No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-11-17, 10:52pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Default Divitrifying Effetre Murrini

Here was the original problem posted by Karen (Desert Dreamer) in the bathroom:

What is EDM, you may ask? Evil Devitrifying Murrini, of course. Hmm, maybe that should be EEDM, since it's the Effetre stuff that's kicking my butt.

I'm pretty good at getting a dab of clear on a small slice before it runs amok, but what the heck do you do with the slices that have white on the outside? I want to place them, dab them, then melt them flat-ish, if I can (instead of letting them close in), but I keep getting devit in unexpected places.

I swear I'm ready to just grind it up into the confetti I used to use.

Any words of wisdom? I have a lot of the darned stuff, I hate to waste it.

My answer:

I've had that same problem.

I have lots of the murrini with white in it and I've been forcing myself to work with it lately to see how to get around the devit problem.

I've BTDT with trying the dot of clear on the top. Doesn't work - it will devit right under the clear.

So - I've embarked on making candy jacks (three murrini applied on a bead then cased with a bubble of glass) out of just the black and white murrini I have.

I don't preheat the murrini I just wave them through the flame a few times to warm them. I get the spot on the bead red hot then I set the murrini on there.

This is key - try not to put the murrini back in the flame. Keep the bead warm behind the flame. Melt a bunch of clear to drippy consistency on the end of your clear rod. Drip the glass on the murrini and swoop all around the outside of it to encase the whole thing. Let it set up before working with it any further. For the candy jacks with multiple murrini on one bead you must completely case each murrini before setting the next one.

Also, I've found if I do get any devit before encasing I just get rid of it with a sharp oxidizing flame and proceed as outlined above.

I am now a proud owner of a candy jack that has three white and black Italian murrini on it. It's mine because I missed a spot at the base of one of the murrini but there is no devit on it at all. And, one of the murrini is one of those that is a multiple bullseye pattern that usually ends up smeared all over the place - but not this one.

The main thing is - keep those black and white murrini cold! And, I'm not working with tiny ones either. The one that I just finished has 6mm murrini in it.

Also - these murrini are left raised under the casing. I've had others that I have melted flat - mainly the pink ones - they devit something awful also! You need to go slow and work very, very cool!

Hope this helps!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-11-18, 1:06am

I would like to see a picture of that candy jack necklace
Old 2010-11-18, 6:50am
Formerly FishBulb

Thank you for posting this, MaryBeth! I have several ounces of these damn things so I'm glad to be able to possibly use them after all.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2010-11-18, 12:49pm
Ad astra per aspera

I had my first go at this, this morning! No devit, but man are they wonky! LOL I know it's going to be PPP to get the right amount of hot clear on top, but at least I feel like I'm on the right road. I tried two, today, with moderate(-ish) success. I'll post them later if everyone promises not to laugh. The first one was huge and the second was...odd. One slice cracked just after I placed it, so it's kind of weird. BUT I tried a little experiment, since the slices were white and clear, and put them on a dot of transparent cobalt blue. The overall effect is cool, even Danica said so!

Old 2010-11-18, 1:05pm
novembersfyre everywhere

I'm so glad you are getting there! That's the other part of these that is so frustrating - that white that's in these murrini is really soft. If you hit it with just a little too much heat - it's all over!

I'm taking pictures now - I'll post in a little while!

Angie - you are so funny - several ounces - ha! I have pounds!

Old 2010-11-18, 1:11pm
Formerly FishBulb

Pounds! You must have had high hopes for them. Can't wait to see the pics!

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2010-11-18, 2:24pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Well my murrini have accumulated over the years. I don't know why I'm so fascinated with them!

Anyway here are some pics of candy jacks with the black and white murrini and some blue and white murrini that always want to divit on me:

Here is a pink and white murrini (these things divit if you just breathe on them). This is melted into the surface. The white tried to divit - it is just a little bit matte but it isn't encased at all. I still need to work these cooler and keep them warm at the very tip of the flame. These pink and white murrini are among my very favorite so I had to figure out how to make them behave!

Here's a picture of a very misbehaving black and white bullseye murrini. I made and sold this a couple of years ago. The murrini smeared all over the place and it was totally matte:

But here is an example of a good flat application of a white star murrini. Those things want to devit also!

And just because I love this bead here's another pic! This is why I keep buying so many murrini. I made this one a couple of years ago also:

Anyway, back on topic. I really needed to get my Black and White murrini under control because I have so many ideas for them. They are such a great graphic design element when combined with bright colors. And, many people love beads that are just black and white!

Old 2010-11-18, 8:33pm
dances with ideas...

Mary Beth, thanks for the tips. I actually have a little of that black and white murrini. The only time I've tried it was in a wonky candy jack, so thanks for the warning.

I love seeing all of these beads, but I have to say that the one with the pink and white murrini is absolutely stunning. I can't stop looking at it!