Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

View Poll Results: Who do you think is the BEST glass vendor?
Arrow Springs 213 19.02%
CR & Loo, Inc 17 1.52%
Frantz Art Glass 421 37.59%
Howaco Glass 147 13.13%
islandglass!!! 88 7.86%
Jo-Del Glass 47 4.20%
LBSupplies 113 10.09%
Moretti and More 208 18.57%
Sundance Art Glass 38 3.39%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-08-07, 2:24pm
Storm Queen

I don't believe this thread was ever locked. That was the Rubino thread. This got revived because someone voted in the poll.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-08-07, 2:35pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Oh gotcha. Thanks Amy... I was wondering wtf was going on when Jamie posted. I had a minor freak out and thought my hell was starting all over again.

Old 2011-11-21, 7:07am

I have hade excellent service with Devardi Glass, plus their Intense Black and Indian Marbled Grey & Butterscotch glass is really cool. The rods are a bit odd\chunky and shocky, but they warn of this on the web site, the service from them has always been excellent and fast.
Old 2011-12-17, 8:53am

Jo-Del doesn't exist anymore.....

Elyart
Old 2012-01-12, 4:12am
Run Free Sweet Boy

and there are suppliers missing like art glass house and ABR

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2012-01-16, 6:36am

Some of the listings have a little to do with location, too. Also if this thread is to stay alive, then the vendors no longer in business could be removed ?

Duane

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

Old 2012-01-16, 5:30pm

I have a question but I'm not sure where to put it-- this thread is old, i see, and maybe there was a lot of crazy politics somewhere in there.... but my question is sort of related...

I was wondering, when you buy effetre/moretti or CIM glass from a vendor, can you expect the glass to be the same from vendor to vendor? I got some CIM glass for Christmas, then i purchased some different CIM colors from another vendor. These seem very stiff relative to the other glass, but it's probably just the different properties of the new colors I chose, right? (This time went with celadon, dirty martini, kryptonite, and copper green). The other reason i ask is that with this new vendor the rods seem all different thicknesses, while the previous vendor sent rods that all had similar diameters.
I'm curious-- how is the glass supplied to the vendors--- are they "pulling" these rods themselves?? Really just curious. Would love to hear more from someone who knows!

Thanks!

I'm having so much fun melting glass that I have actually started wearing jewelry!

Old 2012-02-26, 1:53pm
Tweedle Dumb

I was under the impression that CIM pre packages their bundles. Mine are always wrapped in 1/4 pound bundles regardless of the amount I order... like if I order a pound I get 4 tissue wrapped bundles of 1/4 pound. So I don't think it is the vendor doing the pulling

Thickness does vary. I've got 3-6mm rods in the same bundle. It's all glass, it all melts. I don't think much of it.

Some glass does work stiffer than others, particularly transparent glass and semi transparent glass.

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2012-02-26, 6:46pm
Loving learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by llelkin View Post
then i purchased some different CIM colors from another vendor. These seem very stiff relative to the other glass, but it's probably just the different properties of the new colors I chose, right? (This time went with celadon, dirty martini, kryptonite, and copper green).

Thanks!
Some glass is hand pulled, and those seem to me to vary more in thickness. Copper green is hand pulled and an Effetre glass. Don't know about the dirty martini, kryptonite or celadon, I think they are CIM.
Old 2012-02-29, 11:48am

The sellers get the glass from the manufacturer, The thickness of the rods is dependent on the batch. If you order for example CIM Sangre from howaco and franz it should be exactly the same in terms of color and consistency but not necessiarly in rod diameter. Some glasses especially the pinks and corals from Moretti vary greatly in color from batch to batch.

Hope that helps

Caroline
Old 2012-03-01, 5:39pm

Thanks-- yes, the copper green varied the most in thickness-- makes sense that it's hand pulled. Just curious really...

I'm having so much fun melting glass that I have actually started wearing jewelry!

Old 2012-03-06, 2:12pm
Loving learning

llelkin,
this post explains a bit about hand pulled/machine pulled differences:

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showpo...4&postcount=45
Old 2012-03-19, 5:51pm

Thanks Eileen!

