-16, 3:36pm

Thumbs up fixed it !!!!!!!!!

yep, hadn't thought of that flying glass situation, was more concerned myself that any goop in the line would collect in the dip, and flying glass would get into the flooring, !!! but have a new hose and its out the window behind me now and all's good, had a longer hose made up ! the gas guy reckons u can hit the hose directly with an oxy flame and it takes a bit of time to get through, but I'm NOT going to check that !!!!! have the setup at home facing a wall and have never had marks on it from the heat of the torch and its considerably closer than the bottle was, but took ur advice anyway and we r set !!!!!!!!!
Old 2010-05-16, 3:45pm

Default hot head

and yes I have a hot head so no regulater needed, could not justify any bigger set up at home, even though I have drooled and thought about it for a while now, then with the limits of space in the bus, and DH's tolerances for Kiln, all my glass stuff and then lets not mention the quilting stuff........... well anyway a girl needs a sewing machine so she can fix hubby's gear too u know !!!!!!
Old 2010-05-16, 7:18pm
Certified Thread Killer

Yes, my sewing machine is in the bus too…and a 15-needle commercial embroidery machine. We don't have room for company…LOL!

Glad you got a longer hose! I was always waaaayyy too chicken to run my Hothead with a bulk hose. I would be double-chicken inside the bus.

Oh, and my kiln, I have to put it in the shower stall when I run it because there is nowhere else to put it
Old 2010-05-16, 10:49pm

yep the gas guy laughed at me when I explained, he reckons if it blows up outside the window its still taking the bus too, but as far as leaks go, he said that is the only reason he would put it outside, but I think I'm happier this way !!! yep doesn't the shower get used for heaps of other uses !!! the most useful room on the bus !!