LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2012-04-06, 3:12pm

Default Dumb kiln question

This might be a really stupid newbie kiln question, but how hot do kilns get on the outside? Is there a concern about what surface they should sit on or how much room to leave around them?
Thanks!
Lisa
Old 2012-04-06, 4:29pm

They are well insulated. I have a chili pepper and it sits on top of a silver kitchen heat resistance pad on top of computer pressed board desk. Granted, I don't leave it on over night but I can put my hand on top of the kiln when it's going. I actually leave a few rods sitting on top of it to pre-warm. Oh, and the layer of dust on top of the kiln never seems to burn off...

I'd still put something under a kiln though. And not too close to a wall either.

Again, mine is a chili pepper.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2012-04-06, 7:07pm
honorary bead lady

I have a JenKen AF3P it sits on 3 fire brick so there is an air space under it and isabout 3" from the wall with a piece of SS between it and the wall
Old 2012-04-09, 3:50pm

thanks for the responses, I am thinking of getting a paragon bluebird, it will sit on a timber bench on the balcony (undercover). I am trying to work out what kind of surface to sit it on, or if its fine directly on the timber...
Old 2012-04-16, 7:15am
KILN BUILDIN FOOL

No kiln should not sit on anything flammable.
Put paver stones down or somthing.
If you have never seen a runaway kiln glowing on the outside, trust me.

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When you tell lie's about someone, well you get what you get.
Old 2012-04-16, 8:44am
Loving learning

I have mine on my workbench, but I put an 18x18" tile down under it. I also don't run it if I'm not going to be around to watch it, and I make sure it's off (well I unplug, but that may be overkill) before I go to sleep because I have a lot of flammable stuff in my building (paper, wood, etc)
Old 2012-04-16, 10:55am
Glass Hive Kiln Tech.

Yes, as Mike said the kiln should be protected for what could happen, not just for the temps it runs normally. Kilns with solid state relays (the ones you don't hear click) usually fail in the on position allowing the elements to go full power until it is noticed. That is why we use the clicky mechanical relays that fail in the off position most often.

I suggest at least 8" from any wall, and not placed under a shelf or with anything directly above it. Floor tiles are a great base, and Davids idea of building an air space under the kiln by stacking bricks is also good. Just be sure the bricks are secure and not easily toppled when bumped.

Also, never set anything on the kiln when it is off that would melt when it was on. Had someone set a candle on the kiln and they forgot to remove it before turning on the kiln. Big mess that could have been deadly. It was caught just in time.

Another pet peeve, a kiln is not a coffee rest station. Yes, I know the kiln keeps it warm, but when the cup gets tipped and pours into the controller box everything gets cold fast.

Warming rods, murrini, and other such glass items is fine. I used to dry frit that was still damp from the crushing step. Works like a charm.

The hottest I have read on the outside top of one of our kilns with a laser thermometer is about 200 degrees.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
Old 2012-04-16, 12:55pm
Now part of the Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsGlass View Post
Another pet peeve, a kiln is not a coffee rest station.
I don't like glass shads in my coffee, no open beverages in the studio!
Old 2012-04-16, 5:16pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88mph View Post
thanks for the responses, I am thinking of getting a paragon bluebird, it will sit on a timber bench on the balcony (undercover). I am trying to work out what kind of surface to sit it on, or if its fine directly on the timber...
before you buy the blue bird check out the Glasshive kilns that Mike and Pam Build
I have a Paragons SC2 and it is a nice kiln but we just added the glasshive regular guy to our studio and we love it the bead doors and rod rests are much easier to use on the glass hive kilns and the customer service at glass hive is fantastic somehow I doubt paragon will anser there phones on a sunday to anwer a question or solve a tech issue.
we looked at both kilns before going with the glasshive but all the fantastic reviews here in LE convinced us to go with them over the paragon.

you do want to place your kiln on somthing fire proof like tile,stone, backer board or a steel sheet

#C-151
Old 2012-04-17, 4:44am
Now part of the Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baywinger View Post
...I have a Paragons SC2 and it is a nice kiln but we just added the glasshive regular guy to our studio and we love it the bead doors and rod rests are much easier to use on the glass hive kilns a...
This is exactly I'm considering a Glass Hive kiln. I have an SC3, it's a great little kiln but, if you have rods warming in it and open the door you need to be extra carefull that they don't sweep stuff out of your kiln.