LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-12-18, 1:16pm
one day at a time

Default Which frit can be used on yellow??

In my 10 years of making frit beads there is one base color I have never bothered with much. The opaque or transparent yellows. By transparent yellow, I mean that bright electric yellow and this transparent core yellow that I think is Vetrofond. I think of them like ivory, which can turn out some really mucky shades of ugly when used with frit. I do use opal yellow which is beautiful with frit, but it's not in the same color family as the "cadmium" yellows.

Which frit can be used on yellow and not turn to grey-brown mud? If you don't mind sharing, I would really appreciate it. Then I can use some of this yellow I have for something other than spacers.

Last edited by Lisi; 2012-12-18 at 1:19pm.
Old 2012-12-18, 1:24pm
sunscreen me baby

I never use frit on yellow. I had a set I sold my first year that arrived to the customer completely hazed. She showed me a picture and I was horrified. Ever since I have always added yellow to frit mixes if I want yellow.

No help, am I? lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-12-18, 1:45pm

I used to like Raku on that bright electric yellow. But that was when I was working on the hot head.

I think the trick might be, not to over work/heat it.

Custard...it's just like hot icecream!
Old 2012-12-18, 3:42pm
I'm a lilac!

Any frit that doesn't turn to yuck on ivory will also work on yellow... you're looking for frits that don't react to cadmium sulphide, which is intensely reactive with almost all metals, so that rules out most furnace frits and any color that contains lead, copper, or silver (unless you want the reaction). Your best bet are probably Effetre frits, avoiding turquoise, rubino, EDP, and copper green.

Old 2012-12-18, 4:04pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
I never use frit on yellow. I had a set I sold my first year that arrived to the customer completely hazed. She showed me a picture and I was horrified. Ever since I have always added yellow to frit mixes if I want yellow.

No help, am I? lol
Oh yes, you are helping me out here! Just by confirming my belief that using frit with yellow there are going to be few choices!

Thanks Nicole, I will be hooking the HH back up soon so I will try that. Kalera, I was thinking that maybe Effetre frit would be best, and I can make my own as soon as I find the frit maker in the pile of burned rubble that was my studio at my mom's. It was heavy steel so at the worse, it may just be rusty and in need of a good steel wool scrubbing.

Last edited by Lisi; 2012-12-18 at 4:08pm.
Old 2012-12-18, 4:05pm
Lampworkaholic!

I designed my Starstruck blend to work well with yellows and oranges.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/11330209...lampwork-glass

Free shipping too until the end of December.

Liz

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox

Last edited by Elizabeth Beads; 2013-09-19 at 5:52pm.
Old 2012-12-18, 4:10pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Beads View Post
I designed my Starstruck blend to work well with yellows and oranges.
That's beautiful! Added to my next frit purchase list!
Old 2012-12-18, 6:39pm
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
Any frit that doesn't turn to yuck on ivory will also work on yellow... you're looking for frits that don't react to cadmium sulphide, which is intensely reactive with almost all metals, so that rules out most furnace frits and any color that contains lead, copper, or silver (unless you want the reaction). Your best bet are probably Effetre frits, avoiding turquoise, rubino, EDP, and copper green.
Thank you Kalera that was a great post and really shows why it is important to know your glass chemistry.
Old 2012-12-18, 8:19pm

Question, Kalera...Since a number of the furnace glass colors are being redesigned without lead do you think that gives more leeway to working them with yellow or ivory perhaps? How might that affect other long standing color combination choices?

Andrea
Old 2012-12-19, 3:59pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

What I have been wondering lately is what base color can yellow frit go on and not be completely washed out and disappear?

~
~

#M-191
Old 2012-12-19, 4:42pm
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyssa View Post
What I have been wondering lately is what base color can yellow frit go on and not be completely washed out and disappear?
Depending on the shade of yellow, black.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-12-22, 10:31pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine Chandler View Post
Thank you Kalera that was a great post and really shows why it is important to know your glass chemistry.
Knowing glass chemistry has been absolutely crucial for me! Having a functioning knowledge of glass coloring and chemical reactions has been invaluable for frit mixing and color combinations.

I so so much recommend that anyone, Bullseye user or not, check out Bullseye's "Torch Tips" booklet. It's short, easy to understand, and will give even a total novice reader an elementary working understanding of basic glass chemistry.

Old 2012-12-22, 10:35pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamsincolor View Post
Question, Kalera...Since a number of the furnace glass colors are being redesigned without lead do you think that gives more leeway to working them with yellow or ivory perhaps? How might that affect other long standing color combination choices?

Andrea
That is such a great question!

I think that lead-free furnace glass will open doors in some areas but close others... lead makes the glass more versatile in terms of working with glasses of slightly different COE, but then, it will be possible to use lead-free glass with colors that react to lead.

Old 2012-12-22, 10:47pm
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

You remember that "banana yellow" color Jodel sold a few years ago? It was a Lauscha color. I tried to dilute it with white & see if it would get lighter. It ended up turning even more yellow. Yellow is a strange color and baffles me.

Vivian

-

Old 2012-12-23, 7:32am
I love glass!

I also have a stockpile of yellow that I'm not using a lot. I'm thinking of putting a very thin layer of clear encasement over the yellow and then applying frit. Has anyone else tried this?

Love, live, learn and laugh every day!

Old 2012-12-23, 7:39am

This was one of my homemade blends and if memory serves me right, it was oranges, reds and some gray thrown in. It might not be the yellow base you're thinking about but it was a yellow base.

Might have had some white in that blend as well. It was basic colors.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2012-12-23, 10:39am
I'm a lilac!

I like multicolor dark and raku on yellow.