Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2009-06-22, 5:41am
Flamewoman

Question GLOW STIXS: What have you done with 'em?

I got some of that Glow glass, and have tried imploding it with for a flower in a pendant, with a thin layer of AP first and the glow under it. It does not glow at all. Also I made a flower implosion with nothing but the glow glass, it glows faintly. I made some beads with glow glass and thin clear over, they glow but not brightly. Finally I made one of my starfish, and used the glow on top, nothing on top if it, that glows well but it is not pretty.

I am dissapointed that it won't glow in implosions very much. I have been very careful not to get it over hot, so that's not it.

How have you used this glass? Pictures would be great!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PLEASE like my page!
Old 2009-06-22, 8:57am
<---RamboPatootieSuperbun

What brand is the glow glass you got?

I just got some glow-in-the-dark boro sticks at Arrow Springs on Saturday! I think it is made by Origin? Not sure but that sounds right.

I don't even usually use boro but I glow-in-the-dark, so I made a few teeny spacers last night to try it. It melted really fast, and this morning when I cleaned the beads and checked the glow, I was amazed!! Really bright glow-in-the-dark green!!! They look almost white (opaque) in regular lighting.

I'm going to attach them to my key ring so I can find my keys in the dark. Very useful, I know. I was one of those kids with plastic stars on the ceiling and I wore glow-in-the-dark nailpolish year-round, not just for Halloween.

I might have to dig out the rest of my boro stash and come up with something a little more creative than spacers, now that I know the sticks GLOW and I am hooked!

Kelly

Old 2009-06-22, 9:16am

Did you put them in a bright light first? I think I heard somewhere that you need to do this.... Try it. Put them in a bright light, near a bulb, then go in a dark closet and see if it glows.

Then let us know!!!!!!!!! Lots of us might need this glass if it glows! lol

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2009-06-22, 9:32am
boro color bender

Gotta watch your heat. Make it white hot and it's just really expensive white glass... work it cooler like dichro and it's magical. I use it for sculpting wings on my hearts... if you're using it for implosions, work it cool and test to make sure the color you're using on top doesn't filter out the wave length the glass needs to absorbs and glow. I think amber purple blocks what glow needs, but AP needs to be worked well above the glow boro's heat range to make pink, so I'm not sad about it blocking it... Joe said cobalt should work over it. I haven't really tested it on implosions much... will when I get a chance. The two rules to working it are keeping it on the cooler working end and not blocking the light waves it needs. The torsos I've made and the wings glow in the shade... super bright.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2009-06-22, 1:55pm
Flamewoman

Yeah Brent, everything on the surface glows for me. I have kept it as cool as I can and still melt it. I was hoping for some cool implosions that glowed. I did one without anything over it, a flower. It glows, but it's blah. I will keep trying, but why don't you just figure this out for me, huh? You are the boro man. If anyone can make this work it's you.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2009-06-22, 4:59pm

this is a little passionflower implosion I did with Joe's glowstix a few weeks ago. Like Brent said, it doesn't like to be overheated. Slow, cold and patient is the key to implosions with this glass. I tend not to case it in any of the work I've done with it so far. I figure the more light gets through to charge up, the more and longer it will glow.
Attached Images

Running a
by Miema on LPG and oxy bottles and a GTT Mirage.
Old 2009-06-22, 7:32pm
Flamewoman

Oh yes, Mr Wickedglass, those are nice indeed! Thank you for posting! I will try it as a backing.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2009-06-22, 8:35pm

I made 2 hearts with cobalt over them.
They look turquoise when they glow.
I laid them outside in the sun for 5 minutes and they glow a lot.
I got mine from Joe too.

It is really cool stuff.

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2009-06-22, 8:51pm
Borovangelist

I'm not trying to shill (mostly) but here's a couple of things I made with it up on my Etsy site:

A floral implosion marble:

An amphora with a stopper made with a glow core:

|
|
Old 2009-06-23, 7:00am

Nice one, Tom, I wonder what a buyer would think if you didn't tell them it was glowstix .... hehe, surprise, radioactive perfume

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary K View Post
Oh yes, Mr Wickedglass, those are nice indeed! Thank you for posting! I will try it as a backing.
Mary, that's not a backing, that round blue glowy disc is part of the implosion, this pendant has no backing on it at all

Running a
by Miema on LPG and oxy bottles and a GTT Mirage.
Old 2009-06-23, 7:33am
Borovangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedglass View Post
Nice one, Tom, I wonder what a buyer would think if you didn't tell them it was glowstix .... hehe, surprise, radioactive perfume
hehehe..nah, for that I use the uranium glass!

|
|
Old 2009-06-29, 9:35am
No longer a Member

Well....I just found this thread and I am amazed at what you all have been making with these stix!!!!!!
WOW!!!!!
WAY TO GLOW!!!!

