Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-03-18, 9:29am

Default Buying Clear, Tubing Size Questions

Hey everyone, I'm gonna be putting in an order for some simax clear rod and tube soon, and I want to branch out a bit in my selection. I've been working with 3, 6, 10, and 12 mm rod and 25mm x 4mm tube with 8mm x 2mm tube for the blow tube. I'm planning on getting more of all of those, but I'd like to hear some suggestions on what people like for other sizes and what they use them for. For example, I'd like to get some larger rod to use for marble blanks, as well as for making larger implosions and vortexes (vortices? vortexi? lol), and I'd like some smaller tubing for doing tubing implosions, honeycombs, tubing collapses, etc.

So, what's everyone like to use? Lay it on me! (and for that matter, if anyone buys cases and wouldn't mind selling me some pieces out of them, I would definitely be grateful to not have to buy per piece!)

Check out my Etsy shop!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-03-18, 12:39pm

i like 16, 20, and 26mm rod for implosions (16/20 for pendants, 26 for marbles)

vortexes start off small (12mm maybe 16mm for big ones) and encasing/backing makes them large - no need to start off on a large rod

25x4 tubing is my workhorse for the designs you list (implosions/honeycombs/retti's) - i just use different lengths for each project and if necessary i can pull it down to a smaller diameter.

btw, generations is having a simax sale this month. might make your dollar stretch.
Old 2010-03-18, 5:09pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

I do mostly blown work and prefer standard wall tubing rather than the heavy or medium wall stuff, I get more even bubbles etc and can blow things thinner and more delicate that way. If I am pulling my points by hand and making things like perfumes , ornaments, and smaller vases I like 18-25 mm tubing. I also like 25 for bells and most feet for goblets. For goblet tops I like 32-45mm depending on the size top I need. 32 I can still work comfortably by hand but much past that I am wanting to go to the lathe these days.

for things like blown flower petals, I color the bubble and rip it open to make the petals,, much thinner and more natural and delicate looking, I like 12-15mm, 15mm also makes a nice ornament in my long icicle style and good stoppers for perfumes.

hope this helps you,

Candice

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2010-03-18, 5:28pm
Borovangelist

It kind of depends on what you're making and what you're using to make it. For example I stock 32mm rod to make toys with, but I wouldn't attack it with a Cricket or Minor.

I have cases of 44x4, 25x4, 12x2, and a case of 12mm rod. I just ordered a few more pieces of 25mm rod (I like it for marbles and I'm running low), and some smaller rods for encasing and punties.

And definitely check out Generations sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
Old 2010-03-18, 6:03pm

I would reccomend 8mm rod for use in small pendants. 4mm rod is great for aencasing vortecies. You should also get some 16mm heavy wall tubing and maybe some 19 or 20mm tubing. You might want to try flat rod. These guyshttp://www.glasshousesupply.com/cgi-bin/store/agora.cgi have it. They also sell by the piece for pretty cheap. Be sure to order lots of 3mm because it goes fast.

Old 2010-03-18, 9:21pm

I use a lot of 4 mm to encase beads, but not sure you're headed in that direction. Sounds like you are much more adventurous than me

Old 2010-03-19, 9:21am
product of the universe

Quote:
(and for that matter, if anyone buys cases and wouldn't mind selling me some pieces out of them, I would definitely be grateful to not have to buy per piece!
)
Hey man your not to far from here if you ever need supplies hit me up I may be able to help.

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2010-03-19, 10:59am
ManBearPig

I do most of my vortex marbles on 16mm rod. Sometimes on 19 or larger, depending on how strong my forearms feel that day.

I encase the back of them with 10mm.

I make most of my rod pendants on 10-12mm rod. Most tubing pendants are on 26mm.

I make tubing marbles on 26, 32, or 36mm tubing. It really depends on what I happen to have on hand that day.