Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2019-12-21, 1:25pm

Default Flame color on oxy con

Hi All,
I've been lurking on this site a while now and finally got my studio sufficiently "done" to melt glass and of course I need some help! Couldn't find the answer to my problem using search.

I'm running a GTT Scorpion's Bobcat center fire on an EX-20. I can melt boro easily enough but not getting the expected bright yellow sodium flare; it's orange and not painful to watch. It doesn't look like the flame I was seeing during classes, which was on tanked O2. I'm questioning the oxygen purity and whether it's even the ~92% I should get from oxy cons? The low purity light is not on and adjusting the EX-20 flow & propane doesn't help.

Any thoughts on whether this is normal for oxy cons or if there is a problem with this particular EX-20 unit? Maybe a specific color test would help? I've got lots of colors to try if someone can suggest one.

Thanks for any insight and I look forward to returning the favor in due course.
Old 2019-12-21, 5:09pm
Loving learning

Were the classes using the same glass, or soda lime?
Sorry I sm not much help.
Old 2019-12-21, 9:59pm
Phill

First off boro is going to be much brighter/whiter than soft soda lime glass in the flame.
The yellow flare in soft glass is from the soda burning but since boro replaces soda in the glass mix you aren't going to get the same colors.

( Please don't look at either flare without proper eye protection. It doesn't take long to ruin your eyes for ever. Don't let others watch you work without it either. )

Second, oxycons will drop purity levels when you turn the output all the way to the max.
Best to run oxycons at 4.5 on a 5 LPM machine, 9 on a 10 LPM and 13 on a 15 LPM.

Even then oxycons only deliver 96 to 97 % purity at the best of times while tanked O2 from welding shops can give you 99% but you pay serious $$$ for the privilege.
Old 2019-12-21, 10:09pm
Phill

But I could be seriously wrong on this.

( I just watch a video that showed boro laboratory glassware being made and it had lots of the yellow flare. )

The oxycon purity level stuff should still hold from what I understand of how the things work.

ETA: And Welcome to the addiction. Try not to spend your retirement plan on glass. It lasts a long time but you still can't eat it when you stop working.

Last edited by Speedslug; 2019-12-21 at 10:14pm.
Old 2019-12-22, 12:42pm

The classes I took were on a Nortel Minor I believe and we only did boro; that flame was unbearable up close and painful from afar. At home I can just look at it but of course I don't (using Phillips BoroTruview3.0 glasses). I've played with the flow rate and warm up time, no change.
Since I can melt the heavier boro rods and stiffer colors I can continue on my learning curve but at some point I will want the Scorpion's outer fire and I doubt I can get much out of it with the EX-20.
Old 2019-12-22, 5:20pm
Phill

Aye, I am a hot head and GTT Cricket kid running on 10 LPM and house hold natural gas so I only get to "rage at the machine" (1980s reference) and rage a torch in my dreams.

Good luck.

Teach me what you learn if you think of it.
Old 2019-12-27, 4:53pm
funny mofo

Are you using propane or household natural gas?
Old 2019-12-27, 6:41pm

Propane
Old 2020-01-28, 5:47am

Did you find a solution ? Maybe playing in uptown aces mobile helps you make some decision and bring new energy in life.

Last edited by RobertPhillips; 2020-05-13 at 11:06pm.
Old 2020-02-06, 1:25pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertPhillips View Post
Did you find a solution ?
Nope, just making do with what I have for now. I still have to work on not boiling some colors so there is certainly enough heat for my newbie projects.
I will get to some oxydizing color tests but first I have to put finishing touches on my work table.
Old 2020-02-07, 10:07am

Go to etsy and search for pipyr. She has several tutorials for a $1.00 that can help. One is boro on a concentrator and it will give you tips on how to get great color.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2020-02-12, 7:47pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnantel View Post
The classes I took were on a Nortel Minor I believe and we only did boro; that flame was unbearable up close and painful from afar. At home I can just look at it but of course I don't (using Phillips BoroTruview3.0 glasses). I've played with the flow rate and warm up time, no change.
Since I can melt the heavier boro rods and stiffer colors I can continue on my learning curve but at some point I will want the Scorpion's outer fire and I doubt I can get much out of it with the EX-20.
You might be surprised. Nothing is like tanked oxy but that torch should be fine with your EX-20. Up to a point. The difference that you're seeing is probably just that it's a different torch, different company. I use a Beth at home but have used a GTT at classes. Def a difference.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2020-09-08, 5:11am

only natural gas in using
Old 2020-12-17, 4:56am
Dude

I guess it's about fine tuning and gas quality.

some great bonus 4 new members

Tags
ex-20, flame adjustment, scorpion