No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2010-07-27, 5:54am
Who me?

Default Separate A/C for your Studio?

My studio is a converted garage - raised the floor and stabbed into the house A/C and heat ducts - enlarged the unit to by 1 ton and added a window unit to the studio. It's still too hot to work in there.

What do you folks do for additional A/C. I want to get rid of the window unit because it begs for the house to be broken into.

I'm considering one of those ductless split A/C units where the compressor is on the ground outside and the cooling unit is on the wall inside piped through a 3 inch hole.

Anyone have any experience with these ot have any other suggestions?
Old 2010-07-27, 9:29am

Work at night......
Old 2010-07-27, 10:42am
My opinion not needed

When I worked in the garage I picked up a portable ac unit from Home Depot or Lowes...

This one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Air-Conditioner-...QQcmdZViewItem

worked great!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-07-27, 4:08pm
Who me?

borosilli - I DO work at night - it's 90 degrees in there with the kiln and torch - even with a small window AC.

Robin, thanks, I just ordered a 14,000 btu portable AC from Sears. My room is 300 sq feet and this is supposed to handle 450 sq ft so I've got my fingers crossed.

PS with the heat wave we have had around here, Sears, Sams and Home Depot locally were all out of portable ACs
Old 2010-07-27, 5:33pm

Good luck Linda,
I hope you get nice and cool. Glad you were able to an AC unit!!
My shed is 12x10= 120 sq feet and I have a 10,000 BTU portable unit like posted above by Robin. I run it for at least two hours prior to torching. During the summer it is about 95 so I try to torch early in the morning. Also I have baffles on my ventilation at the sides and top. Make- up air holes are cut in my bench so it is not exhausting much of my ac. Have a fan running at my feet and drink lots of water. When the sweat runs in my eyes it's time to stop and jump in the pool to cool down. August is the worst, no torching at all.
MarieAnn
Old 2010-07-28, 5:12am
Elphaba Lives !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamper View Post
borosilli - I DO work at night - it's 90 degrees in there with the kiln and torch - even with a small window AC.

Robin, thanks, I just ordered a 14,000 btu portable AC from Sears. My room is 300 sq feet and this is supposed to handle 450 sq ft so I've got my fingers crossed.

PS with the heat wave we have had around here, Sears, Sams and Home Depot locally were all out of portable ACs
Oh Linda, I know what you mean about that heat. Even with my portable AC unit, I've been a little hesitant to turn on that kiln. When you're setting yours up, try pointing the thing right at you, or at least in your general area. This way, even if the room doesn't cool down a lot, you'll be feeling that cold air on you and it will help keep you from getting too hot !!

Old 2010-07-28, 7:52am

Good luck with your portable unit. My studio has a window air. Thank goodness. It is cold in there when it is ready for work. Then we warm it up. YEAH. First time in a very long time.

Rose Leslie