Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-03-18, 8:46pm
Somebody's watching me!

Default correct eye protection.

So im new to boro in about a week when my torch gets here. I've read somewhere that i need extra eyeprotection besides the plain didymium glasses. will a pair of clip on shades work? or do i need to spend the money and get the proper protection?
Old 2010-03-18, 9:05pm

you can buy welders shade 5 clip ons, but you need to replace them after a certain period of time: (bottom of page) http://www.generationsglass.com/Eye_Protection.html
but if u are just buying your first set of didydiums, then you might as well get the ones for boro (shade 3, 4, or 5) since it doesn't cost too much more than soft glass didydiums.
Old 2010-03-18, 9:12pm

I started with the clip-ons and moved up to the split 3/5's. I love them, but they aren't cheap. I used the clip-ons for a while, but wasn't sure how long they would last (and how would I know when they stopped working) so ordered the regular glasses for boro work. I love the split feature, I use it all the time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-03-19, 9:00am
Somebody's watching me!

so, if they go bad is it because a time thing(as in they go bad whether they are being used or not)? or an exposure length time? because id only be torching boro a couple hours a day at the most.

if the time rating is for exposure, then id be set for much longer than the suggested life of the clip-ons
Old 2010-03-19, 9:11am

I'm not absolutely positive on this, but it seems to me it's based on usage. I tried to google it and find out, but I couldn't find anything that specifically noted this info. I just found "replace regularly", that sort of thing. I saw other kinds of clips ons, mine were the flip up kind, maybe $25, to be clipped on didy's.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-03-19, 9:27am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I think it's an age issue, not a usage issue, but I'm not sure either.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-03-19, 9:45am
Somebody's watching me!

well, I think we could make an educated guess if anyone has ever opened a package. If they are in a opaque air tight bag, it is probably an age type of expiration. If they come boxed and wrapped only for shipping, it may be an exposure expiration.

anyone willing to share their exciting clip-on first-time unwrapping adventure??
Old 2010-03-19, 10:15am

well it was a few years back, but as I recall, they were just in a little plastic bag that was folded over on the end. I don't believe it was sealed. That was just in a thin cardboard box.

Old 2010-03-19, 10:31am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

they don't have an expiration date on them or anything like that.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-03-19, 10:45am
Somebody's watching me!

hmmm, well maybe we could safely assume that it's an exposure expiration then. I'll keep looking for some more intel on this question.
Old 2010-03-22, 2:08pm
Somebody's watching me!

I still have not found anything yet on how they expire. I may just breakdown and buy the boro ready glasses that are all over supply websites
Old 2010-03-23, 1:25pm
Somebody's watching me!

anyone know if these are just as good as the phillips!? it's one hell of a deal if they are esentially the same thing!! It looks like the brand is Solaris.

http://www.riogrande.com/MemberArea/...oot|116=Safety
Old 2010-03-23, 2:45pm
Alaska Boro

Yes, those from Rio will work fine for welders shade 3. Some like the darker shade 5, but I fund them too dark for my liking.

However, keep in mind that either the shade 3 or 5 will have nothing to do with filtering out the sodium flare. For that you need either a didy shield or didy glasses.
Old 2010-03-23, 2:58pm
Somebody's watching me!

aww maaannn...i was hoping i found a cheap pair of boroscopes. anyone know the best economical way to obtain a pair (brand or off-brand)? i have the didy's and was thinking about the shade 3 clip ons but would rather have a built for purpose pair of glasses.
Old 2010-03-23, 3:27pm
The Battle of Boro Boro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakerman44 View Post
aww maaannn...i was hoping i found a cheap pair of boroscopes. anyone know the best economical way to obtain a pair (brand or off-brand)? i have the didy's and was thinking about the shade 3 clip ons but would rather have a built for purpose pair of glasses.
Trust me. When it comes to your eye protection...do yourself a favor and don't skimp. You will thank yourself soon than later.

Old 2010-03-23, 4:24pm

I think I was reading in a thread here between Ed from Aura Lens and Brent Graber (among others) ... it sounded like the welding lenses would/could fade. I suppose you could take a picture of a white background through the glasses and (in the exact same light/background) take periodic pictures and compare. Mike's (from AuraLens) blog had some information about the new NIOSH guidelines for bright light exposure ... but it would take some math to calculate whether the lens coating had degraded to the point where they weren't safe.

found these links:
glasses for boro: Phillips boroscopes or Aura Lens??
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113635
Best Eye Health Info? How Do We Figure Out If We're Safe Enough?
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=122896
Lampworking and Eye Health?
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=131901

Last edited by AutEvDesigns; 2010-03-23 at 4:46pm. Reason: added links
Old 2010-03-23, 4:41pm
Somebody's watching me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyCreekGlass View Post
Trust me. When it comes to your eye protection...do yourself a favor and don't skimp. You will thank yourself soon than later.
yeah i suppose so. I like my eyeballs. i should protect them properly. I can't decide if i want the shade 3 or 5 though. i work inside a garage fluorescent lit and usually in the evening time so maybe i just need shade 3. If nothing else, shade 3 will hold me over until i can afford another pair. Thanks for the suggestion
Old 2010-03-23, 9:10pm
Alaska Boro

Found a nice pair of shade 3 plastic glasses at AirGas. They were $9.50. This is a welding supply national chain store. Perhaps there is one in your area.
Old 2010-03-24, 8:53pm

Shade 5 is like dark sunglasses. They are dark enough to see the filament in incandescent bulbs, oxy acetylene weld/cut with. Just about anything except the sun and arc welding.