Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2008-07-29, 8:49am

Default little explosion!!

Last night while torching in my garage, with the propane tank far away from me thank goodness, I had an explosion. The hose that is attached to my hot head apparently had a leak. I have been a little stuffy so I didn't smell the propane leaking. When the fumes hit the fire it exploded, it was like a fire ball in the face. Lukily I have great ventilation so it was a small explosion but it was enough to blow the hose off the hot head, the mandrel out of my hands, and singe the hair around my face. My face hurts a little this morning but somehow I escaped any burns to my face. I was wearing safety glasses so my eyes were protected. I really feel lucky. Now I am afraid to use the hose (I won't be able to use the same one because when it happened the hose separated from the fitting). Is it possible I had the flame set too low and the tank turned up too high? Anyway, I bought the hose from a reliable store online, and obviously I somehow didn't do something right but I think I am going back to small mapp tanks that I know are attached and not leaking. I am kind of embarassed this happened to me but I thought I would tell the story so it doesn't happen to anyone else. Make sure your hoses are attached properly!!!! AND DO NOT TORCH BY THE TANK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 2008-07-29, 9:53am
Gentleman of Leisure

Glad you are ok...... These incidents are almost unheard of, but accidents do happen...

DO NOT TRY TO REUSE HOSE.... Obviously there was a defect where hose was crimped on connector for torch........ Cut it up so it can't accidentally be reused and dispose of it.....

Also a continued process for leak testing all connections, either on Hot Head or oxy/fuel systems may have caught this before your accident.....

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2008-07-29 at 10:00am.
Old 2008-07-29, 10:12am
Looking for my waistline

Always, always check hoses for leaks, especially when you first attach them to your tank and torch. Use soapy water with plenty of soap and look for tiny bubbles fizzing up off the hose along the entire gas line. Pay special attention to any connections, like where the fitting is slid onto the hose and where the hose attatches to the tank and at the torch. You should do periodic checks if you leave the hoses attached, and check them every time if you disassemble your setup after torching.

I'm so glad you are OK. That is so scarey!
Old 2008-07-29, 10:44am
I speak Murrini!

Oh, J~~~!

Sounds very scary...I'm so glad you're OK!!!

I don't think that the standard "Hot Head Hose" has a "flashback arrestor" option that woud even fit, and I'm thinking that since your Propane Tank was some distance from your torch, this was a saving grace. It occurred to me, though, how did the flame not travel through the hose and not blow your tank? I initially had reservations about posting this question in written form, since as I think about it, I cringe at the thought of how awful this COULD HAVE BEEN! Nevertheless, it's probably a good question to put out there - in case someone has a theory and/or definitive information on how to add more "flashback" protection to a Hot Head Hose.

A lesson to all, of course, is to keep that tank far, far away from your torch area and definitely NOT inside your studio - outside only!

Take care and hope you find your comfort zone asap to get back on the horse and ride!

Hugs,
DeAnne

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-07-29, 12:27pm

Thanks!! I have no idea why the flame didn't go backwards in the hose and blow up the tank. My friend asked me the same thing. The only thing I can think of is that when the explosion happened it blew the hose part off of the fitting on the hothead which was also dangerous because there was propane blowing out of the hose, luckily I acted fast and ran out and turned off the propane tank. When I write all of this I realize how lucky I am, and yes I should have been testing for leaks. The great thing about this experience is I learned a lot and only have some red spots on my face and a little bit of burned hair to show for it. I feel blessed!!! If I didn't love this so much I would quit as of last night!!!
Old 2008-07-29, 1:48pm
old fart

i am glad you are ok. you were very lucky. no one should be using a hothead inside a building with a bulk tank, it is way too dangerous. it is dangerous if the tank is outside and even worse inside..

Old 2008-07-29, 9:13pm
Chocoholic

I'm really new to all this but I could have sworn I read that it isn't recommended to use bulk gas and hoses when using a hot head torch, that the torch was originally designed for use with small canisters only. Could this have been the culprit?

Laura Lee
Old 2008-07-30, 4:51am

Geez. I am so glad you're okay and that you didn't suffer any worse burns.
My Etsy

SRA
#H135
Old 2008-07-30, 7:41am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post
I don't think that the standard "Hot Head Hose" has a "flashback arrestor" option that woud even fit, and I'm thinking that since your Propane Tank was some distance from your torch, this was a saving grace. It occurred to me, though, how did the flame not travel through the hose and not blow your tank?
DeAnne
The "flash" of fuel was caused by a leaking hose. A flashback arrestor would have had no effect in this situation. The "flash" was external to hose, a flashback arrestor would only have had effect if it were internal to hose.

