No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2006-02-24, 3:39pm
Pobody's nerfect!

Exclamation A scary lesson & safety reminder

So I admit it, I've gotten a little lax with some safety rules. I guess I put my oven mitt and safety goggles on top of my kiln when I walked out of the room to take a break from torching.. I didnt even realize I had put them there...

I started doing a bunch of other stuff in the house and noticed it seemed to be getting smokey. Ran upstairs to find smoke coming from the torch room.. it was FULL of smoke. the mitt is now a heap of smoking charcoal and my goggles are half melted. And the smoke is very very nasty. I see now why that stuff can kill you long before the fire ever does.

I was very lucky that it wasnt much worse. My exhaust fan is working overtime now, and I've got all the windows open in the house to dissipate it. I'm surprised the neighbors arent' wondering what the smoke is that's pouring out of the windows. And WHY didnt the SMOKE DETECTOR go off?

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DON'T EVER LEAVE YOUR KILN UNATTENDED!!!!!! Pay attention to what other things are around it!!!! CHECK YOUR SMOKE DETECTOR BATTERIES!!!!!

OMG, I have certainly learned a good lesson today.

And P.S. Mike, now I have a good reason to order some cool new glasses

"While we have the gift of life, it seems to me the only tragedy is to allow part of us to die -- whether it is our spirit, our creativity or our glorious uniqueness” -- Gilda Radner
Old 2006-02-24, 4:04pm
Eight Miles Wide

HOLY COW. I'm glad you're ok.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-02-24, 10:13pm
Facebook addict

OMG, a similar incident happened to me this week! I had an oven mitt on top of the kiln (while running, duh) and noticed a burning smell. Lo and behold, the mitt was *just* starting to burn!

Mini cc w/2, 5 lpm concentrators
Old 2006-02-24, 10:19pm
Pobody's nerfect!

LOL, well I'm glad I'm not the only one.....

I don't know why it surprised me that the oven mitt burned. I was thinking that it was actually the plastic safety glasses that started to melt, which in turn then started the mitt burning. Guess I was wrong...

You were lucky that you caught it early!!!!!

"While we have the gift of life, it seems to me the only tragedy is to allow part of us to die -- whether it is our spirit, our creativity or our glorious uniqueness” -- Gilda Radner
Old 2006-02-25, 12:15am
Aquarian Artist

Well, I am very happy that you (and your home) are ok. It's always a reality check when I read these threads! Thanks for sharing.

"I believe in God, only I spell it Nature" - Frank Lloyd Wright
Old 2006-02-25, 7:13am

I glad to hear you are OK and your home is intact!

Old 2006-02-27, 5:41am
Safety ALWAYS

If your smoke detector did not go off, first check the battery. If the battery is good, replace the smoke detector.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2006-04-02, 9:17am
Experimentalist

I don't have a kiln, but I didn't realize they get hot on the outside. Yikes!

Laura
Old 2006-04-02, 11:05am
I'm a lilac!

Yes, kilns get VERY hot on the outside! I actually use mine to "reheat" my tea when it gets too cold.

The fact that they generate so much heat is why most kiln manufacturers recommend that your kiln be two feet or more from ANY flammable surface. Including walls and floor.

Old 2006-04-04, 7:27am

Im glad you are ok. Thats kinda weird? I have a paragon and a coupla Aim kilns here, its been my experiance they get warm on the ouside, but not Hot. Definetly not hot enough to combust something. What kind of kiln do you have?
B
Have you tried the kevlar gloves? There awsome, you can take a piece out of the kiln @ 1050 and hold it in your hand to work on it, do touchups etc.
Old 2006-04-04, 7:39am
odd lot addict

2 feet? Looks like I'll be moving my kiln this weekend . . .

Old 2006-04-04, 7:45am
Button Queen

My kiln is sitting on concrete blocks, on top of the table. It's not 2 feet from the window (it's in front of a window), but we stand ceramic tiles up behind it. When it's running, the blinds are left all the way up, WAAYYYY out of range. And I still get nervous.....
Old 2006-04-04, 8:24am
Safety ALWAYS

2 feet for very large kilns.

I recommend at least 6" for metal encased muffle type kilns (such as my RANA Bead Annealer or the Fuse Box from EK Miller [discontinued]).

The best way to tell if you have enough space is to use the hand test. When the kiln has been running for several hours, put your hand on the wall behind the kiln. If it is so hot you cannot keep your hand on it comfortably, the kiln is too close - back it up at least 12".

Use the same test for under the kiln - if you can't keep your hand on the table underneath the kiln, raise it up, or put non-flammable materials such as sheet metal or ceramic tiles under it.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2006-04-04, 8:26am
Safety ALWAYS

And check your power cords and outlets from time to time. The cord and wall plug or wall socket should not be warm, and NEVER hot.

If there is noticable heat in the cord, connector or wall socket, you may have wiring problems which could lead to a fire.

And of course: NEVER EVER use extension cords to run your kiln.

Old 2006-04-04, 8:22pm

Wow that is scary! Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !