LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-03-08, 6:17pm

Smile Do you keep a bead notebook or journal?

Do you make notes to record what glass and method you use to make beads? If so, how do you do it? Do you take pictures and print them out or keep them digitally? I'd like to keep records but must admit it seems a bit overwhelming.
All comments appreciated.
Mary Di
Old 2011-03-08, 6:55pm
Triumphantly Knit!

Hi Mary. I've just gotten started and at first I was putting all my glass into the stashmaster which literally took days. I ordered several sample packs...days!
I'm not the record keeping kind...
I picked up a notebook and started to write down every bead, numbered, description and intended to take photos either polaroid or digital, but then never took the pictures.
I do keep the notebook, though, it gives the HH a chance to cool while I write.
I find it helpful, and other than whites, I kind of know what's what when I look at the book and the beads. I think as time goes by pictures will be very helpful. I was actually thinking that about an hour ago.
I was also thinking pics on index cards with description might work.
I'm really interested to hear what you ultimately come up with and what others find works for them.
Namaste
Rowyn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-03-08, 7:34pm

Namaste,
The problem I have is remembering what colors I used or how I got an effect. I seem to use lots of colors and techniques is each session.
. So I think for me it will have to be something with pictures. I always mean to take them but haven't figured out the best way to keep them as a resource. I think if I can find a system that isn't to cumbersome I could have more discipline re taking notes and pictures.
Old 2011-03-08, 7:37pm
geekitude on two wheels

I've found I do my best work when I pick a palette before I work and then pretty much stick with it (ie, nothing but that stuff on my work top) . If something really good happens, then it's pretty easy to figure from the rods on my table what happened & I can snap a pic with my phone & tag it with the colors i used.
Old 2011-03-08, 7:41pm

I use a 5 subject spiral and make notes as to the glass used and what technique I used. I also take pictures as they come out of the kiln. It helps doing so , cause as you go along and make more ,you sometimes forget what you did. the next day or even the next week.
Janet C
Old 2011-03-08, 7:49pm

Jen,

My head says yes, but often I sit down with a plan but end up doing something totally. Different. After you take the shots, do you then
Transfer them to your computer? And how do you organize them? By date? Type of glass? Color?
I guess I'm looking for organizational advice. It's great to have all this info, but how do you organize it in a retrievable format? Am I asking too much? Kalera and Haley got me thinking about this. Now I'm on a quest.
Old 2011-03-08, 7:52pm

Right Janet,
So do you print out the pictures and put them on the page with your notes? Does anyone keep notes and pics of what not to do?
Old 2011-03-08, 7:59pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

I snap pics and keep notes of the successful combos. For some reason when I create something hideous I have no problems remembering how I did that.

Old 2011-03-08, 8:13pm

Ah yes Astrid, I hear you!!!!
Old 2011-03-08, 8:22pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdimatteo View Post
Right Janet,
So do you print out the pictures and put them on the page with your notes? Does anyone keep notes and pics of what not to do?
Yes, I do print them out and place with my notes. I use tabs to place on the notebook section ,of the glass I use , then subtitle the techique. On the first page of the section I list what I have in the notebook. Kinda like a index of a book.
I also list what not to do with this technique or glass. I don't keep it in computer as I don't want it to be lost due to computer crash. And Alot of times I'll read over my notes as I watch tv, Especially when I've lost my Mojo. It helps to get me going again, and gets me thinking about new ideas.
Hope this helps.
Janet C.
Old 2011-03-08, 8:30pm
da General

I used to just take notes - then I started sketching next to my notes - but unfortunately after years of notes, I couldn't find anything easily. So I decided that I must have color photos with my notes. This has worked for me for a couple of years now:

• I take notes as I make each bead and put them in the kiln from left to right if they are very similar (e.g., doing my ginormous capped and cored beads with different silver glass and murrinis)

• When I take the beads out of the kiln, I line them up left to right on a white towel (still on their mandrels) and snap a quick pic with my iPhone

• After I clean the beads, I sketch each bead (except for the fuglies) and transcribe the original notes into my official notebook.

• After I have a chance to photograph the beads, I print them out like a contact sheet on a full piece of sticky-back paper. Then I cut each picture out and adhere it to its corresponding space in the note book.

• I organize the images on my computer by week since I only torch on the weekends. Some months it's only by the month. I can easily find the electronic images for I have the printed pictures in my notebooks!

|
|
|
|
Old 2011-03-08, 8:50pm

Thank you Janet and Haley. Thanks for the step by step Haley. That really helps. I Like that method as sometimes I can't remember the glass I used even the next day. I tend to experiment a lot. Don't know why I never thought of using my iPhone for quick shots. Also like the idea of contact photos. V good. So now to start a new era of organization. I like the idea of an index too so I can find info fast.
Thank you both.
Old 2011-03-08, 10:00pm
addicted to the flame

Just for color-mixing compatibility. It's hard to remember which colors don't play well together for blending. Hate melting two colors together, say, pink and orange, and getting battleship grey.
Old 2011-03-08, 10:42pm
Debra Clutter

Mary I used to write in my note book a couple of years ago. I think I have gotten lazy! I would write the bead process and glass down along with the date. Then I would take pictures the next day and add it to Microsoft one note. It was interesting to see the progress and to have something to use to duplicated a bead. I think I stopped after getting my Mac because Microsoft doesn't make one note for Mac. I actually think it helped my creativity.

