No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-08-17, 6:58am
Queen Tut ;)

Default Amber glass? Boro, BE?

Ok, silly question and shows just how little I know about boro as opposed to soft glass.

Is there a transparent amber/topaz glass that comes in boro? And stays that color (everything I've seen changes colors).

If not, would attempting a 3" tear drop off mandrel piece be easier in Bullseye than 104?

I had someone ask if I could make them 3" teardrops for a project of theirs, and my attempt in 104 failed miserably. 1-2" was manageable (and quite nice!), then it was just rediculous. Perhaps after a few more years of experience, but even then...ugh.

Ideas?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-08-17, 7:12am

I don't know from personal experience, but I would think it would be easier in BE than 104 as BE is stiffer and you would be able to control it a little easier.

Old 2012-08-17, 7:28am

I like Northstar Peach. Kind of an amber peachy flesh tone. Easy to work also.
Old 2012-08-17, 7:30am

The Asian amber is WYSIWYG, quite a nice amber color that stays amber and best of all, it's cheap.
eta-it's boro

Last edited by Three Muses Glass; 2012-08-17 at 7:34am.
Old 2012-08-17, 10:59am
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Muses Glass View Post
The Asian amber is WYSIWYG, quite a nice amber color that stays amber and best of all, it's cheap.
eta-it's boro
That's what I was going to suggest! I think there was some compatibility issues with it though. Probably read it here in some thread.
Old 2012-08-17, 8:21pm
Queen Tut ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Muses Glass View Post
eta-it's boro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie09 View Post
That's what I was going to suggest! I think there was some compatibility issues with it though. Probably read it here in some thread.
I will look into getting some to try. Compatibility won't be an issue for this particular project, but I'll keep it in mind and try not to mix it with the rest of my boro.

Thanks for the suggestions
Jenne

Old 2012-08-17, 8:59pm

I just got an email from ABR that it's on sale. You need some code and I forget what is is right now. If you need it Jenne, PM me OK?
I have not heard of or read or experienced any compatibility with the Asian amber. Not debating what Angie said at all, it's just not my experience with it. (knock on wood) With white yes, black yes but that's it. I use the amber, green and cobalt a lot.

Old 2012-08-20, 6:03am
Queen Tut ;)

Ironically enough, I got their email shortly after asking this question and getting the response for the asian boro. 40% off is killer, I just wish I needed more glass