Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2006-03-17, 10:03pm
Redheaded Thread Killer

Default Any Video Camera experts out there?

We're looking at getting a handheld video camera and we have no idea how to compare and what to compare, and what we should care about comparing. This would be for home/vacation use - not beads.

The mini-dvd looks nice, but then you have to buy the mini dvds. The built in hard drive looks nice (because you don't have to buy anything) but how many times can you write/rewrite to it?

On my digital camera, I wanted the optical zoom to be high (since I'd rather not have pixelated images by using the digital zoom too much). Would this theory also apply to video cameras?

How about battery life? Lens quality? Alllll that stuff!

Price is of course, somewhat important. We're looking at putting this on our registry (wedding) and hoping for it as a gift, but if we don't get it as a gift we plan on buying one to have for our trip to Tahiti (honeymoon).

Suggestions, thoughts, any advice would be appreciated.

=)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Currently... torch is cold. Not sure when I'll be making glass again. Hothead and Lynx user.
Nothing on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-03-20, 6:34am
ManBearPig

I personally prefer the ones with the mini hard drive. I think you can write to them like 10,000 times safely. A lot of them have ways to connect external hard drives as well.

Zoom works the same on still cameras and film. You want the highest optical zoom you can get. But, you don't notice the pixelation on the digital zoom as much with video as you do with photos.

Battery life is hard to judge. The batteries that come with most cameras aren't much to brag about. The main thing to remember is to always discharge the battery completely before you recharge it.

Old 2006-03-25, 9:03pm
Redheaded Thread Killer

Thanks Chad - do you have (or know of) a couple of recommendations for models/brands?

=)

Currently... torch is cold. Not sure when I'll be making glass again. Hothead and Lynx user.
Nothing on
Old 2006-03-26, 11:40am
Fancy Mammal

A good rule of thumb for battery life is to take what the manufacturer claims, cut it half... for a start.

Another thought that was important for me was size factor. I have small hands, and the majority of the cameras on the market are just too big for me, like a kid using adult stuff. Some of the really small cameras are still too big, since they are "high". I almost sprain my thumb to hold on and push the start button at once.

If you're up for it you could look at http://www.steves-digicams.com/ It might make things worse, but...
Old 2006-04-07, 10:13am

Hi,

It my experince there is only one choice of comsumer grade digital video camera to purchase. That would be the Panasonic PV-GS400. "IF" you can still get it. The rest dont come close.

Good Luck

Mike
Old 2006-04-08, 10:41am

Mike,
You might check the Consumer Report Magazine, or their website. I check them before I buy on anything. I want the best for my money.
Hope this helps.
Janet