Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2009-02-09, 5:22pm
Definitely having fun

Default Anyone brave enough to post a 'Berry' tutorial

I am hoping for some pictoral info on making raspberry, blackberry, blueberries, etc.

After looking across the net and finding almost nothing, I thought I should go to the source and ask our professionals here on the forum.

So whose got the knowledge, the experience...but most of all the guts to show us your berries ?

For those of you who are brave enough...Thank you

Chris
Colorado Rocky Mountains
Old 2009-02-09, 5:44pm
It's all about the color.

Strawberries:
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=101355

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Listenup; 2009-02-09 at 5:47pm.
Old 2009-02-09, 6:16pm
Recovering Enabler

I think there's one in one of Corina's Spotlights.

Old 2009-02-09, 8:29pm
OBA-Official Bead Addict

I made this awhile ago, not sure if this is what you meant by a blackberry?

Janet

Old 2009-02-10, 2:47am

these are some berries I made last year...

Steffi
Attached Images

Old 2009-02-10, 4:05am
Who me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listenup View Post

Thanks for linking, Kay.
Old 2009-02-10, 1:19pm
Yeah me!

No pictures but it is pretty simple...

Rasberry
1. make a small cone (large on one end small on the other)
2. add large bumps of glass VERY close together, melt slightly add more if needed
3. spot heat the bumps and use an exacto knife or something similar to crease each bump.

make sure that you place bumps of glass even on the top of the cone close to the mandrel.

Blackberry
Same as rasberry just don't crease the bumps.

Blueberry
Basically just a round bead with maybe a little bit of bumpy's at the bottom, but to create some interest etch them with small random areas left un-etched.

Last edited by honey*bee; 2009-02-10 at 1:23pm.
Old 2009-02-15, 8:40am
Definitely having fun

Moonbeads : There is, in the third 'book' ...spotlight on the inner child.
Elizabeth Johnson shows us how she makes a strawberry.

Scootrgrl: Nice berry. I am looking to achieve closer placement of the 'dots' on the berry. Also I am thinking now about adding a light etching to the glass to lower the gloss. I like the color in your berry...the light foundation showing through the translucent 'grape' color is nice.

Steffi: Nice berries. Did you have any trouble with heat control and keeping the dots on your blackberrys from melting into each other ? Those blueberries look nice, are they enameled or fumed ?

Honey*bee: Thank you. These steps are what I am expecting to follow, and would like to know if there are any tips or tricks to getting the heat just right to melt the dot to the foundation cone without overheating it and loosing its shape...especially when there is no space between what you are working on and the other dots.

Thank you all for the great pictures and info,
Chris

Last edited by Brandywine; 2009-02-15 at 8:50am.
Old 2009-02-15, 9:29am
Recovering Enabler

I was just looking in the Garage Sale and I found the 'berry' lady! Maybe she has a tutorial?
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...79#post2378379

Old 2009-02-15, 10:04am

I love making them,
See some in my Etsy:
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id...ws_desc&page=1
Thanks,
Naomi
Old 2009-02-15, 10:28am
Definitely having fun

Naomish: Cute strawberries, and chocolate beads....

Would it be wrong to add scent to these kinds of beads...could be too tempting and could lead to lawsuits over broken dentistry

Chris
Old 2009-02-15, 10:56am

Thank you Chris,
I''l think about it...
Old 2009-02-15, 5:55pm
Yeah me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandywine View Post
Moonbeads :

Honey*bee: Thank you. These steps are what I am expecting to follow, and would like to know if there are any tips or tricks to getting the heat just right to melt the dot to the foundation cone without overheating it and loosing its shape...especially when there is no space between what you are working on and the other dots.

Thank you all for the great pictures and info,
Chris
Well the best advise it work fast! Heat a small area in the edge of your flame and then crease as many as you can and move to an area on the opposite side of the bead.

Old 2009-02-17, 7:37pm
OBA-Official Bead Addict

Quote:
Scootrgrl: Nice berry. I am looking to achieve closer placement of the 'dots' on the berry. Also I am thinking now about adding a light etching to the glass to lower the gloss. I like the color in your berry...the light foundation showing through the translucent 'grape' color is nice.
Thanks, actually it was suppose to be a bunch of grapes, made it for a friend. I guess it could be either...lol!

