Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-02-25, 11:06pm

Default Favorite frit ?

Bought my first container of Dark Multi. What are your must have frit colors?
Old 2010-02-26, 6:02am
ManBearPig

Purple Luster
Blue Moon
Red Exotic
Clear

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-02-26, 7:48am
Pyromaniac

Clear, Blue Moon, amber purple, black.

Oh and any of Paula's frit blends.
There are a couple of new frit blend people recently; I have not tried any of them but they look fantastic!

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2010-02-26, 8:04am
Corgi Cult Member

Clear, both small and large.
I really like the exotics when used sparingly.
Butterscotch
Blue Moon
A couple of Paula's blends. They equal instant success.

Old 2010-02-26, 8:10am

My favorites are any of the amber-purples, clear, blue moon, and amazon bronze.

Not to knock the frit blends, as I have used them myself at times (there are some beautiful combos out there), but I would suggest learning to blend your own mixes. I say this for four reasons:

1. If you end up with a favorite mix, and the maker discontinues it, you are stuck. This happened to me on a set I was making, and it cost me a sale.

2. It allows you to adjust if you have a customer who wants a number of pieces with more of this or that color in them.

3. It is a lot less expensive.

4. You learn how the different frits react together.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2010-02-26, 9:27am
The Venerable Bead

thanks lana, yes try my blends lol

Paula AKA The Venerable Bead

"I believe in pink, I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles."
— Audrey Hepburn

flaming away on a betta, natural gas, and 2 M-20's

Old 2010-02-26, 10:44am
Marbles, dude, Marbles

# 1 - clear, both small and large

lately I've been getting nice results with small amazon bronze

Old 2010-02-26, 11:37am
Madmanmarbles

Clear, Red Exotic, and Lochness

[color="Red"] Chettah
Old 2010-02-26, 11:58am
Pyromaniac

And the winner is . . . . .

CLEAR!!

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2010-02-26, 8:11pm
Tamara Knight

I agree on mixing your own blends.
I keep a 1/4 and 1/2 tsp and measure sample batches. try the mix on clear, black, AP, and a red. And remember when mixing frit you can mix different sizes. I have been playing with mixing the 82 and 70 grade frit the size makes a big difference on the effects. and you can add clear to frit blends too.
Old 2010-02-26, 10:48pm

Just make a frit maker!

Old 2010-02-27, 10:35pm

How do you make a frit maker? When I used soft glass I would bring it up to molten and then toss it into cold water. I doubt it is that easy with boro.
Old 2010-02-28, 7:52am

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofswords View Post
How do you make a frit maker? When I used soft glass I would bring it up to molten and then toss it into cold water. I doubt it is that easy with boro.
It is essentially just a metal pipe with another pipe that slides inside the others. They are both sealed at one end. You drop pieces of rod in one pipe, slide the other down inside and pound it up and down. You then need to sift it through a series of screens into different sizes.

That being said, I have found that physicaly crushing your own frit is messy and time consuming. I only do it when a specific color isn't available in frit. Plus, the size of the frit is much more consistant if you get the ready made stuff. Then you can just experiment with mixing a bit of this frit with a bit of that frit. Remember to write down your ratios and content. It stinks to come up with a great new combo that you can't quite reproduce.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2010-03-01, 10:50pm

I have a used garbage desposal, you can run water through it too to cut down on dust. Wire it to a plug, mount on sawhorses out side, grab garden hose. Wear earplugs! and glasses!

When you are done sift through with a magnet!
Old 2010-03-02, 6:27am
The Battle of Boro Boro

For those who are interested...

Glass Crafters (Stained Glass Supply) is having a big sale right now. It looks like you get an additional 20% the sale price of the Frit Maker and Screeners. (Type in "Frit" in the search box.)

I order my stained glass through them so they are a reputable supplier.

Here's the link.
http://www.glasscrafters.biz/Merchan...m_medium=email

Looks like you add code:20sale at checkout.

Old 2010-03-02, 2:34pm

TAG is now fritting up some of that Chinese White Tiger. It looks really good with the Red Elvis frit.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2010-03-09, 8:42pm
Megan's personal Sherpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginkgoglass View Post
Clear, Blue Moon, amber purple, black.

Oh and any of Paula's frit blends.
There are a couple of new frit blend people recently; I have not tried any of them but they look fantastic!
Hi Lana, I just got 4 sample packs from Feng Frit factory today, yummy looking on their site......I can't wait to play with them! I'll post pics when I get done with them!

Flinging flaming frit at friends for fun!

Deb
Old 2010-03-09, 8:46pm
Megan's personal Sherpa

Wow folks, these suggestions and ideas are GREAT! I have a TON of 96 frit and one of my favorites is made by a woman who closed up shop. Silly me, I only bought a small jar and now I'm wishing I had gotten the big one! The idea of buying single colors of frit and mixing your own is really logical.

Flinging flaming frit at friends for fun!

Deb