Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2011-05-10, 12:14pm
He can do the origami

Thanks... I love Mai Tai....... thanks TAG!
Old 2011-05-10, 2:10pm

So pretty Otter! Great effect bringing it back to amber!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-05-10, 3:38pm
He can do the origami

Thanks, I was kind of laughing at myself. All this time I have always wanted the pinks and purples out of the AP family and here I go reversing such a beautiful color.
Old 2011-05-11, 4:10pm

LOL! that's because you're *special* Otter!
For what it's worth, Ladies and Gentlemen... your feedback has been noted, thankyouverymuch, and Mai Tai Pink is about to become TAG-033-38, Double Mai Tai will be TAG-033-39, and Mega Mai Tai is probably going to become regular line as well, and be TAG-033-40. Whoop!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2011-05-11, 6:00pm
Astro Cat

yay!!!
my Scorpion!
Old 2011-05-11, 11:46pm
He can do the origami

Thank you very much Jenny, glad you don't mind what I did to that beautiful color. Thank you for working hard to get these colors in your regular line.
Old 2011-05-12, 1:38am

Whooohoooo! Jenny that is great new's about the Mai Tai family.

Such a great colour, love it!!!!!!!!!!!

Monique
https://bodaciousglassbeads.wordpress.com
Old 2011-05-12, 4:03am

Wait a sec here! There are 3 Mai Tai? I only have 2. Mmmmm

Beautifil work Otter. I really like the contrast where you unstruck that part of your piece.

Last edited by Rose; 2011-05-12 at 7:02am.
Old 2011-05-12, 6:05am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose View Post
Wait a sec here! There are 3 Mai Tai? I only have 2. Mmmmm

Beautifil work Otter. I really like the contrast where you unstruck that part of your peice.
There are actually (at least) 4 that were experimental: Mai Tai Pink, Double Mai Tai, Mega Mai Tai and Mai Tai Green.

Mai Tai Green (I don't think) made it to regular production. It is olive green in color and can change to shades of peach and apricot with work and encasing. I just created a floral implosion with it. I'll have to see if I can get a pix and post it.

Old 2011-05-12, 6:11am
Pyromaniac

I'm still waiting for Anouk's Pictures...

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2011-05-12, 6:52am

I just made some encased beads with the regular Mai Tai and have them in the kiln at 1150 for 2 hrs. Can't wait to see what they look like. I'll post if they look good. Otherwise I'll just tell you about it, lol.

Laura, I'd love to see your implosion with the Green Mai Tai.

Hey Anouk, yoo hoo! We want pics!

Last edited by Rose; 2011-05-12 at 7:03am.
Old 2011-05-12, 5:27pm

you guy must have missed out on the mai tai 419 & 420
Old 2011-05-12, 6:52pm

Regular Mai Tai from Frantz.......Ok, after 1 1/2 hrs. at 1150 the encased beads came out like regular AP but with a tad of bluish haze. The unencased bead came out a pale coral (over white). A pendant I made that was also unencased came out a dirty pale coral (over white). Another unencased small bead over white was a dirty med. pink coral.

From what I read it depends on the batch?

Old 2011-05-13, 12:27am
He can do the origami

Rose, I am striking at 1150 for two hours. Try putting them back and cycling them again and see how they come out. Also, make sure you are setting them up with a good amount of heat and crash cooling them below glow before they go in the kiln.
Old 2011-05-13, 11:12am

So... in the interests of either clearing things up or adding to the confusion (?) here's the thing about the name Mai Tai.

About a year ago, we were playing with some amber-purple variations, as well as some a/p + striking Red Elvis combos. The ones with the Red Elvis in them were all called "Crimson Elvis EXP #____". All of the a/p exps were designated as "Mai Tai #____" and the batch number was there. That is what Todd means when he talks about Mai Tai 419 and Mai Tai 420. The name was a working title for all the a/p exps, until we settled on the variation we liked the best. That is Mai Tai 0706, which became Mai Tai Pink, and led us to the variations on that theme, aka Double Mai Tai and Mega Mai Tai.

The exp#0426 was very unusual, and it still carries the name Mai Tai Green; it was part of that initial run of a/p exps.

