LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Old 2007-11-12, 8:43pm
passionate about pets

Unhappy feathered beads......?

Does anyone have a tutorial on how to do a Feathered bead? I am new and trying to learn and practice a few things and I saw a bead called Feathered and it looked really nice, and i want to learn how to make one.

I hope someone can help......and show some pics too!!!!

Thanks a bunch

*StOrM*

Nortel Minor- Natural gas & Oxycon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-11-12, 9:02pm
Life is change. Love it

Storm, I'm not sure what you mean, can you post a picture? If you mean this type, it's very easy, do a double line of dots and rake them using either a stringer or a raking pick. This effect was helped in these beads by using a reactive stringer for the dots and laying them on a foil wrapped bead

This bead design can be made into a peacock feather by adding a large multilayered dot to the top. The design is made by laying on several stringers then raking with a tool

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-11-12, 9:51pm
passionate about pets

ok i saw one on this web site . I will try to find the picture again.

*StOrM*

Old 2007-11-12, 10:08pm
passionate about pets

I found it .....the bead was made by bubbyanne.....and i have the picture....

I am just curious on how this was made....maybe i should ask her....lol
Attached Images

*StOrM*

Old 2007-11-12, 10:17pm
passionate about pets

Carolyn,

your second bead i really like.......i am having problems with raking the glass it seems i pull to hard and crack my bead release.....i am going to take a guess and say my bead isn't hot enough but how do you rake a molded bead without heating it up too much?

*StOrM*

Old 2007-11-13, 12:09am
Just me

Hi Storm,
This was a bead Suzanne told me about. (thanks again Suzanne! )
It started as an encased stripe bead but it got away from me during the final melt down and lost the stripe definition. So I just super heated it until it began to gravity swirl, took it out of the flame and then rounded it back up.

I hope I made sense with my description, if not I'll try again with a more detailed step by step tomorrow.

ETA-Gorgeous beads Carolyn!

Last edited by Bubbyanne; 2007-11-13 at 12:18am.
Old 2007-11-13, 2:46pm
passionate about pets

so if i get it right....you would start with a clear base....put your dots on it and almost melt them in......encase and then let it drip ....but not off the mandrel ......then fix it by making it round again.......if i am wrong let me know .....

thanks again bubby!

*StOrM*

Old 2007-11-13, 3:28pm
birdergirl ~o~

Ohhh NICE Carolyn!!!

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2007-11-13, 3:58pm
Just me

You got it mostly right.
That thread you found my beads in has the stripe tutorial written out in great detail by taramag which was the beginning of how I made this bead but I'll give you a brief rundown again.
Here's the thread again, the first post has the tutorial. http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=68025

You start out with a really really small donut or disc bead (transparents or clear work best because they're stiffer than pastels), apply your dots (pastels are best because they're softer and will spread), melt them down slowly and almost completely while keeping your base bead as cool as possible.

Wrap on a couple layers of clear covering your dots and add a turtle neck of clear to the right and left side of your bead (touching only the clear not the base). Heat each side, one at a time, to melt in your turtle neck. Keep your base bead cool though.

Then melt down your clear slowly only barely hitting the clear with your flame while keeping your base cool. Your dots should pull into stripes. This is the step where my stripe beads turn into feather beads because I got the base too hot and my stripes started moving on me. At that point is where I super heat the bead and let gravity pull my stripes into the feathers and then take it out of the flame to cool and round it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StOrM View Post
so if i get it right....you would start with a clear base....put your dots on it and almost melt them in......encase and then let it drip ....but not off the mandrel ......then fix it by making it round again.......if i am wrong let me know .....

thanks again bubby!

Last edited by Bubbyanne; 2007-11-13 at 4:01pm.
Old 2007-11-13, 8:31pm

Carolyn,
What's kind of blue glass you used on the second bead? It's so pretty, just like boro.
Please tell. Thanks.
Old 2007-11-13, 8:54pm
passionate about pets

Thanks a bunch bubby........i will try it........i will post the ones i made today, I made them the way i explained the first time.....but now i know how you did it i will try that way also.

practice practice practice.....

