No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-01-24, 6:12pm
Mr G

Cool what to do with a HH

ive been messin round on a hothead for a little while now and im runnin out of ideas for making new beads and marbles. i just learned the implosion trick and i do a lot of wig wags and other simple twists and tweaks but im gettin bored with them. i would like to find some good tutorials or just some new ideas.oh and how the hell does one make those cool galaxy marbles? if any1 could help it wouldd b awesome.
thnks a bunch from the alaskan glasshole
Old 2008-01-24, 7:12pm
More ideas than talent

Check out the tutorials section.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-01-24, 7:35pm

Hey, Amber has great luck with her Hot Head doing beads with Dark Silver Plum shards on them.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ghlight=shards
Old 2008-01-24, 8:15pm

You can pretty much do anything except boro work on it (Yes, I *know* Nikki & a few others have proven they *can* make 2mm spacers of boro on theirs, but I'm not *that* insane!!)
~luna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2008-01-24, 9:40pm

Ahem. The largest of the three boro beads I kept is 12.35mmX4.72mm. Pshaw.

Brian and I have both made 104 COE implosions on them - on and off mandrel. (Brian's looks better. *sigh* His third freakin' try on the torch.)

I do 99% of my work on my Hot Head - the rest is when I visit the Boogers - and wonderful things can happen if you're patient.

Good luck!

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2008-01-25, 1:27pm

Sorry. I've don't OWN one of your boro beads (rofl) so I didn't have one on hand to MEASURE!!!

I do know you've made sculpture over 2" & some pretty darn honkin' large hollows though

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2008-01-25, 1:31pm

You tell, her, Lyn. You need a Nikki boro bead.... wait! I owe Nikki a BIG VOTE of thanks right now... I can't be nice to you! Lyn-- don't be so mean to Nikki!

Nikki- thanks for the presents... I'm kinda slow but I have something in mind to say thank you to you....

Oops, hijacked this thread. Hooter, try different dots and designs... for me, looking thru the daily galleries and seeing what others were doing inspired me to try different techniques. Try frit. Try lines. Try for color reactions... trust me, there's tons of things you can do on a hothead. Play, relax, learn and enjoy.

Welcome to our madness!

All the best,

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2008-01-25, 6:32pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunamoonshadow View Post
Sorry. I've don't OWN one of your boro beads (rofl) so I didn't have one on hand to MEASURE!!!

I do know you've made sculpture over 2" & some pretty darn honkin' large hollows though
SRSLY? I thought I sent you all but 3 of them.... And I have a little off-mandrel boro leaf in clear and purple that's supposed to go to you... But you'd better be nice. (It's not a GOOD boro leaf, mind you...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue in Maine View Post
You tell, her, Lyn. You need a Nikki boro bead.... wait! I owe Nikki a BIG VOTE of thanks right now... I can't be nice to you! Lyn-- don't be so mean to Nikki!

Nikki- thanks for the presents... I'm kinda slow but I have something in mind to say thank you to you....
Glad you like, no thanks needed, just enjoy!

~:
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2008-01-25, 11:28pm

Um....I dunno....I think I'd be wearing them or have 'em on my keychain or somethin' if I had 'em? (talk about hijacking yet another thread )

Akhooterville--you can have some fun with the Terra Odds from Double Helix if you like silver glass & random weird striking glasses (it's a challenge!), & your budget allows too--I've found the Terra to be the easiest to work on the hothead--Gaia is pretty dreamy too!
Hollows are gorgeous in transparents, and I just started trying to figure out vessels & blowing shards (ok, they start as vessels, end up as shards when they fail!) last week--those are fun too!
Mary Moth used to make her jellyfish/aquarium beads on her hothead (now she's upgraded)--those are pretty amazing--I know there's a tutorial for the basic undersea bead somewhere either here or on WC! that she posted a long time ago....
~luna

Old 2008-01-27, 9:51pm
burnin' glass just becuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhootervile View Post
ive been messin round on a hothead for a little while now and im runnin out of ideas for making new beads and marbles. i just learned the implosion trick and i do a lot of wig wags and other simple twists and tweaks but im gettin bored with them. i would like to find some good tutorials or just some new ideas.oh and how the hell does one make those cool galaxy marbles? if any1 could help it wouldd b awesome.
thnks a bunch from the alaskan glasshole
maybe try some longer focal beads or sculptural work? the HH flame is so bushy it provides good ambient heat for those two techniques.

also if you pick up corina's book Passing the flame (it includes a technique for galaxy beads) or Cindy jenkins books Beads of glass there is a really awesome range of bead styles and tuts in both books.

another option may be to look for inspiration outside the world of glass. right now my current inspiration is paintings. i find a painting i like online and try to create something with a similar mood or colours or style. i find it usually sends me off in a new direction and helps me to develop certain new skills.

lastly (and this is not for everyone) maybe try custom orders. now of course, not everyone likes them or can function with them but for me i find them rejuvenating since they really push me far outside my comfort zone and make me try things it probably otherwise would never have occured to me to attempt. i'm constantly amazed at the things people ask me to make and how freely they accept my version of their vision, plus thier requests keep me from getting bored ...lol.

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2008-02-19, 4:20pm
Mr G

Default thnks fer the ideas

well all the ideas deffinetly give me a new direction to head in. ive done boro work for a few yrs andam tryin to use a lot of those techniques with the soft stuff and it seems tob doin well but ill def. have to check out some of the ideas you guys have presented me .thnks for your help and time. ill get back on here and let ya know how i do . once again thank you