Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-03-06, 10:43pm

Default Glass spirals?

Wow it has been awhile since ive been here! hi everyone

So what brings me back around to the glassy world is that i found these amazing earrings and i absolutely have to make myself some

However i just cant wrap my head around how to do it. Im thinking maybe a marble mold and upping the size of the mold a bit each turn or some really fantastic stringer control. Big problem is i need 2 of them the exact size. Any help would be lovely

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-03-06, 10:58pm

Hey Brandie,
I was just thinking about you. I was getting your emails for awhile then I did not get any more so I was wondering if you has stopped glass.

I have wondered about these before too. I also wonder how you would get them the same gauge too

Old 2010-03-06, 11:01pm

hi!
havent really stopped glass just took an extended break lol. played here and there and did a few shows this fall. long rough story but im working slowly to get back in the groove of things and super excited to learn how to do this

Old 2010-03-07, 12:24am

I can't wait to hear what people say. Do you have any idea how to do the gauge part?

Old 2010-03-07, 4:25pm

i have a wire gauge to get the size just right think im just gonna have to practice the spirals something fierce. might try the marble mold idea too. messed around with them a bit and mold works nice if i want the spirals with no gaps between lol

Old 2010-03-07, 4:44pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Perhaps making a jig out of copper, brass or stainless set into a base and then molding the glass around the jig by getting it just hot enough to move the glass.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-03-07, 8:04pm
Metallic Flame Studios

I've seen some similar but not as big... and in dichro, super sweet! Good to be back in LE wandering around. I miss everyone here... trying to get back in the groove too Brandie. I miss my glass and my glass sistas....

Kickin' it on a Knight, a Betta, a 'Cuda, and a SmithLittle with 3 Oxycons, Playing with Fire Since February 2004
Check out our new journey into Metal (yes, including tools) and glass...

Old 2010-03-07, 9:09pm
Megan's personal Sherpa

I think Squid has the right idea!

Flinging flaming frit at friends for fun!

Deb
Old 2010-03-07, 9:16pm
And silence is golden

I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with Brandie!
Old 2010-03-08, 7:24am
ManBearPig

You don't need a mold or jig or anything. You make those by hand using very gentle heat. I have made many of them (although not that size).

I gotta say though, the glass on that one is awfully small. I wouldn't feel safe wearing something that thin.

Old 2010-03-08, 7:44am

I agree with Cosmo, by hand. I'd pull the stringer, then using really gentle heat, bend the spiral. I don't think I would actually want to wear them though. Something to think about, if they are on opposite sides of your head, they don't have to be EXACTLY the same.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2010-03-08, 10:00am
Micromosaic and Lampwork

Here's a link to Lucio Bubacco's glass spiral technique:

http://www.luciobubacco.com/public/video/clip4.mpg

Old 2010-03-08, 6:49pm

thanks all yeah those are a kindof thin im gauged a bit larger so mine will be thicker if i can actually pull it off. have a feeling that as usual i think too much into things lol

Old 2010-03-09, 12:49am

I wonder if you could do them like you do with wire spirals. You could use a flat tweezer masher and heat and curl it around itself. I will have to give it a try when I can torch again. I would love to see what you come up with Brandi

Old 2010-03-09, 4:07am
Run Free Sweet Boy

I would use a ribbon burner... used to make spirals in the lab or for neon all the time... also a great way to make chain links

Candice

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."