Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-11-26, 9:02pm

Default Oxygen Purity

I have a 10 LPM concentrator and have it hooked up to a GTT Scorpion torch. I have not been able to fume gold with it. Silver seems to work fine, but not so much with gold. Is there a way to check the purity of oxygen? The gold that I am using is supposed to be 22K, so I don't think that is the issue. The concentrator was supposedly refurbished prior to me getting it. I have moved from VA to FL, so I can't very easily take it to the repair facility to have it checked.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 2014-11-28, 1:08pm

I dont think 1 concentrator will supply enough oxy to be able tomwork effectively with a scorpion. What will suffer is your ability to work at varying flame levels and chemistry as you are most likely working oxygen deprived and therefore reducing most of the time. I am not sure that it should effect your ability to fume gold though. Flame should be small and slightly reducing. please give more detail.
Old 2014-11-28, 2:37pm
Alaska Boro

Using a Scorpion with three 5 LPM machines that work well for fuming 22 K gold. The torch is setup so that the outer ring is always supplied oxygen. Thus it is only necessary to turn on the fuel. This help shape the flame.

One could also try only using the center fire and keeping both the oxygen and fuel off on the outer. That would conserve oxygen.

There are devices available to check purity. The inexpensive ones have about a years use on the sensor. The better units cost in the range of $650.

Last edited by Alaska; 2014-11-28 at 2:40pm.