Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room > Free Boro Tutorials

Old 2010-04-21, 12:34am
Glassy Broad :-)

Oh Lana, thanks so much!!!
As a newbie, some recipes are just what the teacher ordered
Copied it, and need to print it out and take it to the studio with me!!!
Thank you again for sharing!!!!!
Nita

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Missing my Mini cc & two oxy cons!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The difference between Try, and Triumph, is a little Umph!
Old 2010-09-20, 5:13am

Just found this thread (with a little help ) and it's great for us new boro users. Thanks so much for posting all these recipes! Now off to order glass!

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell
Old 2010-09-29, 9:52am

Brilliant information - anyone got any good x frit over x combinations please?

Old 2010-09-29, 10:42am
Frit frit and more frit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by effemess View Post
Brilliant information - anyone got any good x frit over x combinations please?
Sweety, you don't need any help - your beads are gorgeous!
Old 2010-10-23, 8:00am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary K View Post

These are always a favorite for me. This is Green exotic frit over Ruby Strike 4. Just remember that you can't use Schott to encase, you will not get the reactions shown here. ( why I do not know ) I always use simax clear, for these.

Finally, I have both Ruby Strike 4 and Green Exotic frit - you have no idea how long I have been drooling over these beads.... oh yes, and Simax clear.. woo hoo (Bet I don't get anywhere near the same colours )

Old 2010-10-24, 7:19am

Well, I was right Mine look nothing like these... they do have the pale creamy outlines, and then the muddy green bit but no inside purpley specky bit. so what did I do wrong there then? lol

Old 2010-10-26, 10:09pm
Surrounded by Trouble

Quote:
Well, I was right Mine look nothing like these... they do have the pale creamy outlines, and then the muddy green bit but no inside purpley specky bit. so what did I do wrong there then? lol
Just a guess, but I would say the beads pictured used large GE and very very tiny bit of it, as GE likes to over power. Of course the answer is also turn your oxygen way up.

Did you use fine or small size frit?

No, I have not tried the combo.

Old 2010-10-27, 2:36am

I used small size GE frit...I don't have powder so it couldn't be that

Old 2010-11-17, 10:35pm
Metallic Flame Studios

Omg woman, I think I love u! I needed a pink for a new idea and found it here. More later or in STL if u r there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginkgoglass View Post
Updated through September 2010

(BTW if anyone wants to contribute a color combo just Pm me and I'll add it. Thanks!)

I've been compiling a list of things you can do with boro by mixing and layering color. Some of these are from the Melting Pot and some from LE and my own color experiments.

If you have some cool color mixing tips or combos that you want to share please post them here. I will keep updating the original thread.

Here they are:

Color Mixes to try:
1. Pastels under striking colors ie. magic mirror, purple thunder, amber purple or transparents over dark striking colors.
2. Cobalt blue and borostix blush make a sweet purple, play with the ratio more blush then cobalt.
3. Northstar exotics encased with northstar yellow.
4. Parramore white fumed with gold or silver encased with clear.
5. Blue moon mixed with clear.

6. blue over white, red over white, experimental green over a bunch of colors. fume colors then coat with clear.
3. Mix Elvis & Momka citrus Roll gather in chunky frit; either Momka silver beach or GA silver. The dots of frit leave a neat scaley organic kind of effect, particularly effective against the citrus.
8. Mix Blue and Yellow for a green in shades from bright lime parrot green (chartreuse kinda with more brilliance) all the way to deep dark forrest green . Fully mix , more blue =darker shade more yellow=lighter shade .
9. Mix silver colors with pretty much anything.
Triple Passion, Silver Strike 5 or whatever + Green Sparkle.
Any silver color with a ruby or opaque red is interesting.
10. Any transparent color + a white

11. Tan brown from Momka Magic Mirror + Star White. Totally 70s-ed out.
12. Purple thunder on top of the Light Blue Amber Purple and flame strike .... the key is putting the top on very light and not heavy, kinda like a thin encasement and this makes a light lavender color.
13. Momka's Crystal Blue mixed with NS Paris Green 6, will make a transparent aqua green.
14. silver seaweed fumed with clear dot overlay, you will get some nice greens and purples.
15. Brilliant blue over white gives a beautiful blue for backgrounds.

