LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-11-23, 9:17am

Talking setting up my work table, left overs

Got my torch.. (GTT Cheeth) and my two OxyCon set up. Next question I could use everyone's advise is set up for the table. And what and where to keep small pieces and partially used pulled stringers.

At the Studio where I began there is a much larger work surface. And I generally only brought a selection of glass I planned on using.

It seems like I am fumbling around trying to find things now as I am working. Looking for any advise from the experienced lampworkers.

Thanks
Old 2010-11-23, 9:27am
Gentleman of Leisure

One thing I like and I find them in recycle/reuse stores are old metal ice cube trays.... Throw away the divider set and just use the trays for "everything"....

Another good item for bench top is "oil drip pan" from auto parts.... It is like a giant piece of sheet metal with nice rolled lip that keeps everything corralled on bench top...

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2010-11-23, 11:23am
Crispy Critter

You should check out the Studio section. LOTS of great pictures of all set ups imaginable. It will give you some great ideas.

Old 2010-11-23, 4:03pm
Glass-aholic

magnet strips for tools or knives! I have 3 in my studio, one on the hood vent, one on either side of my bench.I also have the ice cube trays for the water bottles, that are long and thin. I found mine at wal✭mart. 3-4 bucks. I also have a side table set up for frit that I have set on spice shelf risers. I am a VERY visual person. If I don't see it I wont use it
I have my glass stash behind me against the wall in PVC tubes that stand up in crates, rather than lay down on their sides.

Oh and generally I keep glass on my right and tools on my left and have a lazy suzan for jars of shorts, so I can grab a color if i need something else.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:

Last edited by jaci; 2010-11-23 at 4:07pm.
Old 2010-11-24, 1:07am

The best and most common way is to let it sprawl out under your torch. Then you have it all there when you need it. Sometimes that bit of glass that you can't exactly remember what it is, but you kind of think it might be a bit of that one kind, is just the thing for your bead. If you had cleaned your desk and thrown it away, you would never have any fun!

Old 2010-11-24, 4:34am

I bought a bunch of inexpensive cookie sheets. I have some with boro glass and some with soft glass. That way when I want to keep a nice mess going, oops, I mean glass that I was using, out, I just change cookie sheets for what I'm working on at the time. Of course, below the cookie sheet is the grandest pile of glass you've ever seen.