No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-07-16, 4:07am

Default lustre finish permanant?

HI
I've been experimenting with lustre finish on some beads. I've used stringer to make a design and then reduced it to get a coppery sort of look. I showed thenm to my husband and his first thought was, will that wear off over time??? Now, I'm wondering, will it wear off? Just wondered if anyone else has ever wondered about this too!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-07-16, 4:17am

Mindy
That never crossed my mind. hmmmm? I know if I try and etch a bead with a small amount of luster on it,the luster seems to dissappear
Liz R

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MADE IN THE U.S.A.

Lead me not into temptation, Oh hell follow me I know a short cut
Old 2008-07-16, 4:24am

Hmmmm. THats what I was thinking that it was essentially just coating the bead but I'm not sure how thick or permanant that coating is. I wish My husband didnt ask me such puzzling questions!!!

Old 2008-07-16, 5:42am

It'll be interesting to see answers to this question. I posted one similar a year or so ago. It seems like the reduction surface (mirror finishes) would be prone to oxidation over time - like sterling. But then again, since lots of them are silver, it's essentially fine silver on the surface, and would be more stable??

I do have a couple newbie beads that are ~18 months old that were luster glass. The were nice and shiny when I made them. Since then, they've been in with other beads, and they're not as shiny any more.

Anybody else still have some older luster beads? How have they held up?
Old 2008-07-16, 6:06am
tinkmartin.etsy.com

When the Bullseye lustres first came out a few years ago, loss of finish was my second thought. My first thought was, "Oooh! Shiny!!!"

So I made a simple tabular bead from one of the lustres, then put it on a loop of ball chain and hung it on the outside of my purse. It has been banged around and bashed and rubbed on things for years now, and there has been no noticeable change in the finish.

Also Available in
: my Electroforming for Everyone booklet.

Old 2008-07-16, 6:35am

Maybe a silly question but, if they do dull, could they be polished to bring the shine back or tumbled?

granny
Old 2008-07-16, 8:55am
Glass-aholic

dont tumble it! you can pit it and or take it right off.
I have noticed that they react with some metals. Especially in my key beads i see the reaction happen. some cleaners will take the shine right off too. denture cleaner, viniger, some others too.
Silver plum is really bad at loosing the shiny stuff even with body oils.

they look weird, old.... hard to describe. they can start to feel rough too.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2008-07-16, 9:53am

Some will wear off.
I've been thinking alot lately about this as I play with the new silver glass.

I would like to know how glass blowing reduction glass can be so durable.
Is it because the reduction layer is much thicker?
For example Lallique, Tiffany, Durand type art glass, that has withstood years of use
and still maintain their luster and metallic qualities.

How can we make sure that our beads will look good years from now using
reduction glass as a surface decoration?

Old 2008-07-16, 10:00am
tinkmartin.etsy.com

This kind of effect ---

is achieved in a totally different way. I'm on my way out the door, or I'd find the link to a great video from Corning on the subject.

Also Available in
: my Electroforming for Everyone booklet.

Old 2008-07-16, 10:18am

Yes, a lot of them use stannous chloride as an iridescent.
It doesn't seem to change much over time.

Old 2008-07-16, 1:58pm
Glass Hive Kiln Tech.

Horrible stuff, but beautiful!

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
Old 2008-07-16, 4:39pm

I had a hematite finish from some black (in the rod) Satake glass, and while it hasn't rubbed off where I tried the "thumb test", the hematite part that rubs against my body has worn back to black.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2008-07-16, 4:44pm
Entropy increasing....

Instead of a key ring I have an antique skeleton key with two copper ruby beads that slide around on the key. They still look shiny.
Old 2008-07-16, 4:50pm
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

I just read something a couple of days ago that DSP colors will rub off with time.

Vivian

-

Old 2008-07-17, 7:55pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

DSP colors will come off if the beads are left in water for over 3 hours - chemicals in the water eat the metals right off....same thing with people with more uric acid in their systems. That said, the shards seem to hold their color best.

Old 2008-07-18, 4:58am

Hmm, that's a thought Amber. My lustre beads are OK, but I don't react with metal jewellery. My old school friend tarnishes anything she wears, except high carat gold! I wonder if lustre beads would survive long if she wore them?

Old 2008-07-19, 6:31am
one day at a time

I had wondered about this for years, so that's why I never bothered to make beads with the lustre finish. But after what Tink wrote about the Bullseye lustres, I've changed my mind!
Old 2008-07-21, 3:12am

Hi Mindy

I'm like Lisi - I don't bother with the lustre finishes because I used some Silver Plum a while ago and after I'd cleaned them I was lightly drying them with a towel and realised that some of the lustre came off. I got the towel and rubbed the rest of the beads and sure enough the whole lot of lustre came off.

Maybe the SP is worse than others?
Old 2008-07-22, 2:07pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel_D View Post
Maybe the SP is worse than others?
Seems like it is!

Another thing I thought about a long time ago was that I would have hated to have made a set of beads that a customer complains about a year or so later when all the shiny stuff wore off! Like GP and SP plated junk jewelry ends up looking after a while!