Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-10-18, 1:17pm

Question goldstone stringer help

Hi

I have been asked to make a pile (100) beads. They are to be purple with a certian gold design (fret). I am tired of trying to reinvent the wheel. Basically when I apply the gold stone on the purple it gets lost. So then I tried to make a goldstone stringer with a white core. Did not work, too much white showing so then I try agian and make sure there is no white showing before I pull, still not good enough. I tried doing stringer via Kimberly's method better but just not enough gold. Oh yes I am encaseing in clear.

So the actual question is this has anyone successfully made a darker rich purple bead with gold accents and what is the secert. Or if you have a gold stone advice or tutorial that would be apprieciated as well.

Thanks Cathy
Old 2005-10-18, 1:21pm
ManBearPig

Are you using the pre-made goldstone rods/stringers? If so, they are about 95% clear with a little bit of goldstone thrown in. They don't show up well on most colors. They aren't true goldstone.

If you are pulling your own stringers from goldstone chunks, it could be that you are pulling them too thin, or getting them too hot and burning them up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2005-10-18, 2:32pm

Thanks both of you

I have tried manufatured stringer lol some times there as gold and sometimes not.
I have tried melting white and then pick up gold stone frit and them ecase in clear. In this case too much of the white showed through even when I though I had very carefully covered all of the white.

I will try melting a chuck and then encasing with a clear string and see if the shows better on the purple (THANKS KIMBERLY)and I will try not to pull them too thin (THANKS COSMO).

I will let you know how it goes.

You are the BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Smiles
Cathy
Old 2005-10-18, 4:24pm

Hi Kimberly

Thanks for the directions. Well making stringer from chucks made a world of difference. I started back at the torch after I read your first answer. I did it a little different. (well of course I did since I am a little different to begin with ) With my pliers I started to heat up my smallest piece (about the size of a walnut~ were you channalling) and at the sametime the end of my stringer making mandrel. When hot enough I stuck the two together. Melted abit and shaped in to a retangle box. Then followed your instrution not to encase to thickly. One thing it did do is after I placed down a strip of clear I heated the clear and pushed it flatter. Then I heated and pulled stringer with my pliers. WOW WOW AND WOW what a world of differnce. I then made 2 sample beads and played with my stringer. BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!***************

Thank you so much. I was absolutely beside myself trying to figure out what I did wrong and how to get it to work.

So Kimberly when you writting that book???? What book? the one you are going to retire on. Did I happen to say you are the best.

Smiles
Cathy
Old 2005-10-18, 6:01pm

Thanks Kimberly

Sorry no pic as I do not have a digital camera or a scanner. Yet.

It did work great. It made it SSSSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOO much easier.

Cathy
Old 2005-11-10, 1:51pm
Sallysbeads

Thumbs up

I pull my own stringer but I leave it raised on the bead and then encase it. If I melt it in before encasing the sparkle tends to turn dark and get dull.

Great question. Answers have been helpful to me as well. Thanks