Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2008-05-22, 2:50pm
Glassy Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamn! View Post
Are they in your archived photos here?
No, I looked, they're not there and I haven't deleted any either. It's a mystery. Still waiting for Corri to get back to me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BHB/PANDORA EXCHANGE IN THE PATIO
Old 2008-05-22, 3:16pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexm View Post
No, I looked, they're not there and I haven't deleted any either. It's a mystery. Still waiting for Corri to get back to me.
If not in archived images then they were not uploaded to the site and there is no way I can get them. No pictures are deleted from the site. All images uploaded are saved so things like this do not happen. If you had them on photobucket or on your webpage or something that would explain it...

Old 2008-05-22, 3:41pm
Glassy Lady

I'll see if I can get my friend to take some pictures next time she's over.

BHB/PANDORA EXCHANGE IN THE PATIO
Old 2008-05-22, 8:34pm

a 2" marble I did some time back made from boro shards.
Attached Images

------------------------
Kobuki*Delta Elite*Mirage*Blast Shields*two DeVilbiss 5 LPM* tanks* foot pedal.
Old 2008-05-22, 9:30pm
Superkitty

That's beautiful, Murf!
Old 2008-05-27, 6:34am
Run Free Sweet Boy

HI,

I may have a useful hint for folks here. I have done furnace glass, so I take that knowlege to the torch when making shards.

I start with a smaller amount of glass and get a small buble started and give it a little puff and get it rounded out with a fairly thick wall. Then I add a second layer of glass, anf follow the rest of the instructions you are already given. But I do tend to keep y mini blow pipe level or even tilted slightly up when I start to blowthe bubble so the glass does not elongate and get thin too soon.

Something the furnace folks do is, they dip the ppe into the crucible of glass, and then place thier thumb overthe end of the pipe and allow the hot air to expand and start a tiny bubbe. A mini pipe doesnt have enough volume of air for this. But if you start out with a small amount of glass on the mini pipe if by chance the bubble does collapse, you can blow and get a SMALL bubble started again. If you have a large amount of glass on the pipe, you cant. Then once they have a straight small bubble started, with a thick wall, they dip the pipe again in the glass to begin to get the volume of glass they want on the end of the blow pipe. This is also te time when you "set the neck" basically marver the neck area a bit to be sure you are on center. It will be a slightly thicker, and be cooler as you reheat and help you stay in control better.

you may find that adding glass in several stages gives you a more even wall thickness, and a more ven blow out with more useable shards

hope this helps

Candice
Old 2008-06-20, 11:54pm
DieGlasperle

Hallo!

I also make a Shardsbead!

I like it!
Old 2008-06-20, 11:57pm
DieGlasperle

And once more

The first pic is copper natural ... the second is patined by Heparsulfur!
Old 2008-10-01, 9:41am
Lover of Life

Wow, cool beans!

"Your dreams are waiting for you to come true."
Old 2008-11-02, 8:36pm
Help i am on fire

i got my blow pipe yesterday and mastered shards today. okay i am bragging. it feels so good. problem. i am having one heck of a time applying the shards. they seem to want to ball up or they shatter when touch hot glass or slowly melt close to flame. any hints.
plus want to thank all for help w/ shards. the tut. on this site was amazing.thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge. i am so grateful.
Old 2008-11-03, 12:32pm

Thank you. I am a newbie (very newbie) so I try to learn as much as possible from all of you. I appreciate any help at all. I am working with 104coe now, but would like to know where I can get small amout of silver and gold frit to try. I have seen beads with it applied to them and think they are beautiful. Again, thank you for you explanation and help. Linda
Old 2008-11-03, 1:01pm

Just a few hints about using the shards. If they are balling up before you apply them, they are getting too much heat. If they are shattering when touched to the base bead, they have not been pre-warmed. I have success when I pick the shards up with my tweezers and flash them through the outer reaches of the flame a few times before making a warm spot on the base bead and then touching the shard to that spot. I keep out in the cooler part of the flame, or along the edge of the flame where some ambient heat spills off (depends on which torch), letting the shard wilt onto the bead. Sometimes all little gentle pressure with a tool is necessary to attach the shard to the surface, but not always.
Remember, the longer the bead is in the flame, the more completely the shard will melt in.
Good luck and keep practicing.
Joan
Old 2008-11-04, 3:39pm
Help i am on fire

thank you papimom
Old 2009-02-18, 8:12pm
Cali4nia baby

BRENT ?? The tutorial is still not working please can you send it to me or post it aain ? thank you so much !!!
Old 2009-02-18, 10:26pm

Michael those are pretty beads!
Murf I love the depth in your marble!

I must have missed this thread when it popped back up!

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2009-06-24, 12:42am

Old 2010-09-07, 12:25pm

Thank you so much for your info. I read your tutorial and went right out to the studio. I was able to blow a 4 inch bubble of glass on the first try, but had to run around the studio looking for something to break it into. It came out fine and I have been experimenting with silver and Double Helix. You got me over my shard fear.

Old 2010-10-01, 6:18am
Formerly FishBulb

Very cool tutorial, thank you! The things I find when I just browse around on here.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.