16. Warm yellow, butterscotch or carmel over black makes vibrant blue-greens.
17. NS Ruby K sandwiched in between NS yellow. It can get anything from a pink flesh tones colors to a deep purple
18. GA indigo luster mixed with solara
19. Momka Charles Brown over white, then striped with GA Silver Sands, or Momka Almond Nugget. You get a really nice coffee/cream swirl with this. Don't encase though or you will end up with more green tints.
20. NS Irrid mixed with GA Disco Sparkle results in something a lot like Silver Unobtainium

21. clear tubing encased with moss, then a layer of dark cobalt or brilliant blue encasing the moss, pull that down.
Clear tubing, then a layer of periwinkle covering the entire tube. then a coat of dark cobalt encasing the periwinkle. Pull that down and use to how you see fit. = lapis blue tubing.
22. Borostix 14 ~ Spring Purple cased with NS 113 ~ Turbo Amethyst.
23. Mix up real good equal amounts of Northstar rootbeer and Northstar green exotic then if you want coat with a thin layer of clear, twist a bit then pull down to a usable size.
24. Green exotic frit over Ruby Strike 4. Use simax clear encasement for some cool reactions.
25. Galactic Dragon Fire, Silvered Amy and White

26. Momka's American Beauty with Northstar Butterscotch frit over it creates magenta.
27. English Ivy over OG Moss... Large clear frit or dots... cook it HOT and pour the oxygen... so beautiful... so sparkle-icious...
28. Two Recipes for Deep purple: this can be the holy grail of boro colors because it's totally missing from the spectrum.
Clear core (important) 19mm, thin layer of amazon bronze then ns extra lt yellow on top.
OR 15 mm clear rod base, 3 stripes of amazon bronze to every 1 thick stripe of caramel.
Get it really hot and repull down to thin rod size. strike really hard (like 1150 for 45 mins)
29. NS-08 Dark Ruby (or Dark Elvis) encased with NS-09 Yellow (or Yellow Elvis) give great purples.
30. Triple passion or warm yellow over black is extremely vibrant.

31. borostix blush mixed with cobalt 4 (play with the ratio) best purple ever
32. China ruby tube, wrap and rake w/ clear, use as many different flame atmospheres as you can and get all the possible clearish tones, purple to brown to brick red to ruby
33. Double Amber Purple, NS yellow, some garlic and a pinch of rosemary. Doesn't taste all that great but has a wonderfully crunchy texture. Great over rice.
34. NS Egyptian White sand coiled or core, with a medium to thin coating of NS yellow, flame strike gradient and then kiln strike at 1150 for 30, you get a cosmic cloud of purples and oranges.

Colors for Outlines:
1. Ruby over green exotic, gives a nice ivory outline.
2. Green amber purple with orange dots, you get light blue and rose with an ivory outline.
3. base of white, encased with green exotic, with dots of extra light yellow, you get a light blue outline.
4. DAP over Pomegranate.
5. Clear over any silver color
6. Silver Strike over any color
7. if you put Mystery Aventurine over some dark transparent colors, you get a cool blue haze around it

Colors for Imposions:
1. A thin coat of an opaque color like star white, bubble gum or periwinkle over a thicker core of another opaque color. when the stringers implode the thin outer coat stretches to make a frosty looking surface.
2. Star White and coat it in a thin coat of Onyx or Black Violet. It will give you a white petal with dark edges.
3. Thin layer of black over full sized rod of exotic citrus, pulled into stringer is good for implosion flower petals.
4. Good Colors for implosions are Amazon Night, Blue Moon, Twilight Chameleon, Rust, Green Envy, Aurora, Dark Multi, and Purple Luster. Momka's Blue Lightning or Antique Beauty gives a really nice light blue. Caramel gets a faint blue outline around it's edges when used for petals. Exotic Citrus Grapefruit gives a nice pink petals and Gypsy Queen gives nice multi colored darker petals.
5. Triple passion then a layer of amazon bronze, implode, spin, strike. Its hot orange/yellow/red/purple with a ghost of blue.
6. For an awesome red in implosions try encasing cadmiums like goldenrod or cherry with elvis ruby then pulling into stringer.
7. Line of tag kiwi backed (offset) with any black, i use jet. compress or implode, the kiwi will overlap the black and will result in a really nice flower petal full of organic lines and multiple colours.