Drop me a line with any questions.......although Smiley and the others here have pretty much nailed it!!!!

I have the glow stix made by Origin Glass in Midway Georgia......I'm up there at least once a week.......leave questions and comments for them or myself here...or sales@glowglass.com or call me 928-458-6595

BTW....you don't have to have a blacklight....yes...It charges the glow quicker than anything else and a BL will up your sales....unless of course you have a market in a cave somewhere....and if you do...let me know....I've been asking Lewis for years to turn the lights off for me on The Best Bead Show Floor!!!!!!!
Really....any light will work....even a campfire...

Blessings to you all!!!

Joe
Old 2009-06-29, 9:37am
No longer a Member

Default Is that you Christian?

WOW!!!!! I love it!!!!

You should post some of the pics you sent me.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedglass View Post

Mary, that's not a backing, that round blue glowy disc is part of the implosion, this pendant has no backing on it at all
Old 2009-06-29, 11:45am
Borosapien

here is a pendant i have made with glow sticks.

Old 2009-06-29, 12:10pm
Borovangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel View Post
here is a pendant i have made with glow sticks.

Gorgeous!!

|
|
Old 2009-07-04, 7:01am

Marcel, is that dots on the surface of a pendant or imploded? I've been trying to implode and not having any success. Do you encase the glow-stix or use them "nekked"?

Greg
Old 2009-07-04, 1:40pm
Borosapien

Hi Greg the dots are on the surface and there nekked.

Old 2009-07-04, 1:40pm
Borosapien

Thank you Tom

Old 2009-07-05, 4:58pm

Thanks Marcel. I forgot to mention how cool your pendants are. I'll have to try not encasing.

Greg
Old 2010-01-06, 7:11pm

I been working with the glow sticks recently and all my deep encasing marbles seem to crack during annealing. Should I slow the ramp? Can I garage for 3 hours?
Old 2010-01-06, 9:47pm
Borovangelist

It doesn't like deep encasement when thick. The petals in my marble above were pretty thin, so it lived.

But the first picture here had a thick glow core and checked.
http://munkinarts.com/blog/2009/07/2...erweight-pt-2/

|
|
Old 2010-01-07, 11:57pm

Thanks for the reply. I was using a pretty thick coat. Let me try thin and see what comes out.
Old 2010-01-15, 8:45pm
Boro Brat

Ummm...I'm thinking I might need to make some glowing demented bunnies? Seriously...who could resist a cyclops bunny that glows? Hmmmmmmmmm...

Old 2010-01-17, 11:25am
No longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipyr View Post
Ummm...I'm thinking I might need to make some glowing demented bunnies? Seriously...who could resist a cyclops bunny that glows? Hmmmmmmmmm...
I know I want one.....trade Stix for said bunny?
Old 2010-01-17, 11:35am
Serenity Now!

Nice work! Sadly, I've got nothing to show, because despite sending a friendly PM to Joe with an Order, and despite a reminder PM, I never even received a reply. I'm certainly not going to BEG anybody to take my money...although it would've been nice to have the courtesy of a reply.....

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2010-01-17, 3:21pm
Borovangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the Moon View Post
Nice work! Sadly, I've got nothing to show, because despite sending a friendly PM to Joe with an Order, and despite a reminder PM, I never even received a reply. I'm certainly not going to BEG anybody to take my money...although it would've been nice to have the courtesy of a reply.....
I wouldn't totally give up on him, he's been trying to deal with some medical stuff lately. If nothing else, give him a call. He's usually pretty good about getting back to people.

|
|
Old 2010-01-17, 6:48pm
Astro Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipyr View Post

That is an awesome idea!!! bwahahah!!
Old 2010-01-17, 10:24pm
Boro Brat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glow Joe View Post
I know I want one.....trade Stix for said bunny?
Deal!

Old 2010-01-18, 4:16am
Serenity Now!

Thanks Tom ~ I'm a totally understanding kind of girl - but I'm talking about MANY, many moons ago.....long, long ago.

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2010-01-18, 8:35am
Borovangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the Moon View Post
Thanks Tom ~ I'm a totally understanding kind of girl - but I'm talking about MANY, many moons ago.....long, long ago.
Yikes!

|
|