LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-05-17, 4:01pm
Contessa Glass

Default Effetre Handmade Purple - not behaving??

I tried a handmade color today in soft glass and it's not doing what it should or should I say it's not doing what I expected it to do.

Until this point I've only worked with pastel and transparents in moretti without too many problems. Do these handmade colors act differently in the flame? I made several basic round beads today with the handmade purple and I'm consistently getting areas of light purple near the bead holes with pit marks and dark purple along the center. And while its in the flame, it appears dull almost like it's etched or something. Why do you think this is happening and what is the correct way to work with this glass?

Thanks,
Lynn
Old 2006-05-17, 5:26pm

handmade purple is called edp (evil devitrifying purple) and it is something that will take quite a bit of reading on. you might try searching the forums.... I am not even gonna attempt to touch this one.. LOL but it is doing what it supposed to

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-05-17, 8:19pm
Just me

The purple is devitrifying. The crystals in the glass are coming to the surface. It likes to be worked hot or kept cool but not in between. When you see the devitrification just put the bead back in the flame and get it hot again. Reheating redistributes the crystals and I've even heard of people getting the EDP hot then blowing on it to bring out more of the purple color.

Shoot, here's a thread that will help better than I seem to be:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...hreadid=120817

Here's a post with a explanation of what devitrifying is :
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...31&postcount=4

Another thing about EDP is it reacts with lots of colors and breaks them up, pushes them around or causes a line in the center of stringer decorations. Like pea green, turquoise, white, and several others, (just pastels as far as I know). This can be really cool or really frustrating depending on what you're after. Lol.
Here's a pic of what I'm talking about. All the purple in there is EDP.

Hope that helped. Play around with it, it's a fun color.
Good luck!

Old 2006-05-18, 2:01am

Evil Purple earned it's name! But you can do some awesome stuff with it once you tame it. It needs to come out of the flame still hot, and not go back in unless it's taken all the way back to orange (at least that's how I work it, but I'm not an expert....Ingrid, where are you??? ) Ingrid calls it SDP, Sweet Dreamy Purple.

Here are a couple of sets using EDP:

Old 2006-05-18, 4:50am
Contessa Glass

Your bead pics are awesome guys!

No wonder I couldn't find anything in the search forums, I was looking up "handmade purple", not "EDP". I'll do a new search. I can't wait to try it out again today!
Old 2006-05-18, 4:52am
Cherine Perrin Glass

Welcome to the wonderfull world of EDP. You can get some cool reactions with it or it can be a real pain in the booty. Sonja is right, it likes to be kept HOT! Here is a set with it.....

Good Luck,

Cherine

My Etsy shop: https://
face="Verdana">Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/CherinePerrinLampwork/
Old 2006-05-18, 5:27am
Back from the Dark Side

Ah, welcome to the love/hate relationship of edp

It does not like to be flashed thru the flame. One thing i have learned is the devit will go away when you heat it fully. Make your bead, ignore the devit, then heat it until the devit goes away, let it cool a bit and stick it in the kiln!

~
~
~
Steal List - 48, 50, 60, 32, and 29 for now
Old 2006-05-18, 9:03am
Just me

Oh man that just figures. I showed an old mediocre set I made just because I had the pic and it had EDP in it, then you guys come in and show some really great beads.

Beautiful beads Sonya and Cherine!

Old 2006-05-18, 9:54am
Glassy Lady

EDP is one of my favorite colors, but it can be a stinker. Devitrification happens when you bob the bead in and out of the flame while you decorate a bead made with Effetre purple. Just ignore it until you are done decorating, then let the bead cool until you don't see any glow. Reintroduce the bead into the hottest part of the flame and heat it to orange, you can actually see the bead returning to a nice shine in the flame. Make sure you direct some heat around the bead holes to chase the devitrification out of there too. Once you have the surface evenly molten and the devit has gone away, take the bead out of the flame and keep it out.

If you have beads with devitrification, an easy way to "fix" it is to etch the set. Purple looks gorgeous etched.

BHB/PANDORA EXCHANGE IN THE PATIO
Old 2006-05-18, 9:59am
Floral Obsessed

Yep yep! What everyone has said here. EPD is an awesome colour once you get the hang of it. It's VERY reactive with some colours - most warm opaques, ivory, mosaic green (tends to go fairly brown because you NEED to work it hot). It's very pretty with opal yellow. It majorly condenses/repels blues, greens and violets for fun geometric effects. It's very hard to sculpt with EDP or add raised details on top of it because of its aversion to being just "warmish". Though Loco uses it for lips all the time! But that's Loco. Start with simple rounds with EDP decoration in the middle (since it's hardest to avoid hole-side devit). Enjoy!!! -H.
Old 2006-05-18, 10:15am

I just decorate my bead and when it is finished, keeping the bead in the flame and roll my mandrel ( I work in the middle of a 12"mandrel) towards me and chase the defit around the bead and it is gone. Peg M
Old 2006-05-18, 10:21am
Contessa Glass

OOhh etching! what a great idea...I've never etched yet, but I have a bottle of Dip & Etch and I think I'll try it out. I did a few more today and made sure I heated the heck out of them until they looked "wet" before cooling & getting them into the kiln, so in a few hours I'll know how they turned out!
Old 2006-05-19, 8:54pm

How does it look encased? I have a pound of it, but I don't think I have tried it but once for adding a few dots. I am doing mostly boro now, but I may go back to softglass for the summer since I can work with a much smaller flame and keep the studio cooler. Plus, I am getting the itch to do some murrine components.

Eric
Old 2006-05-20, 7:15am
Back from the Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by e. mort
How does it look encased? I have a pound of it, but I don't think I have tried it but once for adding a few dots. I am doing mostly boro now, but I may go back to softglass for the summer since I can work with a much smaller flame and keep the studio cooler. Plus, I am getting the itch to do some murrine components.

Eric
It looks more pink when encased, and it loses the multi-tones.

~
~
~
Steal List - 48, 50, 60, 32, and 29 for now