Old 2012-03-21, 10:21am

I think Mountain Glass Art (Asheville, NC) could be added to the list. They are the most personable, delightful, helpful, and caring supplier in my area. Always a joy to shop there.

"All true artists, whether they know it or not, create from a place of no-mind, from inner stillness."
Eckhart Tolle

Cathy[/font]
Old 2012-03-21, 4:06pm
Nikki Haverstock

They can't add to the poll. It is a super old thread and seems to do nothing but cause heartache and strife lol

Old 2012-03-22, 4:36am

Thanks Nikki, I knew they couldn't Really add MGA to the list. Just wanted to give a 'Shout-Out' to their good efforts. It' all good.

"All true artists, whether they know it or not, create from a place of no-mind, from inner stillness."
Eckhart Tolle

Cathy[/font]
Old 2012-03-22, 5:47am
Nikki Haverstock

Ok, after I posted it occurred to me that maybe that was what you meant. I am always thinking of stuff like 30 minutes too late. Oh well.

Old 2012-03-22, 8:39am

All I'm going to comment on in this post is how one of a lot of members' favorites is quickly going down hill in my book. (NO, I won't mention names)

Duane

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

Old 2012-03-25, 2:30pm
Triumphantly Knit!

Most of the time I get cim in the cute little bundles, but I have also gotten it without the little packets from which vendor I don't remember.

I love mga, also, great follow up.

I like the little paper packets, it makes it seem, how should I say, like more care went into the delivery to the customer, the presentation.

I also think, even if it isn't true, I think it keeps the scratching down. And alot of marketing is presentation and what the customer 'thinks'.

namaste
Rowyn

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
Old 2012-04-24, 2:38pm
Practicing perfect

I don't have much experience with most of these suppliers. I also don't see The Mandrel on here. I have ordered from Frantz & Arrow Springs, but not a whole lot.
I don't feel I'm qualified to vote so I will come back when the poll closes and check it out.

Old 2012-04-24, 3:31pm
Loving learning

This is an old thread, I don't think there is a closing date on it. You're right though, there are some great suppliers that are not on there, maybe because it's old?
Old 2012-04-26, 12:12pm

I just made my first order and i spent A LOT of time shopping around. For what i needed i think howaco was best but i think i must of driven JamiLynn crazy when she put my order together. I ordered one rod of about 30 different colors lol i get to play soon

My name is Joy, but my friends call me Duckie
Shhh, i'm hiding from my boss

})I({
})I({
})I({
Old 2012-04-27, 6:19pm

I think most of us did that with our first order. It is so much fun to try them all out and see what works best for you.
Old 2012-05-05, 7:40pm

Kerry from Affordable Inspirations in Tasmania, Australia, is awesome !!!!!! replies swiftly and puts up with all my weird questions, handles it well when I keep changing my mind and even helps my daughter to pick me out birthday pressies !!! not bad eh !!!!!!! service is fast, reputable and reliable...... and she will match or better any honest prices you can find !!
Old 2012-05-18, 3:12pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryf6 View Post
Kerry from Affordable Inspirations in Tasmania, Australia, is awesome !!!!!! replies swiftly and puts up with all my weird questions, handles it well when I keep changing my mind and even helps my daughter to pick me out birthday pressies !!! not bad eh !!!!!!! service is fast, reputable and reliable...... and she will match or better any honest prices you can find !!
I concur. She puts up with my stupid questions, too!

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2012-07-15, 5:24am

i didn't see Mountain Glass on the list, i usually use them. ended up voting for Frantz as he's a close 2nd...really i guess i like them both equally..
Old 2012-07-29, 2:26pm

worst ever glast craft
best ever ABR
Old 2012-08-04, 1:28am
Everybody Needs Beads!

I've ordered from almost everyone on the list (and everyone not on the list) and never had any problems but I know that when I order from Moretti and More ( FYI--they get their glass from Frantz) it's almost like INSTANT gratification. I really don't know how they do it sometimes! And they only ever charge actual shipping which is SO nice. And I just love them.

Beadygirlt. on

Old 2013-11-27, 12:46pm
Must..have..more...glass

Must...have...more...glass...
Old 2013-12-01, 7:03am
Angie09

Mountain Glass....fabulous customer service and quick delivery. The people working there are easy to talk with, helpful and won my business!