LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2015-03-17, 9:39am

This is what the surface looks like on glass that has been stored in a moist environment for a long time. The flux leaches out (dealkylation) and this surface turns into a frosty looking haze of tiny bubbles as soon as you approach the flame.

Robert
Old 2015-03-17, 9:54am
I'm meeeeelting

Distilled white vinegar works. It takes a lot longer than pickle, because it's a much weaker acid, though. I used to use it until Larry Scott convinced me to try pickle. I heat water in my teapot and then pour it into a big pyrex and add the pickle and glass.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2015-03-17, 12:41pm

The are also tiny bits of metal embedded in the surface layer, usually in scratches, and these will produce bubbles. The acid dissolves these out, the stronger acid (H2SO4) is more effective.

Robert
Old 2017-02-28, 11:38pm
Naysayer

Boosting this thread, I was just in a bind and had to use some old clear, it fizzed and turned white instantly. I could see scratches all the way down most rods. I had cleaned them before using, but just by wiping down as usual. So, I pickled it using the vinegar and salt mentioned in this thread, no kidding, clearer than anything I've ever used! The rods and the beads after, there were some bubbles but whoa

Figured someone new or watching their budget may want to try pickling some cheaper clear, some was effetre 004, just regular clear, some CIM clear.

I normally use DH clears, someone in this thread mentioned not too, I guess bad reaction? They don't say why.

Last edited by Ravenesque; 2017-02-28 at 11:40pm.
Old 2017-03-01, 7:14am
Loving learning

I can't remember for sure, but I think it was Zephyr that someone pickled and it etched the rods. You could always put a short in the pickle and test it.
Old 2017-03-02, 2:23pm
Naysayer

I think i might just for science lol, it doesn't need it anyways though!
Old 2017-03-15, 7:52am
Bohemian Bead Peddler

I use an electric roaster (which is long enough for the standard rods). Fill it with vinegar and add salt until the vinegar won't hold anymore and it stops dissolving. Heat it up, put in the rods, let them cook for about an hour. Take them out and rinse with clear water. The difference is AMAZING! I'm preparing to pickle everything once the snow melts and I have access to my studio again. Definitely worth the work. I've had lbs. of crappy clear for years that came out just as good as Zephyr. I was skeptical, super skeptical, but it does work excellently. I like that I can pour it down the drain when it cools.

Old 2017-03-15, 9:33pm
Naysayer

I have to say it really is almost as nice as Zephyr And I thought I wouldn't use anything but! I say almost just because I don't have to pickle zephyr.
I've now done both the salt/vinegar and the ph down and same results.

I can still see scratches down the rods, but it's just not affecting it now.
Old 2017-04-22, 3:57pm

I'm real late to this party but I pickled every one of my rods a couple of years ago as per Pat F's instructions. Yes. ALL of them. It took several days but it was well worth it.