The Mai Tai #0419 was very nice, and very strong and very dark. It is now called Sasha's Oil Slick, because Sasha bought most of the batch -- at least he got what Todd did not get, lol! And I am now hearing that the Sasha's is giving people grief if they don't work it hot and keep the haze off it? So Todd, please tell the good people here what you have learned about working the 419, it will help them with the sample they have from the Mystery Box that was marked as Sasha's Oil Slick.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2011-05-13, 11:46am

Hmmm clear as mud, just kidding.

Old 2011-05-13, 5:32pm

Default Mai Tai Green

As promised. The pendant on the left uses Mai Tai Green for the petal pattern. The pattern came out yucky but the color is wonderful and natural.

The pendant on the right has some Mai Tai Green mixed and and I can't remember what all else. I really need to keep better notes at the torch.

Old 2011-05-13, 6:21pm

Otter, I think I'll send you some for you to try. PM me your addy if you are interested. I did get some AP color on some beads but it's so easy to just use AP. The unencased ones went in the kiln cold, were worked Hot like AP and look very pale. I'd just be curious to see what you get. I'm wondering if it's just a different batch.

Laura, very pretty greens. I like the one on the left best for the green. Thanks for sharing.

Old 2011-05-13, 7:21pm

Quote:
Otter, I think I'll send you some for you to try. PM me your addy if you are interested. I did get some AP color on some beads but it's so easy to just use AP. The unencased ones went in the kiln cold, were worked Hot like AP and look very pale. I'd just be curious to see what you get. I'm wondering if it's just a different batch.

Laura, very pretty greens. I like the one on the left best for the green. Thanks for sharing.

I got the pale colors myself until i upped the heat a bit. Still learning how far to push the colors.
Old 2011-05-13, 8:32pm

Quote:
Heee, hee. The green is Neptune Sparkle.

The Mai Tai Green goes peachy/apricot when encased. The flower petals are actually the Mai Tai Green. (unencased it is unripe olive green).

Old 2011-05-14, 4:57am

Laura, No Kidding! That's a very pretty peach, too.

Old 2011-05-14, 7:29pm
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter's Flame View Post
Rose, I kiln strike it at 1150, I have found that I get some amazing color at a two hour soak at 1150. one hour was just not getting the color I needed.... however one hour is generally good enough for Mega Mai Tai unless you want it so purple it is almost black!! lol that stuff is amazing. I will try and post a pic here for you later.
Hey Otter or anyone else who would like to answer my question:

What color is the Mai Tai when you actually put it in the kiln???

Thanks in advance.
Old 2011-05-15, 12:48am
He can do the origami

clear, completely transparent .... MAYBE a tinge of the slightest hint of yellow.... but basically it has no color when it goes in.
Old 2011-05-15, 4:26am
Angie09

Quote:
clear, completely transparent .... MAYBE a tinge of the slightest hint of yellow.... but basically it has no color when it goes in.
Hummm...is this how Lokis Lipstick works too?? I've never gotten anything from it.
Old 2011-05-15, 6:00am
Pyromaniac

You can get any thing from Amber to purple depending on the time you develop it in the flame and what you put it over.
You can flame strike it or not. Here's a couple of pics of Loki's.
First one is Loki's over clear, the second is solid Loki's with Elvis dots.

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2011-05-15, 6:03am
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginkgoglass View Post
You can get any thing from Amber to purple depending on the time you develop it in the flame and what you put it over.
You can flame strike it or not. Here's a couple of pics of Loki's.
First one is Loki's over clear, the second is solid Loki's with Elvis dots.
Hi Lana,

You got these colors in the flame??? The blue is to die for!!!
Old 2011-05-15, 6:06am
Pyromaniac

Yes, the blue one spent a lot of time in that white hot stage and then I cooled it and flame struck it. Loki's will develop more in the kiln just like any amber purple though. The thinner layer you have the less color you will get in my experience.

Mai Tai is gorgeous, I need to get some.

Last edited by ginkgoglass; 2011-05-15 at 6:08am.
Old 2011-05-15, 6:08am
Angie09

Thanks Lana ... those are just stunning!!
Old 2011-05-15, 6:10am
Pyromaniac

Quote:
I posted part of this in the boro S&T but wanted to post this one here as well:

I love what you did with the spot reheating!

Old 2011-05-15, 4:35pm
He can do the origami

Thank you