Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-03-24, 8:43am
Somebody's watching me!

Default starter colors

I started this thread in the tips section and not the boro room on accident. danke!

What's the best sample color boro pack? Northstar, Glass Alchemy, borostix, etc. or should i just buy the colors i like? Borostix from generations seems to be the best buy on individual colors (at least from my research).

Glasscraft has a cheap starter set, but for the weight of glass you're getting it costs a little under double if i bought them individually!! it's a pain in the arse to order 1 of every color (and im sure it is for the vendor as well) so i can get around paying double price...

I just want some experimentation colors to play with while i learn the properties of boro.

Does anyone have any ideas or maybe some odds they'd sell me for a reasonable pirce? (i dont have paypal, but could mail a money order)

Thanks for the help-a-roo!!!!

justin

PS: im using pyrex clear tube and rod (if it matters for compatibility). WaleApp had a sale on it.
Old 2010-03-24, 10:16am
Miss my BoBo Griff

Hi Justin,
PM me your address and I will send you something to start off with. the rods will be 6 or more inches and it will be close to a pound of a diverse variety of boro colors. You need to get clear in a few diameters and get some clear frit as well. The rods I will send will be a combination of NS and GA with maybe some momka I don't keep a lot of her glass right now tho and it is more expensive so I use it up. Hope this helps you
chrisann

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-03-24, 11:16am
ManBearPig

The starter packs have some very useful colors and some very non-useful colors. Whether they be colors that don't really do much or are hard to work with or whatever.

When we had our store, we used to offer our own sample packs. We had a striking colors pack, a sparkle colors pack, and a couple others.

The striking colors pack was most popular by a long shot. Here's what was in them (to the best of my memory)...

1 rod of each:
NS Amber/Purple
NS Double Amber/Purple
NS Blue Moon
NS Turquesa
GA Purple Luster
GA Caramel Luster
GA Silver Strike 3
GA Triple Passion

2 rods 7mm clear
1 rod 12mm clear
1 oz. Butterscotch frit
1 oz. Blue Moon frit
1 oz. Clear frit

Something like that would be a good starting point...

•
•
•
Old 2010-03-24, 12:04pm
Pyromaniac

^^^^^^

That looks like a great bunch of rods to start out with!
I would get all those plus a red like Elvis, a black and a white and you will be really happy.

Don't get too many to begin with or you will be frustrated like I was.

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2010-03-24, 5:19pm
Borovangelist

Is anyone else like me and gets the sample packs but never actually tries them? I have a couple sitting on my shelf that are more like a sample case rather than something I've ever put a flame to. Heck I have one from TAG I should bust into.

|
|
Old 2010-03-24, 8:45pm

Blue moon, Multi, AP or DAP. Lots of cobalt 3 or 4. Cobalt is good because it is cheap and is good for practicing dots and lines etc.

That's what I started out with.

For clear, it depends on your torch but definitely lots of 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 12mm and the largest you can handle (16mm for now here)

Old 2010-03-25, 4:47am
The Battle of Boro Boro

I second Cosmo's list but add NS Butterscotch rod as it's a very forgiving neutral that can take what ever you toss at it. I would also add some NS Star White and a rod or two of some crayon colors so you can practice temp control.

Old 2010-03-25, 10:40am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyCreekGlass View Post
I second Cosmo's list but add NS Butterscotch rod as it's a very forgiving neutral that can take what ever you toss at it. I would also add some NS Star White and a rod or two of some crayon colors so you can practice temp control.
Silver Strike 3 is almost the same as Butterscotch, but gives a little wider range of colors.

•
•
•
Old 2010-03-25, 11:46am

Quote:
Originally Posted by menty666 View Post
Is anyone else like me and gets the sample packs but never actually tries them? I have a couple sitting on my shelf that are more like a sample case rather than something I've ever put a flame to. Heck I have one from TAG I should bust into.
I swear that's why I want the borostix sampler GlowJoe has on his website--I just want to fondle the pretty colors--they look like candy!! Who cares if I never melt them? They're just so pretty, I could look at them all the time!!

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2010-03-31, 1:53pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunamoonshadow View Post
I swear that's why I want the borostix sampler GlowJoe has on his website--I just want to fondle the pretty colors--they look like candy!! Who cares if I never melt them? They're just so pretty, I could look at them all the time!!
These I have to see!
Old 2010-03-31, 2:53pm
Borovangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunamoonshadow View Post

I wound up raiding the purple out of mine because I ran out

|
|