This situation could have happened to any torch the fact it was a HH on bulk fuel is not completely relevant. It could have happened even with a oxy/fuel torch with flashback arrestor in place.... A leak is a leak....

Again, everybody consciously check for leaks. Even if there was none yesterday, that does not mean it can not occur today.

Dale

Old 2008-07-30, 7:51am
old fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
This situation could have happened to any torch the fact it was a HH on bulk fuel is not completely relevant. It could have happened even with a oxy/fuel torch with flashback arrestor in place.... A leak is a leak....
Dale
a leak in a hose at 0.25 to 10 psi pressure is a leak. this is the pressure range for a normal oxy/fuel torch.

a leak in a hose at 150 to 250 psi pressure is a much much much bigger leak. this is the pressure range for a hothead torch as it has no regulator.

Last edited by laserglass; 2008-07-30 at 7:54am.
Old 2008-07-30, 10:22am

Here is a link to the ISGB safety forum for more info that you may find relevant. http://www.isgb.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13314

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2008-07-30, 4:48pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam View Post
Here is a link to the ISGB safety forum for more info that you may find relevant. http://www.isgb.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13314
I wish I would have known this before I bought the hose!!! I am not using the hose anymore. I bought mapp tanks and am going to stick to those until I buy a minor torch, which will be sooner rather than later (you can bet I will be checking for leaks everyday). I tried to make beads yesterday but I was too afraid even though I was using a small mapp tank. Finally today I was able to sit down and torch. I hope this thread helps to prevent this from happening to anyone else, it was awful!!!
Old 2008-07-30, 4:59pm
da General

I am so glad you suffered minimal injuries!!!

I have read about how unsafe it was to use a bulk tank with a HotHead. That was why I only used 1# mapp canisters when I was on a HH and upgraded to a Bobcat in less than six months. My only concern is that now that Mapp is discontinued, there will be more bulk tank of propane used with HHs!

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-07-30, 6:21pm

Unfortunately, most people tend to ignore the fact that Hot Head torches were made for the small canisters. It is so much more convenient and less costly to hook up to one of the big tanks. However, it is important to understand the dangers involved when you use a product outside of the recommendations. Don't feel bad, or afraid - though I am sure I would if something like that happened. Many, many people torch every day with a Hot Head torch and this is the first time I have heard of something like this happening. You have to be terribly, terribly cautious when using any torch, but the Hot Head, since it doesn't regulate the pressure coming from the tank is especially dangerous when used with a bulk tank. Just be careful and alert to the problems that can occur. I am really, really glad that you are okay. You were very lucky, as it could have been so much worse.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2008-07-30, 7:28pm
Living out Loud

Hi, I used a hothead with bulk fuel and did not have any problems. I guess ignorane is bliss. In any event I want to thanks for sharing this with all of us and I am so glad your injuries were not worse. Sorry you were frighted. Best of luck and keep torching. Incidents like this remind us to be careful. Take care.
Old 2008-07-31, 10:07am
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserglass View Post
a leak in a hose at 0.25 to 10 psi pressure is a leak. this is the pressure range for a normal oxy/fuel torch.

a leak in a hose at 150 to 250 psi pressure is a much much much bigger leak. this is the pressure range for a hothead torch as it has no regulator.
exactly

J, I am so glad that you're o.k.!
Old 2008-07-31, 5:40pm
St.Onge Art Glass

Red face Mapp Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
I am so glad you suffered minimal injuries!!!

I have read about how unsafe it was to use a bulk tank with a HotHead. That was why I only used 1# mapp canisters when I was on a HH and upgraded to a Bobcat in less than six months. My only concern is that now that Mapp is discontinued, there will be more bulk tank of propane used with HHs!
Today I visited my local Airgas store and was able to buy 1lb canisters of MAPP gas. When I said something about it being discontinued, they were surprised and said it was news to them. They have plenty in stock and supply several local outfits with MAPP gas. The gas I bought is bottled by Bernzomatic. Incidentally, Bernzomatic has a page on their site that shows a MAPP bottle and gives the specs, etc. Maybe it isn't discontinued??
Old 2008-07-31, 5:59pm
da General

This is the thread on the subject . . . since I don't use MAPP gas, I am sorry that I haven't really followed the development. I think BernzOmatic will be selling propylene and not the trademarked MAPP gas . . .