One thing worth noting is that different brands of clear give different results. Pyrex and Kimble will make colors with a lot of silver get the halos around the edges. Simax won't do that. Although a lot of striking colors will retain their color better in Simax than other glass.

Colors for Sparkle:
1. Mix Dark cobalt or black elvis (for red) in unobtanium and then coat that in clear before pullingl. the unob color fades enough that you are left with the sparkle but not too much of the original color.
2. Millenium moss and/or crystal bliss mixed with any color adds great sparkle.
3. Encasing Unobtainium in something like Amber, Blue Moon, Paris Green, or something like that. Gives a really nice sparkle effect.
4. Mix Loch Ness with the amber purples. Just a little of the LN goes a long way... but it adds a very nice shimmer to the AP and it still strikes out nicely.
5. Unobtainium encased with Chinese Amber. Makes a forest green sparkle color that can be encased with no problem.
6. Disco/steel wool mixed with parramore white. Crazy sparkle with a butter texture.

Pink:
1. If you layer NS yellow or extra light yellow or GA Warm Yellow over pretty much any shade of transparent red or orange, you will end up with varying shades of fuchsia pink.
2. warm yellow over ruby makes a purple pink that strikes on the inside of glass.
3. Layer Ruby or Elvis on top of clear and then using light yellow on top and pulling that out and using that on top of clear and encasing that in clear.
4. 10mm clear with a layer of Elvis or GA cherywood strike and then NS Extra light yellow for fuschia pink
5. NS orange cased with NS ex. light yellow = nice pink pink
6. GA carmel Luster cased with NS ex. light yellow = pink with more variations, some greens and yellows mixed in
7. Amber purple over egyptian white sands.
8. Coral Blush, try thinning in down by covering a rod of clear with it and then cover that with GA warm yellow.
9. elvis yellow over elvis red.
10. hand mix transparent pink by northstar or (eribium pink by alchemy) and northstar star white.

Purple:
1. Dark amethyst over spring purple
2. Turbo cobalt over BoroStix pink.
3. Cobalt blue and borostix blush make a sweet purple, play with the ratio more blush then cobalt.
4. Two Recipes for Deep purple: this can be the holy grail of boro colors because it's totally missing from the spectrum.
Clear core (important) 19mm, thin layer of amazon bronze then ns extra lt yellow on top.
OR 15 mm clear rod base, 3 stripes of amazon bronze to every 1 thick stripe of caramel.

I love this quote from SuzyQ: "I have a feeling I need to just put stuff on top of more stuff and see what I get."

Kickin' it on a Knight, a Betta, a 'Cuda, and a SmithLittle with 3 Oxycons, Playing with Fire Since February 2004
Check out our new journey into Metal (yes, including tools) and glass...

Old 2010-11-20, 11:23pm
Flamewoman

Default This is how I do it.

Quote:
I used the small size frit for these beads. some have more frit than others.
When you roll your bead in the frit heat it up until it is melted in well. Usually the time it takes to get the clear rod hot is enough, but the bead needs to cool slightly before you encase it. Get it good and hot after you encase it and then let the bead cool untill all the glow is gone. I have a large clock with a second hand in my studio that faces me, I check the clock and make sure that I cool the bead at least a whole minute, or little more if it's big.
Then I flame strike it lightly in the flame, way out away from the torch.
Then into the kiln.
I have found that some batches of ruby strike 4 seem to work better than others. Some times I can get a similar effect with momka's violet hue.
Boro is so confounding. Just when I get a recipe that I love, the next batch does not work the same.
If you want to test that you are heating and cooling the way you need to,
try making a bead with only the ruby 4, no frit, just clear. If you can't get it to go red or coral you will not get the effect that I do.
Hope this helps and let me know if it does. pictures?
Oh and you could try some pyrex clear, if you have some.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!