*StOrM*

Old 2007-11-14, 4:43am
She's Back & Burnin'

Storm,

I tend to work my beads really hot. Before I rake, I let the bead cool by rotating it 2 or 3 times outside the flame.

To do Bubbyanne's beads, you need to remember to keep only the outside of the bead brushing the flame. Hint: watch it from both sides.

Hope this helps.

Sara

Old 2007-11-14, 6:20am
Life is change. Love it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chau Nguyen T View Post
Carolyn,
What's kind of blue glass you used on the second bead? It's so pretty, just like boro.
Please tell. Thanks.
The base is pale emerald with Nyx stripes

Storm, you rake the lines before pressing the bead.

Old 2007-11-15, 8:40pm
passionate about pets

midniteburner, thanks i think thats where i went wrong......just look at my pathetic beads....

carolyn...thanks i will try that sometime....i am still getting the whole mold thing...
Attached Images

*StOrM*

Old 2007-11-15, 10:12pm
I speak Murrini!

Oh, yes - those are extremely pathetic and horrible!!! I think you must send them to me immediately - I will hide them from all eyes and you can rest assured that they will never been seen or heard from again (giggle!) NOT!!! JK!!

Honestly, love, these are really looking GREAT - I think you're getting the hang of it...keep practicing, I think you're almost where you want to be!!!

DeAnne in CA

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2007-11-17, 9:16am
Life is change. Love it

You are almost there! Just let them go a little further on the gravity swirl, and be careful with your choice of colours. Remember black is a transparent and won't work as well as the opaques. Good luck!

Old 2007-11-17, 2:23pm
Just me

You did a great job Storm! I really like the colors of the second bead.

These are fun to make huh?
I love the way they look on the ends too, like little pinwheels. They have a lot of depth and movement to them.

I'm really grateful to Suzanne for telling me about making these beads. I don't know how many failed stripe beads I've tossed when they could've been salvaged into some nice beads like these!

Thanks for sharing your pictures. Show us more when you make them.

Last edited by Bubbyanne; 2007-11-17 at 2:29pm.
Old 2007-11-26, 10:56am
Noob

Very nice beads! I just wanted to note that I've gotten a similar effect by making an implosion in soft glass, heating it up, and then (for lack of a better term) "over marvering" it into shape. By that I mean, when trying to shape it into a barrel, I pushed it on to the marver too hard and then pushed the excess around the circumference of the bead until I had shaped it back into a barrel. Does that make any sense at all?

Anyway, it lets you do a little more intricate pattern. Unfortunately, my wife has absconded with the best examples of this that I have, but this should show the end result somewhat.

: The etsy store for all your...um, moonblushy needs. I guess. Maybe you'd best just check it out to be sure.
Old 2007-11-26, 8:23pm
passionate about pets

thanks.....all of you......I will just keep making them.....PPP

Carolyn .... i actually didn't know that black is a transparent...... but now i know.

flynn....I quite like those.....very nice!!!! I could try that too......

bubbyanne.....thanks for the help with these.....I just loved your original beads.

theglasszone.....If you want them you can have them...lol......i still don't know if i should throw out my bad beadds or if i should maybe put them in a jar and if i ever have and open house to sell my stuff.....ppl can just take them if they want them.....

*StOrM*

Old 2008-05-20, 1:32pm
Beadmaking.nl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn M View Post
Storm, I'm not sure what you mean, can you post a picture? If you mean this type, it's very easy, do a double line of dots and rake them using either a stringer or a raking pick. This effect was helped in these beads by using a reactive stringer for the dots and laying them on a foil wrapped bead

This bead design can be made into a peacock feather by adding a large multilayered dot to the top. The design is made by laying on several stringers then raking with a tool

Wow those beads are unbelieveble. FANTASTIC!!!!

Old 2022-05-03, 9:51am
Dancing Moon Shadows

[/quote]

LOVE IT!