It also helps you learn what works and what doesn't. I still have notebooks at my bench for each COE I use. I took them out the other day and pondered why I don't take notes any more. I did find another program that is similar for my Mac so I think I will start again.

If you are interested un in my lamp work dairy check it out here:

http://www.cluttercreations.com/index.php?p=1_13_My-Lampwork-Diary

#C-108
Art is the desire of a man to express himself, to record the reactions of his personality to the world he lives in. -Amy Lowell-

Old 2011-03-08, 11:01pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
I used to just take notes - then I started sketching next to my notes - but unfortunately after years of notes, I couldn't find anything easily. So I decided that I must have color photos with my notes. This has worked for me for a couple of years now:

• I take notes as I make each bead and put them in the kiln from left to right if they are very similar (e.g., doing my ginormous capped and cored beads with different silver glass and murrinis)

• When I take the beads out of the kiln, I line them up left to right on a white towel (still on their mandrels) and snap a quick pic with my iPhone

• After I clean the beads, I sketch each bead (except for the fuglies) and transcribe the original notes into my official notebook.

• After I have a chance to photograph the beads, I print them out like a contact sheet on a full piece of sticky-back paper. Then I cut each picture out and adhere it to its corresponding space in the note book.

• I organize the images on my computer by week since I only torch on the weekends. Some months it's only by the month. I can easily find the electronic images for I have the printed pictures in my notebooks!
Hayley... I cannot believe that you only torch once a month sometimes!! there may be hope for me someday.

Old 2011-03-09, 4:27am

I use a page-a-day diary to note down what glass is in each bead and how I made it. Then once a week or so I photograph my beads and save the files with the date the bead was made in the name. They're stored on flickr as well as my blog's media files, so even if my hard disc dies they'll stick around. I'll probably put the original files on CD as well - I've got an 8GB card in my camera so they're actually still all on there too!

|
|
|
|
Old 2011-03-09, 5:17am

Most times I can tell by looking at the beads what I did. But lately I have been trying to do new things so I am thinking I need some kind of "recipe collection". So I was thinking about organizing on recipe cards ... small pic with "recipe" of how I did it and then put in sections by style/color.

Only problem is ... time is so tight now I am wondering if I'll be able to keep it up ... sigh

Cheryl

Old 2011-03-09, 8:13am
Glass-aholic

I take notes on twisties and reactions. I usually take sticky notes at work, of things to try and doodles!!! I just throw them into a box to try" one day. But after a while I actually put them in a scrap book (i just glued, stapled, taped, etc). I used a drawing pad, and filled the pages with inspirational clippings from magazines, and print outs and doodled notes, and drawings. It is more helpful than not.
I do have a separate note book just for twisties though! I SHOULd get some clippings of twisties and put them in a binder with my color sample beads! (its on my list ok! lol)
Those baseball card holder slots work great! You can tape up the top to Keep them from going anywhere, and its pretty easy to get it open again. Or use glue dots. They are cheap too! Then I just put a business size card with the color combo on it, notes on use, reactions, or a drawing of how it was layered or constructed, and slip it into the slot. I can add a bead into the slot if I have one as well.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2011-03-09, 9:14am
Peerless Thread Killer

After I made a pair of beads that I couldn't duplicate because I couldn't remember exactly how I did them, now I try to make notes before I forget. (I finally was able to duplicate them, but it took many trial and error beads).
I also keep a "bead recipe" spiral notebook. It really helps my CRS!

Old 2011-03-09, 10:20am
geekitude on two wheels

I have to admit I'm not that organized, I don't have that many pics and they are kind of all over - some on my phone that haven't transfered to puter yet, some on computer. All are organized by date, less as a choice and more because the file that they get downloaded to is the date by default and it's not so hard to find stuff that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdimatteo View Post
Jen,

My head says yes, but often I sit down with a plan but end up doing something totally. Different. After you take the shots, do you then
Transfer them to your computer? And how do you organize them? By date? Type of glass? Color?
I guess I'm looking for organizational advice. It's great to have all this info, but how do you organize it in a retrievable format? Am I asking too much? Kalera and Haley got me thinking about this. Now I'm on a quest.
Old 2011-03-09, 10:34am

I keep a three ring binder in the studio thats filled with pictures, tutorials, and ideas that I came up with in various other places at various other times and then if I like what I've done or think I've come up with a new technique, i'll write it down after i put the bead in the kiln. I take a lot of pictures and put them up on facebook, so maybe I should make it a point to copy my notes and make a document with the notes and pictures.
Old 2011-03-09, 11:31am
Sheila Davis Designs

I keep a journal style calender in my studio,jot down the recipes I want to remember on that day.I photograph most of my beads anyway so I have a record on my computer of the picture and within a day or so that I made the bead.When I put them up for sale,I have another notebook that I give each bead or set a number,date and the price with the number of beads in the set.That way when I do a trunk show I can give the beads the same number that's in the notebook.Does that make any sense?