I think etching would look awesome, I still have a few berries laying around here somewhere, maybe I'll give it a go!

I wish I could remember the colours of glass I used, I know it was a moretti clear purple but I have no idea what type the burgundy colour was.

Janet

Old 2009-02-18, 10:13am

The queen of berries is Elizabeth (Beth) Johnson and I don't think she has a tutorial out but you could ask... all she can say is "no."

Old 2009-02-18, 12:26pm
caffiene, beads, bedhead,

I actually have a berry and blossom tutorial about 1/2 finished,
it will have strawberries,blueberries, raspberries, and black berries,
plus some adorable blossoms, and maybe some bugs.
similar to these but not, lol

~~
~~
Old 2009-02-18, 1:00pm
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ever After View Post
I actually have a berry and blossom tutorial about 1/2 finished,
it will have strawberries,blueberries, raspberries, and black berries,
plus some adorable blossoms, and maybe some bugs.
similar to these but not, lol
Ahhhh, sweet sassafras!!! Beautiful Laurie! I'm sure it will be a winner!

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2009-02-18, 9:29pm

Yah.. I think I'd give a lot for a Elizabeth Johnson Blackberry Tutorial. Someone should ask her.

My Non-Glass Sites:

Old 2009-02-18, 9:49pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarleenMB View Post
The queen of berries is Elizabeth (Beth) Johnson and I don't think she has a tutorial out but you could ask... all she can say is "no."
her beads are in the "1000 glass beads" book - she says sometimes people pick them up to eat them - i thought they were brilliant!

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2009-02-19, 6:06am

Id Love to learn her cherries, they are sublime!

~~
~~
Old 2009-02-19, 6:40am

Hi Laurie, I love her cherries too. I love your stuff as well, especially your strawberries, but I love super sur-realism best. Months ago, someone sent me a link to her site and I about fell out of my chair.... incredible. You can eat them!

My Non-Glass Sites:

Old 2009-02-19, 8:22am

I got to see her stuff at the tucson show a couple years ago, she wasnt there, but those cherries, were absolutely to die for.

~~
~~
Old 2009-02-19, 10:08am
I speak Murrini!

I just HAD to click on that EBJ link, didn't I? Wow - just wow!!! How gorgeous!!! Those Reiner Cherries are my favorite to eat in real life!!! Too bad they run about $6 per lb. around here - when you can find 'em!

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2009-02-19, 2:11pm

Sorry 'bout that! LOL. I know what you mean about the queen anne (aka rainier). I'm lucky enough to own a pair of Beth's raspberries. She used to work at Glasscraft so I got to ooh and ah over her stuff every time I went down for a class. Her work is so meticulous and lifelike. I'm in awe of it.

Old 2009-02-20, 9:03pm
OBA-Official Bead Addict

Holy crap, I just checked out that EBJ link too....they look soooo real! I think I will have to get some of those cherry earrings too!

Janet

Old 2009-02-20, 9:19pm

Yep. It's about berry making time again. My best advice is to buy or pick some fresh berries and bring them to the torch with you to capture their essence....sort of like painting from life, torching from life.

Before His throne is a sea of glass like crystal.

Old 2009-02-21, 9:02pm
Flame Dames Rule!

When I taught at Glasscraft a year or so ago, Beth was the studio manager and TA'd my classes. I asked her to bring her fruit to class, and they were fabulous perfect little pieces of art, and I snagged a couple for my collection. They're just super-realism perfection! It takes her forever to do a strawberry, she plunges stringer to make every single little seed, I think there are over 100 on the large berries. I wish I had that stamina/coordination/work ethic...

*s*

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Old 2009-02-22, 3:57pm
Definitely having fun

I have asked Beth about a tutorial, and she said she was thinking of putting one out. At this time she is quite busy. So for now, we will have to hold our breath.
Old 2009-03-09, 4:23pm

Laurie i would be VERY interested in your tutorial when you have it ready!

- 20% off for LE members!

[size="3"]Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday. - Dale Carnegie
Old 2009-03-09, 6:34pm
Formerly FishBulb

Here is Laurie's tut:

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php...ng_id=21976828

I might have to get this for myself soon.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.