Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-06-19, 7:57pm
Bohemian Bead Peddler

I was going to mention Howaco - the nice thing is she labels everything, so you know exactly what you're getting. I get almost all my glass from Howaco.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-06-19, 11:01pm
kiwi ( new zealand)

Hi from new zealand my boss Claudia Borella

is the person you come to get bulls eye glass in nz
so if from in nz check out her web site at

<http://www.claudiaborella.com>

have a good day beading all
Old 2010-06-20, 12:55pm
LE cat whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisb16 View Post
I played with Aurora and Dk. Aurora today and got dark blue, and nothing like these beautiful beads. Please bear with me while I ask some dumb questions.

1. Do you encase the Aurora before you strike the bead or after?
2. How long do you keep it out of the fire before reheating? I kept one out too long and it popped in my lap, but I kept waiting for it to turn light.
3. How long do you reheat it? Just barely? Or back to bright orange?
4. If you keep repeating the striking process, will it get lighter or darker?

Thanks for your patience, oh BE gurus! I've never been good at striking or getting anything out of silver glass, for that matter.

Kris
Hi Kris. I finally got a chance to make a test bead using BE Aurora(picture below). I was in a hurry but I did manage to achieve some pretty colors. The BE Aurora Dark works the same way as the regular BE Aurora.

The steps below are how I was able to achieve the colors. I hope this helps.

1. I started out in a neutral flame, applied the aurora and immediately encased it using BE Crystal Clear. I did not strike the glass before applying the encasement.

2. I then changed my flame from a neutral to a slightly oxidized(striking) flame. I heated the bead until it started to get an orange glow and took it out of the flame. I waited until the orange glow was gone(under table test) and then reintroduced the bead into the flame again.

3. Once I repeated step 2 a few times and got the colors to pop, I then changed my flame to a slightly reducing flame. I heated the bead the same way I did in step 2. This will lighten the colors and give a more pastel effect. Be careful though, if introduced too many times in a reduction flame, it will zap the color right out of the bead(getting browns and yellows). If it goes too light, change the flame back to the oxidizing flame and it should start darkening the colors again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tanya Harness-Floyd

Website ~
~
~
Old 2010-06-21, 4:55am
Karen James

I'm putting my order in tomorrow. I *think* I've got it pretty much set. I've pretty much followed the "go with the color palette you work in" suggestion. The colors that everyone suggestion have pretty much been added even if it is just a rod here or there. For the colors I know I will use more of, I again followed your advice and purchased more of.

I'm going to go with 2 different vendors so I can grab the production colors that I want and a couple of odd lots too. I left myself some wiggle room so I have a great excuse to buy more glass next month too!

Thanks everyone for all the help. I am going to try to photograph some of the beads I have made with the glass I have today and get those posted. Please note the try in that sentence.

Karen

Cricket, Mini CC, Devilbiss MC84 Oxy and NG
Old 2010-06-21, 5:44am
Katherine

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJJames View Post
Thanks everyone for all the help. I am going to try to photograph some of the beads I have made with the glass I have today and get those posted. Please note the try in that sentence.
I would love to see pictures of finished BE beads along with what colored used

Old 2010-06-21, 12:41pm
Karen James

Okay, I started a thread in the Gallery for BE Beads. I posted some beads I made there. Please keep in mind that I am no photographer and that the beads I made were test beads. I did add all the color combos I used. Please add some beads to the thread!!!!!

Karen

Old 2010-06-22, 12:16pm

This is a GREAT thread. So many lampworkers use the other glasses and I pretty much only use Bullseye, so I often don't understand colors or reactions that are being described. This is wonderful. We should try to keep it going. If I lived near Bullseye I'd be there ALL OF THE TIME!!!! As it is, I do a couple of big orders a year, and smaller ones in between. The idea of using sheet glass is great! I have a lot of that, too because my daughter and I do stained glass, fused glass and the lampwork, so Bullseye is our glass. I have plastic pipes that I separate the colors into. I bought them at Home Depot. You can get different sizes - so for clear or white or others that I have a lot of, I use a larger size.

