Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-03-25, 6:21am

Default Boro color/oxycon

I hope Im not posting this to the wrong forum, if so my apologies in advance. I have a nortel midrange, and one 5 lpm oxycon. I'm able to work boro just fine, and have been really pleased untill I bought some triple passion, purple luster, blue exotic. The colors are all poo! I have the oportunity to get a 15 lpm/ near 15 psi this weekend for $450.00 Would this help with these striking colors? Also is that a good price? I got a steal on my 5 lpm. Thanks in advance. Sean
Old 2010-03-25, 7:01am
Pyromaniac

Yes, that's a good price, and yes, it will help you LOTS with your colors, if it performs as advertised. The minor is a surprisingly versatile torch and does great for smaller boro pieces, and can even be used to work hollow.

It's also possible that you're not working the colors correctly, in which case more oxy won't be as big of a help as it could be. What kind of problems are you having with your color? Explain what you're doing, and maybe post pictures of your results, maybe the boro doctors here can save you some money!

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2010-03-25, 8:04am

Chris,
Thanks for the advice. I'll post some pics later. I'm getting the exotic, and lusters white hot in an oxidizing flame. I'll cool it out of the flame for a bit, then intoduce it back into the flame way in the back. From what I understand I should start to see color developing but nothing happens. I was able to somewhat kiln strike my GA purple luster, but in the end it looked like a very creamy very light (almost white) purrple milkshake. I'm wondering if my flame is too reducing with the one 5lpm oxycon.
Sean
Old 2010-03-25, 10:39am
ManBearPig

The problem with concentrators is that the oxygen they put out isn't as pure as tanked oxygen, so your flame chemistry is off. It is possible to get decent colors with concentrators, but you usually end up running your flame so that it looks more oxidizing to get a true neutral flame.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-03-25, 11:36am

Cosmo, thanks! I really think the M15 might help
Old 2010-03-25, 12:06pm
ManBearPig

When I was running my MidRange, I ran it on 4 5LPM machines and it got a decent flame. About half what it was capable on tanked oxygen.

Old 2010-03-25, 12:51pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
When I was running my MidRange, I ran it on 4 5LPM machines and it got a decent flame. About half what it was capable on tanked oxygen.
Have you played with any of the higher output concentrators
that they are putting out now? I think the M20's and such?
I was looking into saving up for one of those, but wanted to
get some opinions from some boro workers before I shelled out.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2010-03-25, 1:29pm

Cosmo, do ustill have a DVD for sale? I thought at one time you did.
Old 2010-03-25, 8:32pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Hardy View Post
Have you played with any of the higher output concentrators
that they are putting out now? I think the M20's and such?
I was looking into saving up for one of those, but wanted to
get some opinions from some boro workers before I shelled out.
I ran a Hellcat on 3 M-20's at BeadFest a couple years ago. It worked okay, but was still not what it would have been on tanked oxygen.

In all honesty, I'm not a fan of concentrators. There are just too many compromises that come along with them. I understand that for some people they are the only option, but if you have the option of tanked oxygen, I would always recommend going with tanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean.m View Post
Cosmo, do ustill have a DVD for sale? I thought at one time you did.
It's not finished. It's on my list of stuff to do, but no ETA as of yet. I do have 3 books available though...

Old 2010-03-26, 7:06am
Pyromaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
The problem with concentrators is that the oxygen they put out isn't as pure as tanked oxygen, so your flame chemistry is off. It is possible to get decent colors with concentrators, but you usually end up running your flame so that it looks more oxidizing to get a true neutral flame.
I meant to suggest working smaller with more oxygen in the flame, and here Cosmo explains why very well. With the 5 LPM concentrator you're going to be very limited in the size you can work and still get decent color. The difference between tanked and concentrators seems almost irrelevant in soft glass, but when it comes to borosilicate, it makes a big difference. 2 M-15 concentrators seems to be the magic number for getting great color, according to what I've heard - but I manage to do OK on my 2 5 LPM setup as long as I respect the (fairly rigid) limits.

Unfortunately for me I tried doing some of the stuff I do on my concentrators on tanked and instantly got oxy envy - so much faster, colors stayed purty, etc, so now I'm switching to tanks. I'll still have the concentrators set up for one of the other torches, but...yeah, tanks are better.

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2010-03-26, 10:17am
Gay rights R human rights

I just got my scorpion hooked up and I did a compromise. When I am just running the inner fire doing soft glass, its hooked up to my m-15; i have a 125cf oxy tank for boro and running both the inner and outer flame. That way I'm not going through oxy like a hot knife through butter.

bravo torch with 2 ex20's