Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2010-07-20, 8:18pm

Default got a new studio in the works

well its official, I can finally breathe and not jinx the deal because it all ours. I landed a sweet deal on a oregon coastal cottage that will permit me the use of the guest cottage or the garage for a studio just devoted to glass.
my wife is telling me to use the guest house , but I think I'll take the lesser of the two and be pleased with the garage. to be honest the out side space around this very small guest house is too nice and I doubt I'd get any thing done out side of kicking back. Hmmm maybe I"ll take the house

pretty odd how things play out in life if you ask me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

------------------------
Kobuki*Delta Elite*Mirage*Blast Shields*two DeVilbiss 5 LPM* tanks* foot pedal.

Last edited by murf; 2010-07-20 at 8:25pm.
Old 2010-07-20, 9:20pm
Cat Winx

Congratulations Bayard.. you must be very excited* (*hell* I'm excited FOR you! :}

~Rachel Cat

Old 2010-07-20, 9:36pm

well thanks, kind of funny considering I just mentioned to you that I had hit the wall in creative ability. sounds like this may boost my spirits . really hope i can find time in the studio, I having a lot of surfing and crabbing to do and kicking back. my offer to you still stands at either location. some day, ok
Murf ?

------------------------
Old 2010-07-20, 9:54pm
Cat Winx

ABSOLUTELY.. expect it.
Might take me a while as I've got to move my own self and shop(s) down more your way by December.. (going to start school at TESC winter quarter :} ..but in the long run that will make it easier and, by the way, the offer goes both ways!

~Rachel

Old 2010-07-20, 9:58pm

very cool!!!

------------------------
Old 2010-07-20, 10:10pm

my choices. hope either will work
Attached Images

------------------------
Old 2010-07-21, 12:15am

I'd go with the garage rather than having to cart your tanks around to the guest house. Congrats.....
Old 2010-07-21, 6:04am
The Brighter the Better!

I think that I would go with the Guest house! Need to be surrounded by beauty to create some beautiful glass work Congradulations

Cheers

Jenny

Old 2010-07-21, 6:20am
Did someone say SALE?

Sweet! That guest house is just adorable!!

If you go with the garage and need guests to fill the guest house, just let me know! lol
Old 2010-07-21, 10:02am

I think I'll try the garage. to be honest here at home i work in the dark with just a spot light hitting the top of my torch marver. I have windows here in my present shop but the side lighting and wearing protective glasses just dont work well for me.
nice offer from the Wife, but a guest room would no doubt excite her more in decorating than having me set up shop. I have request no theme decorating. no coastal star fish crap or the likes. I got to much of that country clutter stuff at home.

------------------------
Old 2010-07-21, 10:24am
honorary bead lady

Where??? We may have to plan a trip south
SWEET! LOVE that outdoor fireplace!
Old 2010-07-21, 11:18am
I speak Murrini!

Oh, Murf...it's just fab! I'm so happy for you! Hope the garage works out well; given the choice, though, I'd go with the Guest House and put shades on the windows! I'd be OVER THE MOON with excitement...a place all my own? My heart goes pitter-patter for 'ya!

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-07-21, 4:30pm

located in Seaside Or.

------------------------
Old 2010-07-21, 6:22pm
honorary bead lady

Well that was my first guess!
Old 2010-07-21, 6:48pm
formerly Marella

Great space...congrats!

The mojo will be flowin' in no time. When do you move?

~
~
~
Old 2010-07-22, 10:04am

officially , I think at the beginning of Sept(it has been leased to a nice family from LA till the end of August). With the markets I do down in Oregon, I plan on being there three to four days a week, splitting my time between my place here in Wa and there. My son is considering using it as his full time residence? thats cool with me as long as his college education continues.

there will be weeks when my wife will throw me out so that she and her girl friends can take over the house and have fun. it is an area where you can shop till you drop which is very cool for her, but not my type of thing. I sit on the "Man Bench" and just people watch when she is into it. I know the area holds a lot of what we all love.

I just happened to be taking a coastal motor cycle ride and found my self down there , and by chance found this home. well as things turned out and this all happened very quickly we are now the proud owners of a very cute coastal home. built in 1920 the home is freshly remodeled and I dont have to do a thing. I've owned 7 homes and all have been major redo's. I am seriously loving the fact (for a small window of time) that all I need to do is enjoy it. my big plan is to flood the oregon coast with my work next year. I use to have work in the galleries down in Cannon Beach years ago, but it was a pain in the rear to keep up with things some what long distance. time will tell if I can produce enough work to do this. tourism is way down, the NW summers that everyone is use to is slow in happing, been a very cool summer. hoping by next year things change for all of use and the slumping economy picks up some. so fingers crossed.

thats all down the road.

my youngest brother is coming to southern oregon for a 20 day class for building Cobb Homes( organic) and by the time he is done i should be in the house .we both surf, so that is all I know for sure that I will be doing. any thing out side of that is just icing.

------------------------

Last edited by murf; 2010-07-22 at 10:24am.
Old 2010-07-22, 10:14am

the cottage home, my wife is gitty as a school girl about the house. I'm loving the out side space and the beach stuff.
Attached Images

------------------------
Old 2010-07-22, 11:37am

That house is gorgeous, the cottage is adorable and the setting perfect!! You are truly blessed!!! Congrats!!
Mary T.

Old 2010-07-22, 3:12pm

it occurred to me as i sat rubbing my eyes from a few hours of torching. A "what if"
what if I built a small studio over the garage? I mean the footing for upper walls are there.
my wife hates my "what if's" but hmmmmm. Interesting.

------------------------
Old 2010-07-22, 3:53pm
Macaw Mamma

Oh I love it.... what an adorable place!!!!

Torchin' with a Cheetah and a Bobcat on tanked O2
Fusin' in a Jen-Ken
Old 2010-07-23, 10:00am

Tell her you want to build a shed for your studio, and when she asks where say, " on top of the garage...."
Old 2010-07-23, 11:48am
Somewhat out there!

But it won't be move in ready
Old 2010-07-23, 4:38pm

she thought that was a good idea. the gods must be crazy or smiling on me(us). i think that shop project is something to consider. I wouldn't build it, no doubt I would do the siding. very easy access for a contractor and fairly small project. the true expense is the siding, i have the same type on my present home and it is made just down the road, but good god its $$$$$$.

thanks all for the congrads. we can move in 8/16

------------------------
Old 2010-07-24, 10:50am
Gentleman of Leisure

Only question that comes to mind is parking.... It may or may not be issue.... What about at night when everybody is home or has guests, is there enough room on street if you convert garage to studio...

"Cottage" over garage has potential, what about zoning/codes?

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2010-07-25, 4:56am
Resident hippie

Ooh congrats Murf!
I would go with the cottage or build up over the garage.
When I look at your list of equipment the garage space doesn't look very big, unless that's a HuGe car.
The whole place looks wonderful - and beach and surfing as well. WooHoo!

Have FUN!!!!! It's not about perfection..... Leslie - [not so] Crazy Woman

Old 2010-07-25, 10:39pm

zoning might be a issue, how ever
what inspection I did of the garage leaves me to believe that previously there was a upper section. If i can prove that, maybe zoning won't be a problem.

even with the garage as a garage there still is a parking issues. not that you cant park but it may not be in front. I'm there to let my truck, car or motorcycle rust from three days at a time. I'm hoofing it, part of the reason I'm there.(I'm lazy,bicycle)

my shop for glass here its pretty tight for space and i love that. I work in the dark with a spot lamp, so the garage if need be will do.

------------------------