Old 2010-06-22, 10:04pm
Spell check please

I would love to see a picture of your Bullseye Glass rods stash. I keep mine in a tool box because my garage is so very dusty.
Elaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by janetcameron View Post
This is a GREAT thread. So many lampworkers use the other glasses and I pretty much only use Bullseye, so I often don't understand colors or reactions that are being described. This is wonderful. We should try to keep it going. If I lived near Bullseye I'd be there ALL OF THE TIME!!!! As it is, I do a couple of big orders a year, and smaller ones in between. The idea of using sheet glass is great! I have a lot of that, too because my daughter and I do stained glass, fused glass and the lampwork, so Bullseye is our glass. I have plastic pipes that I separate the colors into. I bought them at Home Depot. You can get different sizes - so for clear or white or others that I have a lot of, I use a larger size.
Old 2010-06-23, 3:10am

OK. Here they are. I didn't say it was neat!!

Old 2010-06-23, 5:42am

Here is most of my bullseye rods stash.
It's in the plastic holders above my working area. I've got a few more pounds of some colors where I have more than the 2 pounds that fit in each square area.

The two sections on the very right are my small stash of 96. (so ignore those)
Old 2010-06-23, 5:50am
Katherine

Wow! I love your stash and set up.

Old 2010-06-23, 6:16am
LE cat whisperer

Here is my BE glass stash in the middle.(COE96 left cube and 33COE right cube).

Tanya Harness-Floyd

Website ~
~
~
Old 2010-06-23, 6:44am

Where do you get your "grids" or whatever you call them. They are much nicer than my pipes - although I realized that if I could just come up with sides my setup would work better.

Old 2010-06-23, 7:15am
LE cat whisperer

I made them from the storage cubes that you can get about anywhere. I use the garbage bag ties to tie the inner grids to the outer frame. Here is a link for them. I think the brand I got is made by Whitmore.

Storage Cubes

Tanya Harness-Floyd

Website ~
~
~
Old 2010-06-23, 7:57am

Thanks!

Old 2010-06-24, 1:25pm
Karen James

Tanya - truly wonderful glass stash!

Lynda - I have...envy. Top to bottom, full-blown envy. Studio envy. Torch envy. Setup envy. Glass envy. I think that covers it. Could be more envy there, but I do think that covers it. The glass envy is the strongest. How do you reach the glass above you? (I'm only 5' tall. I'm assuming it's a difficult reach.)

I just bought a second Closet Maid 25 cube storage unit. The first one holds my COE 104 glass. the new one will hold my BE.

Karen

Old 2010-06-24, 2:04pm

I have my husband to thank. I pointed him toward what I wanted, and he built me a great set-up. He get kudos and thanks for that. As for the glass, I've been collecting more than I've been melting for 4 years. It kind on adds up. I have a tiny bit of 104 in the blue welder's case on the far far right. There's a small stash of boro on the floor to my right. I have updated pictures here.

I'm 5-2 - 5-3 and can reach most of what's there. For the rest, I can stand on the bottom rail of my chair and grab whatever color I need while torching. I've got the tags for the glass on the top of the square where I can read them from below.
Old 2010-06-24, 2:21pm

Nice set up both of you.
Lynda that's good you don't live in California I don't know how at 5'2 you could actually reach that high up. I like it however but being in California, it's a disaster waiting to happen.

Tanya..you are way too organized!
Mine starts out looking good but after torching they never seem to go back in the bins!

Old 2010-07-06, 2:25am

Does anybody know if you can "storm" Bullseye? The stormed beads are so pretty, but the tutorial is 104 glass. Thanks

Old 2010-07-06, 6:18am

Yes. Amber luster and hematite storm easily. The blue and green storm, but you have to work them a bit longer. Aurora also storms. There are pictures of bullseye beads in the storming thread.
Old 2010-07-06, 8:18am

Thanks Lynda. I'll look at them.