Old 2011-03-09, 11:51am
Mary Lockwood

I have two different types of notebooks.

One is a binder where I keep information and educational tips/tutorials and instruction from all over the internet and from friends. These are littered with my own personal notes, sketches and varied results or improvements on the techniques. Sometimes I'll print a picture of a bead I've made onto the sticky sheets I use to print shipping labels, cut it out and stick it to the corresponding page in my binder.

On a more personal level, I keep a glass diary. This one is all me. From little snippets of ideas that I didn't want to forget, to hastily drawn sketches and on to full blown experiments it is all in there.

I date the page because I don't write in it every day. One could argue that what is wrong with my diary is that it isn't organized into sections so if I want to find something from my past I have to go through and dig for it. But I don't have a problem with that. It is almost like a train of thought in a book. If I'm losing inspiration sometimes I'll go back through my glass diary and some little scribble in a margin that I don't even remember making can give birth to a whole string of ideas.

There is a handmade book seller on etsy that I purchase my glass diaries from. http://www.etsy.com/shop/HighlandBooks When she lists the books covered with wool tartans those are the ones I buy.

~~Mary

Old 2011-03-09, 12:08pm
Always Improving

I have a small computer in the studio and do a "Journal" entry for each bead that I make.

I also use Jelwlery designed Pro for inventory and finished piece costing, pictures etc.

Mike...
Old 2011-03-09, 8:15pm

Wow. Thanks everyone. There are a lot of good ideas here. So far I've kept a notebook with clippings and notes on bead combos and glass tips but I've never been happy with the organization. I think the ideas listed here are a big help. Pictures are definitely called for and receipes are great too as I have the memory of a
gnat. Time.....it all comes down to time doesn't it? And yet if we can't remember how we made the successful beads how can we repeat them?

Thanks again everyone. I appreciate each person taking the time to help.
Moth, I love the handmade books....well all books really....but they really make younwant to write in them.

Mary di
Old 2011-03-09, 8:54pm
Creative Spirit

Personally I have written down EVERY bead I have EVER made in 9 years! I like keeping track of every color combo, shape, size etc. I must admit it has helped when I have had "Brain farts" and don't know my @##$ from a hole in the ground! LOL which happens way to much!!

Peace Wendy
Old 2011-03-09, 9:11pm

Debra - I checked out your diary in OneNote. AMAZING !!! I've never used it but I will now. Thank you for sharing.

"Whether you believe that you can or believe that you can't, you're probably right." Henry Ford
Old 2011-03-10, 4:47am

I keep an Excel spreadsheet with pictures and the recipe. This is only for beads that I want to remake. It's been invaluable.
Old 2011-03-10, 7:04am
one day at a time

I have never written anything down in a journal or notebook, and not in all the 9 years I've been into lampworking. But if I did do notes, it may have been on an empty envelope or scrap paper. I have been making the same beads for a long time so it's all in my head. Whenever I discover something new I will repeat it again a few times so after that, I won't forget them either. My journal is my brain. lol

Of course, my beads are just round and most are not complicated. But I do make some that are quite difficult, even though I've made them a hundred times before.
Old 2011-03-18, 1:22pm
Dark Flower Bead Art

Mary,
I think that it is important to know what works for you, but the important thing as we think about stepping up our skills and our potential as bead artists in the hopes of making money, it is essential to keep notes. I find that for me personally i do not like working FROM a sketch or notes. I'm trying to be very intuative so my style is to pick glass i like and keep it near by, make the bead, get it in the kiln THEN before i pick up a next bead i write down all the glass I've used ESPECIALLY the clear. i use a lot of different clears and i find my silver glasses play very differently. i do not tend to sketch the beads, i just write down the glass. I generally can look at a bead and then go back in my notes to match it to the "recipe. If the bead is phenominal or something then i take a picture. i make a LOT of ugly beads that aren't worth the careful chronicalling others use. The most important thing is to find a WAY to keep records that works for YOUR style. I could not pause in between changing glass to write things down during a single bead...but i DO clean after each bead, remove and clear off the rod rest which i use as my "working" area, and write it down. I actually use this same technique when i'm baking or cooking too. it just works for my style. I think you will find out what works, but i am confident because of the direction you are heading with your skills and your business you (and me too) should keep notes. You're most likely going to get repeat customers or some one who says "can you make something like this bigger" and you want to be able to do that, right? I like a 3X5 spiral bound by the kiln for my occasional bouts of divine inspiration. good luck
Cara

[color="DarkOrchid"]** Check out my Etsy site
[/COLOR
Handmade at amazon