Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2012-05-12, 7:35pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lewis View Post
A head shop bought some of my stuff and are going to make a order tomorrow
congrats that is awesome!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#C-151
Old 2012-05-12, 8:32pm
Progression in progress

Location: please ask for where i live to send items thank you

Thank you
Old 2012-05-13, 9:12am

How often do you do/practice inside work? How are your cane skills? Do you ever play with mixing colors? When I get burned out making pipes I usually do marbles and pendants. I actually enjoy that more, they just don't have the immediate return pipes do.

Good job on the sales.
Old 2012-05-13, 9:27am

I made this spoon for a friend.

Old 2012-05-14, 3:01pm

OK, I've been making spoons for a little while now and have made a couple dozen of them. I finally have the nerve to show my latest. I'm kinda proud of this one. I only do glass one day a week - wish I could everyday but not in the cards right now. Critique?

Old 2012-05-14, 4:24pm
Pyromaniac

My first comment is: that's a lefty pipe.

My second comment is that my preference is that you should blow the carb a little bigger, and melt it in a little more so it doesn't come to such a sharp point.

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2012-05-14, 5:37pm
is

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeadsGoneWild View Post
OK, I've been making spoons for a little while now and have made a couple dozen of them. I finally have the nerve to show my latest. I'm kinda proud of this one. I only do glass one day a week - wish I could everyday but not in the cards right now. Critique?

First: Compliments. They really look super!

Second: Now to critique........

1.) The carb should be twice the size as the bowl hole. If it isnt, you wont get the clean air to clear the spoon and you gag.

2.) Pop your hole closer to the neck of the spoon. When its popped so that it pushes straight down, its hard to see the bowl when you light it. Move the hole spot and then push that thing down and back.

3.) The bowl (and presumably the bottom that is flattened) has devitrification on it. Easy fix, just hit it back in the flame after you've shaped it and it'll polish itself smooth. Not too hot, just after it starts to glow. When it looks smooth, its perfect!

4.) Carb is "on the wrong side" but only to right handed people. Lefties need some love too but not too much love!

Suggestions, not criticism: Add a few dots of clear to the spoon opposite the carb side. It'll give you great practice melting them in. Use a pinner flame and make sure the entire dot is melted in so it looks like a chocolate chip melting on a pan, not like a cold chocolate chip sitting on one. This is *super* important to get down early!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYOQbRaYXpo

^^^ Thats my spoon tutorial which touches up on every single point above, too....... Hope it helps, and job well done so soon in!
Old 2012-05-14, 5:56pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LePatron View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYOQbRaYXpo

^^^ Thats my spoon tutorial which touches up on every single point above, too....... Hope it helps, and job well done so soon in!
What's the tool at the end of part 2, looks like a mashers with tiny oven mitts? I think I like that idea better than hot fingers.

Old 2012-05-14, 7:26pm
Progression in progress

Thank you for the compliments on the sale it acutally helps me be alittle more inspired with pipe work and figuring out some ideas for basic prodo spoons and bubs they asked for me to do some steam rollers too gonna try that as well one question can you used a utility knife to cut tubing? Beads gone wild have you ever tried condensing the tube and color down to a cone like shape with a rounded bottom? Its actually a really good base form for doing good sized spoons on and allow you to do some really cool looking stringer and cane applications on them.
Old 2012-05-14, 7:26pm
Progression in progress

What color is that by the way?
Old 2012-05-15, 4:56am

Thanks for the critique. All noted and will adjust accordingly. I'm a little confused about the lefty comment though. All the spoons I've ever owned have all had the carb on that side..........James your comment about condensing tube and color down to a cone shape - not sure what you mean - I haven't been doing this long and don't have anyone close that can help with pointers or guidance. As far as the color it's GA Peacock (I love this color). Well this weekend is definitely back to the drawing board but with some direction from you guys. Thanks.

Old 2012-05-15, 5:51am
Pyromaniac

I forgot to say this:Your pipe looks very nice, I would have figured you'd made at least a hundred based on the shaping & over-all polished look.

For a right-hander, the carb is typically on the left hand side of the bowl when you are using the piece. There is no 'right' or 'wrong' - just preferences. Hypothetically speaking, if I were to use one of those types of devices, I would cover the carb with the thumb of my left hand.

Good point about why the carb needs to be larger than bowl.

Something else I noticed, from the bowl to the maria seems to be really thick, but "below" the maria the stem seems to be less sturdy, and the frit very spread out. Not necessarily wrong if that's what you were going for but if not, it's something to be aware of.

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2012-05-15, 9:31am
is

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen-mom View Post
What's the tool at the end of part 2, looks like a mashers with tiny oven mitts? I think I like that idea better than hot fingers.
Those are standard cheapy bbq tongs, with kevlar wrapped around them. I bought it on eBay for $15. I strongly dislike hot fingers but they do have their uses....... I think most are just designed wrong with the metal stabbing the glass and scratching it.........
Old 2012-05-15, 9:53am

When I'm melting stuff in I usually condense the mouthpiece down to it's final diameter. This leaves me with a hot air balloon shaped bulb on the end of a blow pole. Could be what James meant.

