AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Old 2006-07-11, 6:11pm

Default Torch problem?

Hi all ... this is turning out to be a hard one to crack.

I have a minor running on a concentrator. For a long time I've had problems using some of the frits expecially the reduction based ones (specifically - borabora, rubies and gold, and ocelot spots - all of which I love) as all I get are black unattractive spots rather than a frit "look". I've been torching long enough to to understand the different flame chemistry - so I'm not working with a reductionflame for instance. Well, I had the opportunity to try out a friends torch the other week (she has a different torch but also runs a concentrator) and of course the frit beads turned out beautifully. So, home I come and thinking that perhaps my o2 purity was at fault made some more of the same beads with my tanked O2. I was pretty sure the concentrator was the problem (even pm's the person who sold it to me), until I took my beads out of the kiln this morning - more black dots. Well I'm glad it's not the concentrator ... which leaves my torch or the hoses.

So ... can anyone tell me ... is it possible my torch is somehow affecting the oxygen purity or has carbon build up and the flame is not entirely pure ... or ... I just don't know what it can be?? Help!!!! I want to make beautiful bora bora beads not black dotted things!

Sadie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-07-14, 6:26pm

Maybe a good cleaning? I don't know anything about Minor torches but I have similar problems with my Bobcat when the ports have build-up in them. Once I clean them out it works fine.

Tracey

Listen to your inner voice. It knows what's it's talking about.
Old 2006-07-14, 7:09pm

Thanks Tracey ... that is exactly what the problem was - duh! It's taken me forever to figure it out.

I've had my torch for around 4 years (used irregularly) and never even realised it needed cleaning so I think I had built up a more than healthy coating of carbon on those ports! It seems such an obvious thing now ... lol ... In future lots of cleaning out!

Sadie