Old 2010-07-07, 4:45pm

Default Bullseye Glass

I have been following this thread with great interest. I am stocking up my Bullseye stash, and have been very pleased with your recommendations. Got some of what is left at Arrowsprings, and most of my pounds and frit at Howaco, and some great odds at Flamedame.

Lynda, your Bullseye album is fabulous! What wonderful beads, and wonderful colors. Thank you for sharing that with us.

I have no idea what "storming" is. Can you explain or link me to it? I noticed a lot of your beads had that listed in the description.

Thanks, Gayl

PS I love hearing about everyone's favorite colors. Any other suggestions? Any other available odds that are "must haves?"
Old 2010-07-07, 4:59pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

This is the link to the thread about the tutorial

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140277

and this is the gallery thread about the technique, where you can see why people love it so much!

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140300

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-07-07, 6:45pm
Karen James

I'm way behind on posting because I've been in play mode since I received my order.

Thank you all so much for all of your help. I pretty much went with the 1 full pound of the white and black and 2 pounds of clear. I did 1/4 lb on a good number of the other colors that were mentioned i.e. French Vanilla, Nougat and other primary colors in the palette that LyndaJ suggested. I picked up 6 different frits. Ofilia...that is just brilliant! They have been a blast to work with. And the Lustres...holy crap!

As I am going along I am making a list of those colors that I can see I will want pounds of so when I place my next order I can stock up a bit better.

I still haven't picked up any odd lot rods yet because I want to wait to see what I am going to need to stock up on.

Oh and now that storm tut is going on the list too!

When I get a chance I will post some pics of the beads I've been making in the BE thread we have going in the gallery.

Karen

Old 2010-07-08, 3:11am
LE cat whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reenie View Post
Tanya..you are way too organized!
Mine starts out looking good but after torching they never seem to go back in the bins!
Reenie. I can honestly say my studio is the ONLY thing that is presently "organized". Notice the word "presently". If you saw the inside of my house right now, you would definitely think otherwise. Having three children, six days out of the seven day week my house looks like a bomb exploded inside. I may have had a little OCD going on a long time ago when it came to organizing things, but my kids cured me of that real fast.

Tanya Harness-Floyd

Website ~
~
~
Old 2010-07-08, 3:27am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassMigrations View Post
Reenie. I can honestly say my studio is the ONLY thing that is presently "organized". Notice the word "presently". If you saw the inside of my house right now, you would definitely think otherwise. Having three children, six days out of the seven day week my house looks like a bomb exploded inside. I may have had a little OCD going on a long time ago when it came to organizing things, but my kids cured me of that real fast.
Separated at birth? This is sooo me. The house is so not organized and have run out of room. I also was a neat freak and probably vaccumed two to three times a day when the kids were small. Then all heck broke loose and cleaning is not first on the list. I can clean the whole house and within an hour of everyone being home..it's destroyed again. It's like, "why do I bother?"
it's funny but when everyone is gone, the house stays clean forever!!!

Old 2010-07-08, 9:37am

I just loaded in some more pictures. I've got more to go, but I've hit my upload limit, I think. If I can get the rest up, I'll let you all know.
Old 2010-07-08, 10:04pm

Squid, thanks so much for your links about storming. How did I ever miss that exciting development? I think I made it thru only 2 pages of posts before I bought the tutorial myself. Especially once I saw how beautiful the Bullseye storms! Can't wait to try it out, and read the threads in more detail. Thanks again.

Lynda, more great pics. Thanks for posting!

I love seeing what you all are doing with Bullseye. Fabulous beads.

Gayl
Old 2010-07-09, 4:36pm
Angel's Mom

Thanks everyone for all your contributions to this thread!
Old 2010-07-22, 7:04am

My next question. Can you get the colors in Kim Neely's tutorial with any of the Bullseye glasses? I tried looking on the Bullseye site yesterday, but didn't find anything that sounded like it reduced to multi colors.

AND - I ordered my Whitmore storage cubes. Maybe I can be organized now!! I think I'll just put my platic piping in the cubes, and start labeling!!

Tags
bullseye