Old 2012-05-15, 12:16pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LePatron View Post
Those are standard cheapy bbq tongs, with kevlar wrapped around them. I bought it on eBay for $15. I strongly dislike hot fingers but they do have their uses....... I think most are just designed wrong with the metal stabbing the glass and scratching it.........
Awesome! Thanks! =) I have joint issues in my thumb to wrist area and it's really hard for me to work the sliding thing on the hot fingers as well at the the little screw... this is perfect for me!

Old 2012-05-15, 1:20pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Yay! Just bought the kevlar on Ebay and I'm gonna take a shot in the dark that the giant 99cent store across the street from my shop will have the bbq tongs. Thank you LePatron!

Old 2012-05-15, 2:12pm
Progression in progress

The shape i use is a bit more stretched out and looks like a ice cream cone
Old 2012-05-15, 6:00pm
Progression in progress

Heres a piece i made with my condensing method
Name:  2012-05-15_17-01-30_313-1.jpg
Views: 1838
Size:  22.6 KB

Name:  2012-05-15_17-01-39_332-1.jpg
Views: 1845
Size:  21.8 KB

Name:  2012-05-15_17-01-57_356-1.jpg
Views: 1870
Size:  21.7 KB
Old 2012-05-15, 9:34pm

Nice. You're you seem to be getting better, what kind of block are you hitting?
Old 2012-05-16, 1:05am

I'll have a spot at the Bomdiggidy studio (Katy, TX) for a while in exchange for some plumbing work I'm doing for a buddy. He conveniently owns a shop in the same strip center and is who I buy my glass from. It works out well for everyone. It was more of the tap the sewer and run underground plumbing for his garage/one bedroom apartment conversion than the leaky faucet type of plumbing. Twenty feet for water and sewer, in the baked in South East Texas clay. Think 90 percent humidity with off and on rain. Hard ass sun when it wasn't raining. It didn't start raining until after the trenches were dug. Still worth it to me.

I'll be working around Ogie Iriesun from Team I Hate Your Face. He is the man in black of the two making this heady ass bub http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2y8hv...feature=relmfu ,and the man that made this wine goblet for my wife's Mother's Day present. This was a hard piece to to photo.

I've been off the torch for a week doing this now, but will be finished tomorrow. To say I'm behind on my production work would be an understatement.

I have worked by myself for almost two years now. Can't wait to be around other people again while I'm working .
Old 2012-05-16, 1:20am

Also, I had problems with that yellow, blue, and orange blow in from earlier post. I got frustrated and annealed it at that point. Even after I let it sit a few days and then came back, I couldn't get past the uneven wall thickness from a poorly done blow in. I wound up drowning it.
Old 2012-05-16, 2:26pm
Progression in progress

Thats a awesome goblet and im not really sure Anymore what the blockage was
Old 2012-05-16, 6:56pm

I was happy with the job he did on the goblet. My wife loved it. Good to hear your Muse came back.
Old 2012-05-16, 8:09pm
Progression in progress

Thank now if only i could have the energy
Old 2012-05-22, 2:50am

This was the best pic I got.

The man that made this leaning toward the dark side. He has never worked with color. He has no idea how compression or implosion work. We are about to have a great relationship.

You were correct if you guessed one of those connections are threaded. Yes, threaded.
Old 2012-05-22, 5:50am

Holy! Gary are you going to be able to work with this fellow? That is amazing.

Old 2012-05-22, 7:35am
Progression in progress

My god and everything that is holy how the hell did he make them threaded? Thats insane.
On a litter note what is it about glass that makes everyone want to work with it?
Old 2012-05-22, 3:21pm

There is a mold for the threads. He said he can cut them also. I'll be working wit him in the near future. If you have never been to scientific studio, find one. They were talking about making a 10 liter flask. This little guy is what they were working on yesterday.

I'm set up at Bomdiggidy in Katy, TX. Team I Hate Your Face is in town. I'm learning tons of stuff, just need to practice.

Old 2012-05-23, 11:27am

Old 2012-05-23, 12:00pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jngljnke View Post
There is a mold for the threads. He said he can cut them also. I'll be working wit him in the near future. If you have never been to scientific studio, find one. They were talking about making a 10 liter flask. This little guy is what they were working on yesterday.

I'm set up at Bomdiggidy in Katy, TX. Team I Hate Your Face is in town. I'm learning tons of stuff, just need to practice.

Gary, the art on that sign looks like what Acro has on a wall in one of his you tube videos, let's seeee............here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkBy3AJ3o0k

It's at 20.

Same artist? I really like that.

OK, lol, if I would read even. Same team. Ah well, I just got up. I plead exhaustion as an excuse for idiocy.

Tags
boro, don't say b*ng omg!, duh, it's in the boro room