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...t=85050&page=2

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-07-31, 7:45pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbordocj View Post
Today I visited my local Airgas store and was able to buy 1lb canisters of MAPP gas. When I said something about it being discontinued, they were surprised and said it was news to them. They have plenty in stock and supply several local outfits with MAPP gas. The gas I bought is bottled by Bernzomatic. Incidentally, Bernzomatic has a page on their site that shows a MAPP bottle and gives the specs, etc. Maybe it isn't discontinued??
It may be MAPP and it may be available until existing supplies run out...

I was in local hardware store today and also Home Depot, both have Bernz-0-Matic MAP-PRO (propylene) in yellow canisters..... You have to read label real close...

Dale

Last edited by Dale M.; 2008-07-31 at 7:48pm.
Old 2008-07-31, 10:18pm

Hi, I'm so glad all is Ok, though you had a big scare for sure! And I'm really glad you got back on the horse so to speak.
I personally stopped using bulk propane with a Hot Head because of the facts Mark posted and other info I read about the dangers. Sometimes I think there is so much contrary information out there it's hard to know what to do. But I could not torch happily anymore with bulk. Still, I know many that do and thought I was silly for not, but well, it IS supposed to be fun right?

Angela

Old 2008-08-01, 6:02am
St.Onge Art Glass

Talking Mapp Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
It may be MAPP and it may be available until existing supplies run out...

I was in local hardware store today and also Home Depot, both have Bernz-0-Matic MAP-PRO (propylene) in yellow canisters..... You have to read label real close...

Dale
The gas I purchased was actually MAPP gas, not Map-Pro. Also, sorry I put this in the wrong thread. Probably a blonde thing.
Old 2008-08-01, 6:03am
St.Onge Art Glass

Thanks for the thread info. Sorry about that!
Old 2008-08-01, 8:02am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbordocj View Post
The gas I purchased was actually MAPP gas, not Map-Pro. Also, sorry I put this in the wrong thread. Probably a blonde thing.

Not a problem.... If you don't read label real close they look the same....

And as you said, your source does have MAPP..... Maybe when all stock is sold out they will stock Map-Pro..

Dale

Old 2008-08-01, 8:39am
Covered in glitter

I use a HH with a bulk tank. Geeze...why do I feel like I'm at BTA (bulk tank annonymous)? LOL I check it frequently. I use it outside. And I'll keep doing it. I realize that there are folks out there that get their knicks in a twist about those of us who do it but other than you I've never heard of any other issues. I check things frequently. Would I use it inside? Not a chance in hell!

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2008-08-01, 10:37am

Deb, I came to the conclusion a long time ago that people are willing to assume different risks at different levels than perhaps you or I would do. I think the important thing is getting the information out there so that everyone can make an informed decision regarding the "risks" they are taking. I know of many, many people that use the bulk tanks and I only know of one other accident than this one, but that doesn't mean that everyone is willing to assume the risks and they should have the information so they can make their own decision.

My Blog
Old 2008-08-01, 11:27am
da General

Quote:
Deb, I came to the conclusion a long time ago that people are willing to assume different risks at different levels than perhaps you or I would do. I think the important thing is getting the information out there so that everyone can make an informed decision regarding the "risks" they are taking. I know of many, many people that use the bulk tanks and I only know of one other accident than this one, but that doesn't mean that everyone is willing to assume the risks and they should have the information so they can make their own decision.
I agree wholeheartedly, Pam . . . and highlighted the part I think is the most important. Just because I wouldn't take that risk doesn't mean that others shouldn't. . . but they should know that there are risks involved.

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-08-01, 1:28pm
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
I agree wholeheartedly, Pam . . . and highlighted the part I think is the most important. Just because I wouldn't take that risk doesn't mean that others shouldn't. . . but they should know that there are risks involved.
There's a huge difference between telling somebody that a practice is prohibited and telling them it's dangerous. Each person should be provided with the information and left to do their own risk assessment and to make their own decision as to whether or not they'll accept the risk.

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2008-08-01, 4:56pm
Sheryll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Brady View Post
There's a huge difference between telling somebody that a practice is prohibited and telling them it's dangerous. Each person should be provided with the information and left to do their own risk assessment and to make their own decision as to whether or not they'll accept the risk.
Lol, guess that's why we still have Darwin awards?

Old 2008-08-01, 6:39pm

I don't recall anyone using the word "prohibited", but perhaps I missed it.

My Blog
Old 2008-08-01, 8:05pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
I don't recall anyone using the word "prohibited", but perhaps I missed it.
Its one of those "quantum leaps" that happen in obscurity.... In fact its so obscure nobody knows it even happened...

Dale