Last edited by Mary K; 2010-11-20 at 11:26pm.
Old 2010-11-21, 5:31am

Thanks for getting back to me Mary- I'll try again with all your excellent tips.. more than likely in my case it's just 'user error'

Old 2011-01-05, 7:14am
Superkitty

Bumping because this is such a great thread. Hoping people have more to add.
Old 2011-01-13, 12:01pm

Default Thanks

Thanks to everyone who's contributed to this - it's wonderful

[/url][/url]
Old 2011-01-13, 12:38pm
aka Spawn Of Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by patezd View Post
... And silly me, I kept reading "over" to mean "encase" when folks talked about using one color over another.......but thankfully after only a couple of weeks, I realized what it really meant!
Well, what *does* it really mean? Could someone help out a Boro dolt? I'm not getting what over means if it is not like encasing. I don't even know how to word my confusion... Isn't it "use a color and stripe color over it"?

Oh! I should say thank you for all of these color suggestions!

--
--
--

Old 2011-01-14, 5:22am
Pyromaniac

I think it does mean to encase most of the time.

Some over the descriptions could be for frit or dots or lines though, such as one color frit over another color or dots of one color on top of another.

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2011-01-14, 9:27am
aka Spawn Of Flame

Thank you! That is what I thought.

I was confused about being confused, I guess. I read that and thought I was missing the secret or something.

--
--
--

Old 2011-01-15, 7:44am
Newb boro fanatic

I guess it's kinda already there as 'Colors for Sparkle 3. Encasing Unobtainium in something like Amber, Blue Moon, Paris Green, or something like that. Gives a really nice sparkle effect'
...but I'm amazed at what GA Spring Luster over Unobtainium then encased in clear does... It's a smoky green from the encased Spring Luster, but the sparkle form the Unobtainium goes gold/orange/salmon! I tried with GA Dragon's Eye too but the sparkle just went greenish.
It's also nice unencased of course, with a not too thick layer of the Spring Luster, so you can see the sparkle under the surface...

Old 2011-01-15, 9:07am
Pyromaniac

Updated for some new stuff.
Thanks for your contributions!
Lana

Old 2011-01-19, 12:39pm

I thought I would add a photo of what the different clears can do, made during the same session, only difference is the type of clear glass. Silver strike 5 with aquatic carnival frit.
Attached Images

Old 2011-01-19, 1:19pm
Pyromaniac

Excellent post LLuvia!
Would love to see Pyrex and the others as well.

Old 2011-01-19, 7:56pm

Thanks for sharing I have never seen the difference before.

Old 2011-01-20, 2:10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginkgoglass View Post
Excellent post LLuvia!
Would love to see Pyrex and the others as well.
pyrex works pretty much just like the kimax.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2011-02-03, 6:43am
Pyromaniac

Good because i just ordered some Pyrex.

Thread is updated through January 2011.
If I missed anything, let me know.

Old 2011-02-09, 5:17pm
Pyromaniac

Updated February 9, 2011.

Old 2011-03-01, 8:25am
Pyromaniac

I was searching for information on NS Sublime and found this amazing gallery of LLuvia's on glassartists.org.
She has shared so many color combinations for beads.
What a great resource and how generous!

http://www.GlassArtists.org/Gal7199_..._Bead_Sets.asp

Old 2011-03-01, 8:39am
Angie09

OMG ... what a terrific resource!!! Thank you so much for sharing this!!!!
Old 2011-03-01, 8:46am

Ohhhh thank you for finding and sharing this Lana.... this is just brilliant

Old 2011-03-01, 8:53am
Newb boro fanatic

Awesome link! Though now I want to go buy copious amounts of frit... I already buy too much rod colour! lol

Old 2011-03-04, 7:36am

Thanks for everyones input, i have been trying more layered colors and will share my results once there more consistent.
Old 2011-03-04, 7:38am
put a bird on it

That is wonderful - thanks, Lluvia!